ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Khaled banner in the Iron N

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
I have read some stories about the work the students put in to make that huge banner.
But do other people know who DJ Khaled is? Is he like a big deal? Does he have any connection to Nebraska? I didn't really understand, but do understand that I am old and not cool

Reactions: SOHusker11
Famous rapper. Doesn't have ties to NU that I'm aware of. He's known for saying "another one" in his music. We used it as another sellout. At least that's how I took it.

What's a rapper?

:)
full.png

latest

b3e9e649d63e5f46cfced6968e130660.jpg

af4f555b0c003901d1cd48f16fdb15929f1c653a90d4b1f2f448b5ddcc8f73dc_1.jpg

snickersstill-better-rapper-than-lil-wayne.png

I was a little confused on the whole thing too. They said they wanted to do a DJ Khaled(who I'd never heard of before yesterday) banner because it would appeal to high school students, who I guess we are to assume know who this guy is and encourage them to come to Nebraska. I guess I don't get why that's supposed to encourage people to come to Nebraska. They said they specifically eschewed something to do with usual Husker themes because they wanted to make something like this their "thing". Well, we're not just some random school-we're Nebraska. What's wrong with being who we are?
Just looking around with stories about this-it appears some people thought it was cool. I guess old fogeys in their 40s like me aren't supposed to get it.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Is there any confirmation that young people even know who this guy is? I mean I'm 36 and I still manage to know some relevant hip hop dudes. And I haven't heard of him. Does he have a hit? From the article I read, it sounds like he snapchats alot of positive messages saying "you can do it" "follow your dreams" ...etc. Which i guess is nice, but not exactly hardcore apealling.

Is there any confirmation that young people even know who this guy is? I mean I'm 36 and I still manage to know some relevant hip hop dudes. And I haven't heard of him. Does he have a hit? From the article I read, it sounds like he snapchats alot of positive messages saying "you can do it" "follow your dreams" ...etc. Which i guess is nice, but not exactly hardcore apealling.
It sounds like maybe you really have to be into social media to know about him. I've wondered about things like this too that are so social media related-there seems to be a whole world of people in social media that are huge stars in that realm but are virtually unknown outside of it. I just wonder if he's really that popular among the high school age crowd or maybe these people are so wrapped up in their own social media world that they think he's more well-known to that crowd than he really is.

Ok seems I'm the only one who has heard of the dude. Maybe I need to re-evaluate where I am in life, lol. Kidding aside, I'd bet a pretty penny at least 90% of our committed recruits heard of him, but liking his music is another story.

The way I look at it is as long as the guy honored with the banner isn't a criminal or shady guy, I'm all for the students making the banner. They are taking the Cornhusker experience and making it their own. If it is not fun for them and if they don't feel "part of it", our brand will diminish due to their non-participation in the future. Us guys and gals who grew up with Devaney and Bremser will be gone sooner or later. We are just the caretakers for now, NU football has been around long before us and will be here long after.

Reactions: SOHusker11
This is a pretty hip board hunh? Lol. Alot of you probably don't know him because he is mostly famous as a hip-hop producer and radio DJ. Had a few hits 5 or 6 years ago.

His big thing right now is saying "another one" as in continued, predictable, success. Thus, why the banner makes sense. The sellout streak continues, so "another one."

I don't think it was intended to appeal to 40 year old message board members. Just know that it was a cool and unique idea and high schoolers and recruits get it and will think it's cool.

The other thing he likes to say is, "We the best!"

I would like that part of his work to enter our vernacular again.

22 year old certified rap expert here. DJ Khaled is a popular rapper. Before every one of his songs starts he says " another one". Its his slogan basically. Listen to the first 12 seconds of the linked vid.

Cool. Glad to know it makes sense to the kids/recruits. Can he bring Nicki Minaj to Lincoln. THAT would sign some 4stars!

His latest album was #1 on billboard when it debuted. He's basically just a producer, most of his songs are a bunch of rappers and he just yells random things in the background. That terrible "all I do is win" song that every team for 3 years played at the end of games they won was him.

DJ Khaled has a large following on Snapchat. He has a philosophy on life that involves things that are "major key", which he posts to his snapchat feed, but with an emoji that looks like a skeleton key. For example, a quick video of DJ Khaled on a jetski.....Major Key. This is also the name of his tracklist he released this summer.

He seems like a nice guy.

University should capitalize, and get him to the next home game. Good for everyone involved (sell tracks, sell recruits). Better than Chuck Lidell and Larry the CG.

University should capitalize, and get him to the next home game. Good for everyone involved (sell tracks, sell recruits). Better than Chuck Lidell and Larry the CG.

Nothing wrong with Larry the Cable Guy. Agree with you on DJ Khaled. This is not for the older crowd. It's college students and they will get that. I didn't get it at first. I do now.

I am 26, went through high school and college listening to a lot of songs produced by DJ khaled on repeat before my games (played basketball at Morningside College in Sioux City, IA). He is actually a very big name in hip hop. Not known near as much as a rapper as he is a producer. Most notably, "All I do is Win", "Welcome to my Hood", "We Takin Over", "I'm so Hood" and my personal favorite "Go Hard". Having been out of college for 5 years and not up to date on music as much as I once was, I have to assume he still has a large influence on the music industry and considered "cool", "on fleek", or "lit"... whichever way you want to put it. Personally think it's a great thing that the student body is being so involved in stuff like this. I think it goes the extra mile with recruits and shows that not only are the 30-60 year olds crazy about Husker football, but the student body and administration as a whole fully support the team and whatever it takes to show them love. Some may not like it, to each his own. I personally, love it. Go Big Red!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT