ADVERTISEMENT

Do you still think Frost is the man to lead us to prominence?

Not only will frost lead us back to prominence but yes yes yes
That’s very cryptic.
Anyone know info on this? I heard guys like Chinander so I’m willing to give him another year. These players have had some shitty coaches. Riley and a young Frost.

Watts and Bland weren't Nebraska kids and neither had any recruiting analyst indicating that they were going to make it. We've had 2 kids from Nebraska make it who multiple people on this board were saying had no chance to qualify.

So where the player is from makes the difference? You're using Mo as an example of a player that made it, but he wasn't a Nebraska kid. Who are the Nebraska kids you are talking about?

Reactions: KinnicksRightFoot
He either is or he’ll go down as the worst HC for Nebraska in modern football.

this is the lowest our fan base has ever been going into the off-season. Really hard to be pumped about anything’s. We’ve missed bowl games 5 times in most of our lifetimes (sorry old timers)

2004- new coach, new system. Had a consensus top 5 recruiting system. Lots of positives for all.
2007- BC was fired. Bo hire was a crowd pleaser. Reason to believe again
2017- MR fired. We got Frost, the hottest coach in the nation. again, things to look forward to at the end of the season
2018- finished the season 4-2 in our last 6. Team really seemed to be developing. AM looked legit. We had the opportunity to win against tOSU and Iowa.

2019- 2-6 in our last 8. 3rd straight year without a bowl. Our QB looks awful and our staff seems married to him. Bad play calling was evident throughout the year. Our recruiting class isn’t sexy and may be the worst ranked in many years. Our best commit seems unlikely to qualify. It’s just really hard to find a positive in the program right now.

Great post!

Reactions: spinner4
So where the player is from makes the difference? You're using Mo as an example of a player that made it, but he wasn't a Nebraska kid. Who are the Nebraska kids you are talking about?
The most recent one just entered the transfer portal. Most thought he was a bit of a reach to begin with. Can't remember his name and too tired to look it up. Jaylin Bradley was another but he came in under Riley. IF they're in Nebraska it is so much easier for NU to keep an eye on their academics and to make sure they're doing what they need to do to qualify. Frost is well aquaintted with many of the high school coaches and counselors in the state and that helps. It's a different ball game when you've got some doesn't give a sh## guidance counselor at some crappy public school in Louisiana.

I do think that with all 11 starters coming back on offense, and the addition of a lot of talented offensive players, our offense is going to be very tough to stop. Even with Frost making some real head-scratcher play calls at times, we are going to be good on that side of the ball

My concern is again on the defensive side of the ball. We lose a lot of size and experience on the DLine. Not sure how much talent there was up front, but that is a lot of experience. But we still have the same coaches teaching the system, which in and of itself makes me nervous. The coaches on that side of the ball are going to have to do a lot to convince me that they shouldn't be sent packing at this point.
With another year in the weight room I don't think the size thing will be a problem for our D line next fall. We've got some big dudes coming back and that Hutmacher kid will come in at a ripped 300+ after he's done cutting weight so he can wrestle this winter. The young D linemen looked pretty good in their few reps they got this year.

There are bright spots on this roster. That is why I'm not as concerned as other posters about the technical side of our coaching. Players like Lamar Jackson, while not perfect have decidedly improved over 2 years. We had walk-ons and players out of position in our DB room and were still competitive back there. While LB has not been a bright spot, JoJo and Nelson show a lot of promise and have the right attitude. Our DL improved this year and that with a coaching change.

Our offense was a huge disappointment to me this season. Given that Frost is an offensive guy, it is problematic to me that he was unable to diagnose his own team and understand the struggles that were coming. Our RB room seems like a disaster to me. Mills has come on at the end and I'm happy with him. Losing Mo, needing to play WR there, having walk-ons on the 2-deep, etc etc. This is not good. I'm not sure next year is any better. Johnson looked very small. If Mills goes down, we will have trouble back there. The OL, well, we see what happened there throughout the year, but there is hope for people like Cam. TE continue to disappoint in this offense. WR is just, I don't even know. Frost and Walters depend on wide receivers in this offense and don't seem able to recruit good ones. QB, well I'm not even going to start that debate, but it isn't at all stable to me.

There are bright spots on this roster. That is why I'm not as concerned as other posters about the technical side of our coaching. Players like Lamar Jackson, while not perfect have decidedly improved over 2 years. We had walk-ons and players out of position in our DB room and were still competitive back there. While LB has not been a bright spot, JoJo and Nelson show a lot of promise and have the right attitude. Our DL improved this year and that with a coaching change.

Our offense was a huge disappointment to me this season. Given that Frost is an offensive guy, it is problematic to me that he was unable to diagnose his own team and understand the struggles that were coming. Our RB room seems like a disaster to me. Mills has come on at the end and I'm happy with him. Losing Mo, needing to play WR there, having walk-ons on the 2-deep, etc etc. This is not good. I'm not sure next year is any better. Johnson looked very small. If Mills goes down, we will have trouble back there. The OL, well, we see what happened there throughout the year, but there is hope for people like Cam. TE continue to disappoint in this offense. WR is just, I don't even know. Frost and Walters depend on wide receivers in this offense and don't seem able to recruit good ones. QB, well I'm not even going to start that debate, but it isn't at all stable to me.
The RB room is going to better and deeper next fall. Zero doubt about that. WR is a HUGE area of need. IMO, the offensive problems start with injuries to AM and breaking in two very young first time players on the interior line. We lost Hunt and LeGrone and they were both going to play at positions of need. Mo loses his mind and Wandale gets beat up. There were a lot of factors that we didn't have the depth to overcome. I am very optimistic about the offense given the way we played against some damned good defenses in Iowa and Wisconsin.

Reactions: pahusker139
I know there are a lot of negative nancys here who will spew their venom. I'd like to hear from more moderate posters. Given everything you've seen, everything you expect, new facilities, current recruiting projections and all other variables you can think of what does your heart and mind tell you today?

I for one believed very strongly in this hire. He was my top choice because he was N, he was a winner, he's been a part of impressive coaching staffs, he has experience on both sides of the ball.

To this point, the playcalling and reliance on a mediocre qb have baffled me. I think good coaching would be evident on defense and special teams by now. We did improve notably in penalties this year which is impressive.

At this point, I'd say I have some grave concerns. Loyalty and consistency WERE a calling card of the Husker program for decades. While the offense has been frustrating and that falls on Frost, I believe poor coaching is evident in several key areas. Elite coaches replace dead wood, friends or not, if they have been given a chance and have been found wanting, subpar. I'd say today I only half believe now that Frost will get it turned around to the point many of us expected. Concerningly, he appears to be stubborned (whether he remains too stubborned remains to be seen) to the point it impacts play on the field. Also, from what I've read here, he has several times thrown the players under the bus. This scares me.

Lastly, given our upcoming heavy loaded schedules I am concerned we may not have a winning season, or back to back winning seasons for some time yet.

Hope is what I have to hang on to at this point. Scott has disappointed in many areas, but as he learns on the job, I hope he'll figure it all out.

I’m an Iowa fan, disclaimer. But please take my feedback as objective.

Nebraska is too premier a program to hire someone that can “grow into the role” or “let him learn”.

Anyone who thinks that, is insane and doesn’t understand D1 college football. You cannot hire “your boy” with little high level D1 experience and expect wins. It’s very clear in his post game interviews that he’s in way over his head.

This hire is a train wreck for your program. You hired him based on a season at UCF.

Nebraska is too premier a program to hire someone that can “grow into the role” or “let him learn”.

Anyone who thinks that, is insane and doesn’t understand D1 college football. You cannot hire “your boy” with little high level D1 experience and expect wins. It’s very clear in his post game interviews that he’s in way over his head.

This hire is a train wreck for your program. You hired him based on a season at UCF.
you may be right. time will tell.

The most recent one just entered the transfer portal. Most thought he was a bit of a reach to begin with. Can't remember his name and too tired to look it up. Jaylin Bradley was another but he came in under Riley. IF they're in Nebraska it is so much easier for NU to keep an eye on their academics and to make sure they're doing what they need to do to qualify. Frost is well aquaintted with many of the high school coaches and counselors in the state and that helps. It's a different ball game when you've got some doesn't give a sh## guidance counselor at some crappy public school in Louisiana.

You're talking about a walk-on, Moses Bryant. That really doesn't help the point you are trying to make.

I know there are a lot of negative nancys here who will spew their venom. I'd like to hear from more moderate posters. Given everything you've seen, everything you expect, new facilities, current recruiting projections and all other variables you can think of what does your heart and mind tell you today?

I for one believed very strongly in this hire. He was my top choice because he was N, he was a winner, he's been a part of impressive coaching staffs, he has experience on both sides of the ball.

To this point, the playcalling and reliance on a mediocre qb have baffled me. I think good coaching would be evident on defense and special teams by now. We did improve notably in penalties this year which is impressive.

At this point, I'd say I have some grave concerns. Loyalty and consistency WERE a calling card of the Husker program for decades. While the offense has been frustrating and that falls on Frost, I believe poor coaching is evident in several key areas. Elite coaches replace dead wood, friends or not, if they have been given a chance and have been found wanting, subpar. I'd say today I only half believe now that Frost will get it turned around to the point many of us expected. Concerningly, he appears to be stubborned (whether he remains too stubborned remains to be seen) to the point it impacts play on the field. Also, from what I've read here, he has several times thrown the players under the bus. This scares me.

Lastly, given our upcoming heavy loaded schedules I am concerned we may not have a winning season, or back to back winning seasons for some time yet.

Hope is what I have to hang on to at this point. Scott has disappointed in many areas, but as he learns on the job, I hope he'll figure it all out.

Yes.

Losing begets more losing. More losing takes away some of the sting of losing until it doesn't bother people as much(apathy - in players & fanbase). They begin to find moral victories when wins are tough to come by. Recruiting becomes increasingly difficult, which keeps you stuck where you are. It becomes a rut that you can't climb out of. I fear that we are there. Scott will find it harder to get people to believe the more we witness below average coaching & recruiting & lose close games. This off season will tell volumes. He either becomes a true head coach and makes some difficult CEO decisions, or we will continue to struggle if he is only concerned with the offense as a OC.

Think No, Hope Yes.

Coming in I 100% believed he would flip this. Now, Im not as confident. I do think he gives us the best shot to turn this around. If he can't do it, I honestly don't see it happening again. I could see us falling off for the next 20+ yrs. If he can't get it done, what level of coach do we get? No chance we lure away an already proven p5 coach. The only coaches we will get will be G5 coaches or P5 assistants. If they do have success they will bail for a better p5 school.

This says it all. When Frost was hired by NU, I don't think anyone would have made this statement no matter how true it is today.

Frost will lead Nebraska back
To 12-0 reg seasons. Nebraska will destroy Ohio
State by 2021. Just give it some time.

Coming in I 100% believed he would flip this. Now, Im not as confident. I do think he gives us the best shot to turn this around. If he can't do it, I honestly don't see it happening again. I could see us falling off for the next 20+ yrs. If he can't get it done, what level of coach do we get? No chance we lure away an already proven p5 coach. The only coaches we will get will be G5 coaches or P5 assistants. If they do have success they will bail for a better p5 school.

We didn’t lure away a proven p5 coach with the last hire - we rolled the dice with a G5 coach just like Arkansas did

success at lower tier schools does not guarantee success in big boy leagues

Last edited:
No i am not Scotts dad. But just believe it will happen. Stay positive help bring in the recruits. Soon you will have an Iowa/ Wisconsin defense.
Coupled with an tremendous offense.

Who do you think would have been a better hire at the time?

Who do you think would have been a better hire at the time?

Exactly, any other choice that would have been worth a shit would have more likely turned us down..

And it Moos would have picked someone other than SF he would have been run out of town and burned to the stake so too speak..

i'm not convinced we couldn't get very good coaches to interview here and take the job. we have a large wallet, and a huge football budget. it could be a ferrari but we've had clowns driving it like a chevy nova.

A few things that set a great coach apart from all the rest, IMO:
1- Ability to recruit
2- Ability to make smart in-game decisions
3- Ability to recognize and hire the right assistants
4- Willingness to fire unproductive assistants
5- Ability to make smart personnel moves (i.e., when to sit players, etc.)

Today, how would you rate Frost on these 5 items?

1- Ability to recruit

1. C plus to B
2. F
3. D- he can make this up to a B in a few weeks maybe.
4. Incomplete
5. D plus- playing frosh 1 play ?
6. True

1- Ability to recruit

I would add attention to small details.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT