ADVERTISEMENT

Do you buy what Scott Frost is selling?

BigNUFan51

Walk On
Nov 29, 2015
He says the Nebraska program has greatly improved in his three years at the helm. He cites:

1) Strength and Conditioning
2) Talent Level
3) Practice intensity

Do you believe him? Or do you need to see tangible results (wins) before you buy in?

We are in year 3 of a program that has shown no important improvements anywhere. No victories of any importance. No bowl games. No real development of players. Many busts with highly touted, highly recruited players. The players and coaching staff do like to talk a lot at press conferences though. I've certainly seen and heard enough for now.

I think 2 of those 3 have improved, and none of us go to practice so we'll never know there

however, none of those 3 will much matter when it comes to the discipline and attention to detail required to actually win

maybe he should go train Mr Universe contestants instead of coaching football?

I need to see a disciplined team capable of a full 4 qtrs. I need to see Frost come up with a whole bunch more than QB scrambles, draws., stop with the sideline throws.

No, I just don’t believe Frost’s words, I‘m a doubting Thomas, I want to see what he’s peddling on game day.

He says the Nebraska program has greatly improved in his three years at the helm. He cites:

2) Talent Level
3) Practice intensity

Do you believe him? Or do you need to see tangible results (wins) before you buy in?

If we have improved in this areas, it is very marginally. And being marginally better than Mike Riley in these areas is still terrible.

Talent Level? Many of our best players this year were still Riley recruits (Jaimes, Domann, Allen, Stille, Bootle, Dismuke). If you told me when Frost was hired, that in Year 3 we would have two walk-ons starting at WR, I wouldn't have believed you. Which of Frost's recruits will get drafted to the NFL? Cam Taylor, anyone else?

Reactions: HuskerDana
If we have improved in this areas, it is very marginally. And being marginally better than Mike Riley in these areas is still terrible.

Talent Level? Many of our best players this year were still Riley recruits (Jaimes, Domann, Allen, Stille, Bootle, Dismuke). If you told me when Frost was hired, that in Year 3 we would have two walk-ons starting at WR, I wouldn't have believed you. Which of Frost's recruits will get drafted to the NFL? Cam Taylor, anyone else?

Wandale is a first round pick. Farmer will be in that conversation as well.

CTB is a tweener draft pick IMO

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

2) Talent Level
3) Practice intensity

1). Don’t care
2). Don’t care and not buying it
3). You play how you practice and we have the intensity hot diarrhea...so practice must be awful.

Not buying any of the crap he is selling. His program is a flailing mess.

1). Don’t care
2). Don’t care and not buying it
3). You play how you practice and we have the intensity hot diarrhea...so practice must be awful.

Not buying any of the crap he is selling. His program is a flailing mess.
Need to see results on the field.

2) Talent Level
3) Practice intensity

There's no evidence of any of this. If this was true, we'd be a much better team. This obviously isn't true.

2) Talent Level
3) Practice intensity

I too question the validity of this stuff.

Some guys, look like they have lifted weights. Other guys don't look like they do at all. You can see this just by looking at the arms of the top two QB's. So it must be optional.. because the results say it is.

I too think he turned the roster over and pushed a lot of talent out the door. Some of our best defenders are Riley's guys that have stayed, but then we have a lot of talent come in and then leave without ever seeing the field, so I'm not sure the talent level on the field is actually better than what we had. The record doesn't say it is.

I don't know what practices have been like this year, but I have a real hard time believing that they are like the old days where mid week practices were such a grind that Saturdays felt like a light day. I don't believe for a second it's anything like that.

Reactions: oldjar07

2) Talent Level
3) Practice intensity

1) S&C - Yes I think it's better.
2) Talent - It's spotty. It's better in some areas but we still have some problems. I think we have good talent in the OL&DL rooms. I think we need better talent at OLB and ILB. This recruiting class helps a little with the ILB's. I think the DB's have some talent but we are thin there.
I think the WR's are going to trend up. Not sure about RB's. I want to see how Morrison does. I think we are thin there. Qb's - I want to see what Smothers can do. Luke is a talent running the ball. Not sure on passing yet? I think he would be best as WR. Same with A-mart, I actually think he would be better at RB. I actually think both would be better in Osborne's old offense if they were trained in it. I like our incoming TE talent and Allen is a talent. So overall it's a little better but we have to continue to develop, get deeper and address a few positions.
3) Got to take his word for that. I have no idea. There is one thing that I don't agree and that's how they address execution? I also am not a big believer in "mental reps". Kids in college need to get real time practice plays & games played. They are not pros. I have no idea if they are running multiple stations or not, or if they are just standing around? If you are going to carry a roster of 150, then you need to be running multiple stations.

Overall, I believe him. The problem is execution&mistakes. I want to see them fix mistakes on the practice field rather than film room. The up-tempo offense is a gimmick to me that teams and refs are slowly taking away.
I want to see better play-calling&clock management. Play calling that takes in time&distance considerations. I want to see more of a power element as that fits midwestern body types and our weather. (See Osborne philosophy) I think they could move to a power spread or call plays with more power easily enough. That would help with clock management&control and give our defense a break.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
I don't think Wandale is actually that good. I love his spirit and drive, but he's so small and gets tackled very easily. It's probably happened, but I don't recall seeing him juke someone and get past them. He makes some nice catches and all, but I'm not even sure he is NFL material at this point. He will get better as he spends more time in the system, so it remains to be seen since he is such a young player. Great heart and drive though.

Reactions: oldjar07
Imagine being a salesman for a vacuum company that just doesn't vacuum dirt up very well. Either you blow smoke up your clients ass about how well it tests in studies, use paid for reviews , and talk about how good it looks out of the box. Either you keep selling that inferior product or you are going to eventually get fired because all of your customers are going to know the vacuum really is just terrible. Frost either keeps using smoke and mirrors through the media or the fan base and recruiting class continues to crumble.

Harry C, FTW.

With Friday's game technically being within a normal game week practice, we should expect to see a blowout win. I mean, we always here how great the practices are, right? Maybe that is the problem.....NU needs to just play the actual games during a week of practice.

Reactions: CatColumbia
With Friday's game technically being within a normal game week practice, we should expect to see a blowout win. I mean, we always here how great the practices are, right? Maybe that is the problem.

Haha but our boy AMart has a bad shoulder so his 6 yard completions will now be for only 3 yards. And Luke can only throw a 10-yard post down the middle to a fully covered tight end. We’re screwed my friend.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT