ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Brees

Status
Not open for further replies.

drubendall

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004
So, with Kaepernick's movement to kneel during the national anthem. Is that about the flag and US soldiers or not?

Drew Brees is in some hot water today for his take.

Some of his teammates and other major sports stars put him on blast as ignorant.

I don't see how that form of protest is NOT a kick in the groin to the men and women who fought and died for our freedom. It is deliberately inflammatory by using a symbol that is sacred to many for the purpose of making a different, unrelated point. It is disingenuous to say that form of protest is not against the flag. Of course it is. I imagine some NFL players will protest again this season assuming there is one. If they do, I'm taking a year off from watching. If they waited until after the anthem and then took a knee in solidarity for a couple of minutes for racial Injustice, I would so be in favor of that.

Oh, and Scott Shanle was an ex Husker who had a terrific career with the Saints fwiw

Reactions: scarletred
Too bad we spent 50 years living under the premise of not talking about sex, religion, and politics because it would offend someone. Now, here we are, needing to talk about them and nobody knows how to because they never learned how to NOT be offended by an different opinion.

If I'm him, I probably don't bring it up again. The NFL felt the pain of that protest and tried to fancy dance their way past it, unsuccessfully. I can guarantee Brees will receive a standing ovation at every stadium he plays in going forward

I go to literally 100 high school football games in the Houston metro. At every game there are 5-7 men who choose to sit there asses in their seats and keep their hats on during the national anthem.

I literally have to fight back the urge to yell stand your ass up and take off your hat. But my wife reminds me that they have the right to not stand and not remove their cover. Doesn't make me feel any better, but she is right.

So, with Kaepernick's movement to kneel during the national anthem. Is that about the flag and US soldiers or not?

Some of his teammates and other major sports stars put him on blast as ignorant.

I don't see how that form of protest is NOT a kick in the groin to the men and women who fought and died for our freedom. It is deliberately inflammatory by using a symbol that is sacred to many for the purpose of making a different, unrelated point. It is disingenuous to say that form of protest is not against the flag. Of course it is. I imagine some NFL players will protest again this season assuming there is one. If they do, I'm taking a year off from watching. If they waited until after the anthem and then took a knee in solidarity for a couple of minutes for racial Injustice, I would so be in favor of that.

Oh, and Scott Shanle was an ex Husker who had a terrific career with the Saints fwiw
We live in a world where if you don't disrespect your country or flag you are a racists. If you don't say what a horrible white person you are, you are racist. Its sad but 100% true. I applaud him for standing up for what he feels is right or wrong.

Idk, I’m in support of people kneeling if that is their protest.

The problem I have anymore is “if you don’t agree with me on everything, you are my enemy” vibe everyone has anymore. It’s divisive and does nothing. People used to be able to sit and have constructive arguments, at least acknowledging the others opinion. Now, it’s your opinion or defriended. Then back to posting some meme propaganda that supports your beliefs.

Drew has done some amazing things for the communities in and around New Orleans. This is just one occasion where he would be wise to listen to teammates and community leaders to fully understand why kneeling isn't remotely disrespectful.

My question for those who question Drew, and it’s a sincere question... why is it that with the current protests why is it ok for those to trash the flag and speak for their beliefs, yet it is wrong for him to “protect” the flag and speak for his beliefs?

I ask that question looking for sincere conversation? Everyone speaks of equality yet equality goes out the window once someone has a different view then yours, where is that equality?

I support Drew Brees... 36 months combat duty Vietnam... father was at Pearl Harbor Dec 7 1941... nuff said...

Idk, I’m in support of people kneeling if that is their protest.

The problem I have anymore is “if you don’t agree with me on everything, you are my enemy” vibe everyone has anymore. It’s divisive and does nothing. People used to be able to sit and have constructive arguments, at least acknowledging the others opinion. Now, it’s your opinion or defriended. Then back to posting some meme propaganda that supports your beliefs.

I'm not in support of them kneeling, but they do because that's their right. DB says why he is against it, in a smart and personal way, and has this child respond the way that he does. It says all that needs to be said. This isn't an either/or scenario. Drew's reasoning doesn't mean he's against civil rights, but the emotionally-stunted left just can't deal. Where is their safe space?

No. You don't get to tell us how we decide to respond to a protest. Free speech is for everyone. You have your freedom to express your opinion and we have our freedom to disagree with it. If the intention was to rile people up and make them angry against you, you have succeeded. You have not helped your cause, but instead hurt it in my opinion. Discrimination along racial lines is horrible. I am dismayed at your ignorance and lack of respect for the sacrifice have so many men and women (in the millions) who have died protecting this country from true fascism. You lose the goodwill and support of everyday Americans of every nationality and creed by protesting in this manner.

My question for those who question Drew, n it’s a sincere question... why is it that with the current protests why is it ok for those to trash the flag and speak for their beliefs, yet it is wrong for him to “protect” the flag and speak for his beliefs?

I ask that question looking for sincere conversation? Everyone speaks of equality yet equality goes out the window once someone has a different view then yours, where is that equality?

Fragile protesters aren’t interested in rational conversations.

Drew has done some amazing things for the communities in and around New Orleans. This is just one occasion where he would be wise to listen to teammates and community leaders to fully understand why kneeling isn't remotely disrespectful.

It is to him. He's doing nothing but explain why he doesn't approve of it. It's not because he disapproves of civil rights. He's doing nothing wrong but verbally disagreeing with someone, in a respectful way . . . yet he's getting shouted down. Maybe if he and a couple hundred people went and set shit on fire, we'd all feel great about him and his message (which is I love and respect my family and the military and what they've done for the Country, I don't agree with people kneeling - I know, truly terrible stuff).

I back him 100%.. He stands for the people that have defended our country...

Protest all you want but don’t use the National anthem for your protesting..

But this is the contrast - Drew disagrees, but still talks to him, interacts with him, doesn't talk shit to him, but this mental and emotional midget tells him to shut the f($k up. This is the contrast.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
An easy fix would be to stop playing the anthem before sporting events or just keep the players in the locker room. Would eliminate this dispute. Maybe with no fans until the fall they can just play the games

Reactions: TheBeav815
An easy fix would be to stop playing the anthem before sporting events or just keep the players in the locker room. Would eliminate this dispute. Maybe with no fans until the fall they can just play the games

Only one‘s see’s the National anthem are the one at the game...TV very rarely show it during the season in less it’s the Super Bowl..

Last edited:

Stop playing the anthem? Those who kneel, apparently, are the only ones that can't deal with the disagreement. Maybe they can just stay in a safe place so they feel comfortable and loved while everyone else can honor the flag.

I don’t think anything that Brees said was offensive in any way. I do however think that his timing was less than ideal and as a result he came off as offensive.

Brees is clearly a good guy. Decades of community outreach and philanthropy bear that out. But I would imagine like an errant deep ball, he wishes he had this one back.

Stop playing the anthem? Those who kneel, apparently, are the only ones that can't deal with the disagreement. Maybe they can just stay in a safe place so they feel comfortable and loved while everyone else can honor the flag.
Yes it's unnecessary. Went to a couple of premier league games in Dec and they started right on the hour. No anthem nonsense just playing.

Only one‘s see’s the National anthem are the one at the game...TV very rarely show it during the season in less it’s the Super Bowl..
Yep its always been a bit of pet peeve. It's faux patriotism. Why do we need an anthem played before a marlins reds game? Super Bowl sure but other wise just play ball

Yep its always been a bit of pet peeve. It's faux patriotism. Why do we need an anthem played before a marlins reds game? Super Bowl sure but other wise just play ball
I’m not sure how I feel about this one... as a person that is currently serving in the military I’ve been ok with people kneeling, and I’d be ok with players taking their pick, either stay in the locker room or come out and pay honors to the flag, but for the first time through any of the thought of taking it out all together really gets my blood boiling... I don’t fight for a country that represents racism and I don’t want my brothers who have paid the ultimate price for the very freedom to kneel to be forgotten... there has to be a middle ground here... the last time I check the flag, and the national anthem do not stand for racism, it stands for a country that stands together... I love this country and whole heartedly think it is the best country there is, however our country is currently losing its sights of basic human rights, both sides want all or nothing we either all stand or we don’t play it...

None of this has anything to do with wanting to disrespect US Troops or the flag. How do so many white people keep missing the point. How can you still be complelety blind to the real issues!!

Outside of sports, black people do not feel equal in this country. Black people feel the need to be as "white" as possible in the business world because being black isn't acceptable. Black people are scared to death of any run in with cops as it may result in death. Black people feel like no one else understands whats going on. Kaep peacefully tried raising awareness around concerns but white people completey missed the point. NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN ABOUT THE FLAG OR OUR TROOPS!

How do you still not understand???

Since the peaceful protest (kneeling) only resulted in Kaep being unemployed and did nothing to shed light on any of the real issues, there now are protest, riots, and chaos in the streets. Black people want the country to notice their concerns. Black citizens want to feel like this is their country too.

Saying this is about disrespecting the flag and our troops shows that you are completely blind to whats going on or you choose to ignore the issues.

None of this has anything to do with wanting to disrespect US Troops or the flag. How do so many white people keep missing the point. How can you still be complelety blind to the real issues!!

Outside of sports, black people do not feel equal in this country. Black people feel the need to be as "white" as possible in the business world because being black isn't acceptable. Black people are scared to death of any run in with cops as it may result in death. Black people feel like no one else understands whats going on. Kaep peacefully tried raising awareness around concerns but white people completey missed the point. NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN ABOUT THE FLAG OR OUR TROOPS!

Since the peaceful protest (kneeling) only resulted in Kaep being unemployed and did nothing to shed light on any of the real issues, there now are protest, riots, and chaos in the streets. Black people want the country to notice their concerns. Black citizens want to feel like this is their country too.

Saying this is about disrespecting the flag and our troops shows that you are completely blind to whats going on or you choose to ignore the issues.
I can't even begin to comprehend your level of stupidity

This guys gets it!

What is “being black.” How do those black people who act white distinguish themselves from those who don’t act white. Mods, please keep this open.

I do wonder what those black people who don’t care for it are thinking, but they must just be trying to act like a white person.

Last edited:
What is “being black.” How do those black people who act white distinguish themselves from those who don’t act white. Mods, please keep this open.
If you don't know what I mean by "being black" then you likely aren't black. Ask any of your black friends.

Mods, please keep this open!

Reactions: kakdawg
If you don't know what I mean by "being black" then you likely aren't black. Ask any of your black friends.

Mods, please keep this open!
You tell me. You clearly know all about this, everyone else just doesn’t get it. C’mon smart guy, enlighten me.

Not sure this is the right thread, but they are all sort of running together in my mind at this point.

African American man, who lives in the neighborhood, is upset that he is pulled over at 1:00 am driving through a predominantly white neighborhood at a rate of speed slower than the speed limit. - everyone is up in arms

White guy - who doesn't live in the neighborhood, is pulled over for driving at at rate of speed slower than the posted limit. He gets spooked and leaves the neighborhood. No one ever hears from him.

African American male running through the neighborhood at 1:00 am, gets pulled over by police or neighborhood watch and asked what he is doing. He says he lives in the neighborhood, provides ID and is sent home. Next morning, he calls the local news or posts on social media about being profiled.

White guy our running at 1:00 am, gets pulled over by police or neighborhood watch and asked what his is doing. He says he lives in the neighborhood, provides ID and is sent home. Next morning......goes about his day.

Is it possible this happens?

You tell me. You clearly know all about this, everyone else just doesn’t get it. C’mon smart guy, enlighten me.

No, please elaborate.
I am a former college athlete and I now have a career. I am a black male who just happens to have a lot of black friends who also have careers. We vent. I speak from experience.

Now you both enlighten me on why black people are so frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT