ADVERTISEMENT

Did Nebraska take Erik Chinander?

We have ripped past coaches for bad hires of buddies, but to me the key is whether buddy hires that don't work out are addressed. For all of Riley's limitations he was willing to part with long time OSU buddies. If Chinander or others aren't successful, will Scott can them? After only two years as a head coach and with phenomenal success in year 2, canning coaches wasn't needed. So we have no history to predict if he will hang on to non-performing coaches. But at this point how can anyone argue that any or all of his assistants are not deserving of NU jobs?

Running up tempo spread offenses means gassing your own defense as well as that of the opponent. So even the best DC is going to give up yardage as a game goes on. Getting turnovers is the obvious offset and UCF was great at turnover margin I think. ( Just looked and UCF was 3rd, NU was 108th.)

How many Ints came from good defensive coverage and how many came from bad passes do the the lack of QB talent in the AAC and teams they played? Got to remember, BIG10 talent is completely different the AAC talent. Again, I’m not against Chin. But we have a UCF fan telling us Chin sucks. Last year we had U Con fans telling us the same with Diaco. We will find out soon enough. Hopefully Chin does great with BIG10 talent. Frost trusts him, as will I.

Here's the deal though. When rating a defense, you have to allow for the type of offense the team is running. Historically, teams that run a fast striking spread offense or the run & shoot passing offense, have weaker defenses statistically. If you want great defensive stats, a running game based, grind it out offense is the way to go.

That is not always true. A high scoring O puts the opposing team in a catch up mode and thus out of their game plan. A snap is a snap so the D is called on to stop the other team no matter what. Saying they can't because the O is too fast is an excuse.

It's official coach Chins DC. From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU! you can have him and the 700+ yards he let up in offense to Memphis! 600 to USF!

That is not always true. A high scoring O puts the opposing team in a catch up mode and thus out of their game plan. A snap is a snap so the D is called on to stop the other team no matter what. Saying they can't because the O is too fast is an excuse.
Yes, it's an excuse but it seems to be true so often that it has merit with a lot of people. Look at the most of the Big 12 conference for a few years now for an example. Now there are other reasons as well. Scholarship allocation. Are the best athletes going to the offense or defensive side. What about practices? Well known that the run & shoot teams do not have the personnel to simulate a physical run attack. Do they even have a fullback in the program?

There are very few high scoring offense teams that also have true shutdown defenses. Tough to name more than two or three in any given season.

Yes, it's an excuse but it seems to be true so often that it has merit with a lot of people. Look at the most of the Big 12 conference for a few years now for an example. Now there are other reasons as well. Scholarship allocation. Are the best athletes going to the offense or defensive side. What about practices? Well known that the run & shoot teams do not have the personnel to simulate a physical run attack. Do they even have a fullback in the program?

There are very few high scoring offense teams that also have true shutdown defenses. Tough to name more than two or three in any given season.
The more you score the more possessions the opponent gets. You're hoping you can wear their defense down and that you have better depth than they do. That may be a problem when you play a team like OSU or Michigan. Ball control offenses like Wisconsin's are more friendly to a defense no doubt. Every team has a scout team with kids who can play fullback if need be. Pretty easy to find a walk on linebacker or TE who played fullback in high school.

Reactions: NUHuskerfan
How about we let the man coach a game or two before we pronounce him the next Diaco/Cosgrove? Or "Cosco" for short.

My goodness, Frost has been our coach for one day and we are already criticizing his staff choices?

Good grief

I've got serious concerns about the defensive side of the ball. However, I understand why Frost wants to bring these guys with him. My hope is he is willing to make changes if it needs to happen. Same thing I wanted with Riley when he made similar decisions.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I've got serious concerns about the defensive side of the ball. However, I understand why Frost wants to bring these guys with him. My hope is he is willing to make changes if it needs to happen. Same thing I wanted with Riley when he made similar decisions.

Buddies hiring buddies. At least you will be able to score.

I trust that HCSF knows what he's doing AND that he'll do what needs to be done if it doesn't work out.

The more you score the more possessions the opponent gets. You're hoping you can wear their defense down and that you have better depth than they do. That may be a problem when you play a team like OSU or Michigan. Ball control offenses like Wisconsin's are more friendly to a defense no doubt. Every team has a scout team with kids who can play fullback if need be. Pretty easy to find a walk on linebacker or TE who played fullback in high school.
Not necessarily. A good offense can get first downs, stay on the field, avoid punting. UCF's defensive fundamentals were very weak at times which is what led to the poor defensive numbers. It's better to score in 2 minutes every possession than be forced to punt and give the ball back in 2 minutes anyway. I also think UCF's defense lost a lot of focus due to how good their offense was and they knew they'd still be able to win even playing lazy defense.

How many Ints came from good defensive coverage and how many came from bad passes do the the lack of QB talent in the AAC and teams they played? Got to remember, BIG10 talent is completely different the AAC talent. Again, I’m not against Chin. But we have a UCF fan telling us Chin sucks. Last year we had U Con fans telling us the same with Diaco. We will find out soon enough. Hopefully Chin does great with BIG10 talent. Frost trusts him, as will I.
Yeah that AAC talent probably isnt good enough to lead the nation in interceptions like the BIG 10 talent can.

If Chin can't get the job done than Frost better be ready to can him because there is nothing that shows me Chin's defense can stop any offenses with a pulse. Luckily, in the B1G there are only 2 teams who have offenses with a pulse and they both play in the East.

I'm having a hard time criticizing a DC on a team that finished 12-0. Simple as that.

I'll add to it that a coaching staff that's in lockstep, like a really good team, often has a sum that is greater than its parts.

Will admit I don't know much about the coordinators and assistants yet.

But I'll take a committed unit -- working together as a team -- any day over an assembled group of shiny toys that don't mesh with the staff and end up under a spectacular strain.

Frost's staff just got upgraded from G5 to P5 and are going to have the support that goes with that.

Some of those things we take for granted -- like training tables -- they're going to be able to access. Their salaries were upped hugely, and they're going to have the opportunity to recruit and connect nationally. Excellent performance as a coordinator here puts them in line for a HC opportunity down the road for the ones who have that as a goal. Going to be a lot of fun.

One question for anyone who remembers: When Devaney arrived from Wyoming did he bring his staff with him?

Last edited:
Chinander's D held Navy to 100 yards under their season rushing average, Memphis to 75 (ave 209) in the first game, and Maryland to 120 yards under their average.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I'll add to it that a coaching staff that's in lockstep, like a really good team, often has a sum that is greater than its parts.

Will admit I don't know much about the coordinators and assistants yet.

But I'll take a committed unit -- working together as a team -- any day over an assembled group of shiny toys that don't mesh with the staff and end up under a spectacular strain.

Frost's staff just got upgraded from G5 to P5 and are going to have the support that goes with that.

Some of those things we take for granted -- like training tables -- they're going to be able to access. Their salaries were upped hugely, and they're going to have the opportunity to recruit and connect nationally. Excellent performance as a coordinator here puts them in line for a HC opportunity down the road for the ones who have that as a goal. Going to be a lot of fun.

One question for anyone who remembers: When Devaney arrived from Wyoming did he bring his staff with him?
Did you really just quote Bob Diaco?

Wasn’t he in Frosts wedding. He would be a tough guy to fire.
I think we might need another Billy Devaney. I'm not comfortable with how loyal Frost is to his assistants. I get trying to bring a good chunk of your staff from a 12-0 team, but he had a good chance to upgrade his staff in certain areas and didn't.

Did you really just quote Bob Diaco?

He's very quotable

My all time favorite of his from Uconn:

“You got guys on campus that are going to experience today for the very first time. I mean, you can look at it as if they’ve been here for three months, but you can look at it as also… today is the first time they’ve experienced Tuesday, October-- what is it, the 11th?-- here. Next year will be only the second time they’ve experienced a middle of October Tuesday.”

He's very quotable

My all time favorite of his from Uconn:

“You got guys on campus that are going to experience today for the very first time. I mean, you can look at it as if they’ve been here for three months, but you can look at it as also… today is the first time they’ve experienced Tuesday, October-- what is it, the 11th?-- here. Next year will be only the second time they’ve experienced a middle of October Tuesday.”

Gees i hope someone asked them if they were going up on a Tuesday.

I will be more ok with giving up the 30 or less that was the norm before the last 2 games with a cloud hanging over the staff and team against two good teams for their level. Also, as long as we are scoring more than the 49 or 55 than we are giving up, then yes.

You can't bank on scoring 40 a game. It's not likely to happen against excellent defensive teams in the conference.

Agreed.

However, the paradigm is getting ready to shift in the B10 West.

We are going to challenge Iowa and Wisconsin to beat us in a shootout every year.

Is it going to work? Don't know but gonna be interesting to see the adjustments that are made 3,4,5 years from now.

Agreed.

However, the paradigm is getting ready to shift in the B10 West.

We are going to challenge Iowa and Wisconsin to beat us in a shootout every year.

Is it going to work? Don't know but gonna be interesting to see the adjustments that are made 3,4,5 years from now.
What if it is windy and cold those days? Don't those kind of spread West coast offenses not work when it's windy?

Btw... this is just a joke.

Reactions: gw2kpro and WHCSC
People are too hard on Chinander. He was the main reason that UCF went 6-6 the first season with little offense. He kept the team in games over and over while Frost was making bad in game decisions and failing to convert 4th and 2.
In the 2nd year, the offense started clicking and DGAF about time of possession. The defense was on the field more than the first season!

Having a shit defense will come back to bite you. Your willingness to accept it shows your double standard.

Having a shit defense will come back to bite you. Your willingness to accept it shows your double standard.

Who's willing to accept a "shit" defense?

Bo Pelini ran a shit defense here outside of 2 years when Suh anchored the entire thing. His defense getting lit up like a Christmas tree against any decent team was a factor in him not being here currently.

Riley ran a shit defense here every year.

Don't think anyone "accepted" that. Riley was pressured to fire Banker and did. Only to end up with someone who ran a shittier defense which ultimately led to them all hitting the road.

I think the larger point is, when you light up the scoreboard, like Oregon did, like UCF did, like Texas Tech did when Leach was there (and other examples), it's much harder for your defense to be highly rated due to the fact that possessions go up and they're out on the field a lot more than if you're sustaining drives.

It's a different coaching philosophy and tradeoff.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Chinander's D held Navy to 100 yards under their season rushing average, Memphis to 75 (ave 209) in the first game, and Maryland to 120 yards under their average.

That was when they were fresh. 11 straight games without a bye due to the hurricanes.

Is that Griffin kid on your defense related to the Griffin on our Seahawks

Yes. They are twins. The UCF Griffin redshirted, the Seahawks Griffin didn't. One was a 3 star (Seahawk Griffin), the other a 2 star (UCF LB Griffin) prospect, only because of the hands. George O'Leary was the only one willing to take both on scholarship but he didn't trust the LB Griffin in the secondary because of the hand. Chinander moved him to LB because he wanted more speed up front. The rest is history. BTW, I hope that Pete Carroll drafts the other Griffin.

Yes. They are twins. The UCF Griffin redshirted, the Seahawks Griffin didn't. One was a 3 star (Seahawk Griffin), the other a 2 star (UCF LB Griffin) prospect, only because of the hands. George O'Leary was the only one willing to take both on scholarship but he didn't trust the LB Griffin in the secondary because of the hand. Chinander moved him to LB because he wanted more speed up front. The rest is history. BTW, I hope that Pete Carroll drafts the other Griffin.
Looks like a solid player - Carroll drafts a little differently than other NFL teams but his twin is doing fine up here

Reactions: firm_bizzle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT