ADVERTISEMENT

Did Nebraska take Erik Chinander?

jj1987

Sep 13, 2007
Hey Guys,

Did Nebraska take Erik Chinander? I feel like if you guys take our head coach, it's only fair you get rid of Chins for us to help lessen the blow.

Reactions: SADUCFKNIGHT17
Yes. Appears so. But it appears we think he is a great hire. So there's that.

Just stop. This shtick is beyond old, already.
Get over yourself. They are not well-schemed and it was obvious. I am sick of watching those defenses. I guess you aren't.
So maybe open your eyes

Yes. Appears so. But it appears we think he is a great hire. So there's that.
Great. I'm thankful you're getting him out of Orlando (it's the least you could do for taking Frost haha), and also happy that you guys are excited to have him.

These coaches are class acts, and I sincerely hope they do great things for you guys in the future.

Great. I'm thankful you're getting him out of Orlando (it's the least you could do for taking Frost haha), and also happy that you guys are excited to have him.

These coaches are class acts, and I sincerely hope they do great things for you guys in the future.
Good luck to you guys. Unfortunately we received these same warnings about Diaco, but the same thing happened.
Now look how some trash him. College football is a crazy thing.

I think he is a great recruiter and is getting better every year as a D. Coordinator. It was only his first or second year in that position? Give him time and I think it won't be long till he is at a G5 school as a Head coach.

For the first time since Tom left I feel like Nebraska is back on track. I am not saying this is an immediate turn around because its not (6 wins next year and a culture mindset change is a Win in my good) but in three years I feel we are Big 10 Contenders and top 8-12 team with things getting better each year.

The 40 years in the dessert are coming to an end!

Good luck to you guys. Unfortunately we received these same warnings about Diaco, but the same thing happened.
Now look how some trash him. College football is a crazy thing.
It's all about what did you do for me last year. Look at our neighbors to the north, their coach got canned 2 years after being SEC coach of the year.

Eventually donors will get exhausted paying millions to coaches no longer coaching, but I don't see that happening soon.

Scoring Defense Rankings:
UCF 53rd
Nebraska 116th

I'd say he's a step up.

Defending AAC level talent greater than defending B1G level talent, seems legit.

tenor.gif

Reactions: huskerssalts
I thought they blitzed way too much. Don't get me wrong, I love the blitz but too much of a good thing can hurt you. Blitzing against the run puts a lot of stress on the d.

Live by the blitz, die by the blitz.

Think that will have to get tempered a little in the BIG.

53rd is pretty good for them so guess. Their schedule was ranked 66th.
Not to bring facts in but UCF played the #2 and #9 offenses in the nation, after playing for 10 and 11 straight weeks. Nebraska gave up 50+ to Minnesota and Iowa. Chin will improve just by moving to the big 10 where "game managers" are the only qbs ever recruited.

Not to bring facts in but UCF played the #2 and #9 offenses in the nation, after playing for 10 and 11 straight weeks. Nebraska gave up 50+ to Minnesota and Iowa. Chin will improve just by moving to the big 10 where "game managers" are the only qbs ever recruited.

Look I'm elated that Scott is our new coach and I hope that Chin is a successful DC at Nebraska. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the defensive product we have seen so far. And if you aren't worried then you just haven't been paying attention. I hope what we have seen so far just means that the AAC is the PAC12 of the southeast. All offense and no defense.

#FACTS

Scoring defenses played by 3 of the top 16 Scoring Offenses

Memphis #2
La. Monroe #125
UCF #55
UCLA #117
So. Illinois #74(FCS)
UCONN #121
Navy #85
Houston #39
Tulane #84
Tulsa #120
SMU #112
E. Carolina #129(Dead Last in FBS)
Average defensive ranking 96.5

SMU #8
Stephen F. Austin #90(FCS)
North Texas #106
TCU #12
Ark. St. #51
Cincinnati #97
Memphis #104
UCF #55
UCONN #121
Navy #85
Houston #39
Tulane #84
Tulsa #120
Average defensive ranking 80.3

USF #16
San Jose St. #126
Stony Brook #29(FCS)
Illinois #91
Temple #74
UCF #55
UCONN #121
Houston #39
Tulane #84
Tulsa #120
Cincinnati #97
Average defensive ranking 87.7

So you are right, lets bring facts to this. If your are going to throw around their offensive rankings then you need to include their opponents defensive rankings, it's all relative.

Yes we have to be fair here. We got a great coach in Frost. But I won’t defend the DC. That’s the AAC conference, of course they should do well or better. Two, you can tell Diaco lost the reins and the defensive players quit on him or it would not have been as bad. Before that happened, we were starting to make a little progression. I’m not saying I want Diaco over Chin... but we could have tried to upgrade the DC spot with this new chapter we are starting. But I will support, be patient and trust in Frost. Just like I did with Riley, Bo, Callahan and so on....I’m a Husker fan and I’ll always back my team, players and staff alike.

Here's the deal though. When rating a defense, you have to allow for the type of offense the team is running. Historically, teams that run a fast striking spread offense or the run & shoot passing offense, have weaker defenses statistically. If you want great defensive stats, a running game based, grind it out offense is the way to go.

See how this works? Nebraska fans are only alright with you voicing an opinion on coaches if it's an outsider.

GBR.
They are all outsiders. I guess since I hate Nebraska I will stop wanting them to do better.

Here's the deal though. When rating a defense, you have to allow for the type of offense the team is running. Historically, teams that run a fast striking spread offense or the run & shoot passing offense, have weaker defenses statistically. If you want great defensive stats, a running game based, grind it out offense is the way to go.
All you have to do is go back in Husker history and how fast scoring offenses affect the defensive side of the ball. When Gill, Rozier and Fryer were scoring at will the defense suffered. The Husker defense spent more time on the field then the offense

Look I'm elated that Scott is our new coach and I hope that Chin is a successful DC at Nebraska. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the defensive product we have seen so far. And if you aren't worried then you just haven't been paying attention. I hope what we have seen so far just means that the AAC is the PAC12 of the southeast. All offense and no defense.

#FACTS

Scoring defenses played by 3 of the top 16 Scoring Offenses

Memphis #2
La. Monroe #125
UCF #55
UCLA #117
So. Illinois #74(FCS)
UCONN #121
Navy #85
Houston #39
Tulane #84
Tulsa #120
SMU #112
Average defensive ranking 96.5

SMU #8
Stephen F. Austin #90(FCS)
North Texas #106
TCU #12
Ark. St. #51
Cincinnati #97
Memphis #104
UCF #55
UCONN #121
Navy #85
Houston #39
Tulane #84
Tulsa #120
Average defensive ranking 80.3

USF #16
San Jose St. #126
Stony Brook #29(FCS)
Illinois #91
Temple #74
UCF #55
UCONN #121
Houston #39
Tulane #84
Tulsa #120
Cincinnati #97
Average defensive ranking 87.7

So you are right, lets bring facts to this. If your are going to throw around their offensive rankings then you need to include their opponents defensive rankings, it's all relative.
Nationwide stats when teams don't play exactly the same schedules are dangerous things. IF Diaco had put an average D on the field this past year, Riley would have probably won 7-8 games and maybe still be our head coach......One also has to consider this was only UCF's 2nd year in this system and they were playing a lot of underclassmen. We won't really know what Chinander can do with a D until he's had time to recruit to it and have guys in it who have been working in it for several years. I also think Frost is a very bright guy and trusts Chinander's ability so I'll have to go with that.

Thanks. It looks like they didn't improve much last year to this year. I wonder why

They sucked before. They went 0-12. As we know, it takes some time to get talent in the locker room and then on the field. They are young. And with the style of offense that is played they’re never going to be a great defense. I’m going to try and find out what the points per possession is and how it compares to other teams. I think that is more telling. Does anybody really think Wisconsin has the best defense in the country? Or do they have a good defense that has an offense that limits their time on the field?

In order to win championships, a championship level D is needed. Scott Frost knows the history and the expectations of the Nebraska defense. As far as Chinander goes, Frost obviously has confidence in him or he wouldn't be bringing him. Eight of the 11 defensive starters were on the 0 win team, mostly 2* and low 3* guys. It appears the NT is a converted Olineman. Four players on UCF's D were first team All-AAC and two were second team. UCF led the nation in interceptions.

I watch all the UCF games and that defense is a total mess. They are confused as can be. GUYS ARE WIDE OPEN. Sucks they lost frost but THANK YOU FOR TAKING CHINS!!!! he sucks

except for the 0-12 year UCF has always had a solid defense. But I never EVER seen guy wide open. Watch the past 2 games coach Chins is just massively confused with straight fly routes. have fun with that

How about we let the man coach a game or two before we pronounce him the next Diaco/Cosgrove? Or "Cosco" for short.

My goodness, Frost has been our coach for one day and we are already criticizing his staff choices?

Good grief
I agree. Not meaning to criticize. Just trying to get a feel for him. Sounds to me like he has done well enough with what he had to work with.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
We have ripped past coaches for bad hires of buddies, but to me the key is whether buddy hires that don't work out are addressed. For all of Riley's limitations he was willing to part with long time OSU buddies. If Chinander or others aren't successful, will Scott can them? After only two years as a head coach and with phenomenal success in year 2, canning coaches wasn't needed. So we have no history to predict if he will hang on to non-performing coaches. But at this point how can anyone argue that any or all of his assistants are not deserving of NU jobs?

Running up tempo spread offenses means gassing your own defense as well as that of the opponent. So even the best DC is going to give up yardage as a game goes on. Getting turnovers is the obvious offset and UCF was great at turnover margin I think. ( Just looked and UCF was 3rd, NU was 108th.)

How about we let the man coach a game or two before we pronounce him the next Diaco/Cosgrove? Or "Cosco" for short.

My goodness, Frost has been our coach for one day and we are already criticizing his staff choices?

Good grief

Don't you remember this board when Riley's assistants were named?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT