ADVERTISEMENT

Did Nebraska make a mistake firing Bo Pelini?

Which of our fired coaches went on to become a successful head coach at a big program? If they aren’t good enough to be at top college why do we want them here?

Top coaches are unicorns.

If every hire was great no program would have a struggle period.

It's just that we called coaches winning 70% of their games bad coaches.

Which is why we are where are now

Last edited:
Top coaches are unicorns.

If e very hire was great no program would have a struggle period.
It's justt that we called coaches winning 70% of their games bad coaches.

Which is why we are where are now
Someone's got to win and someone's got to lose. That means that for every Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, there has to be a Scott Frost and a Bill Jennings.

Is your name Ole Ted, as in a bullfighter says Ole, or did you mean it to read Ol' Ted?

Firing Pelini just to turn around and hire a guy like Mike Riley was a braindead administrative decision, so in that sense, yes. I don't think Pelini was given a fair shot in his last season either, and there was a lot of distraction for stupid reasons. I was borderline at the time on whether to get rid of Pelini. If we could have gotten someone better, I would have supported it. We clearly didn't though.

The problem with firing both Solich and Pelini, whatever their issues, is that I believe made anyone that was looking at coming here run for the hills. Ironically, leaving an incompetent Frost in place for 5 years might leave candidates thinking we’ve learned a lesson and will give them time.

Considering that Pelini has been fired from 2 more coaching jobs since then and is currently unemployed, no, Nebraska didn’t make a mistake.

Though his on paper record was good, he was an embarrassment in every big game. His behavior was out of control. He also was a lazy recruiter.
Not every big game.

I contest that:

2008 Clemson
2009 Missouri
2009 Oklahoma
2009 Texas
2010 Washington (the first one)
2010 Missouri
2011 Michigan State
2011 Ohio State
2012 Michigan State
2012 Iowa
2013 Georgia

And some others were all big games where we showed up very nicely.

Also, for being a lazy recruiter, he sure brought in some really good players who won for him. Since we fired Pelini, I don't see any players like Dennard, Compton, R. Henry, Steinkuhler, Gomes, Sirles, TM, Bell, Burkhead, David, Enunwa, Abdullah, Valentine, Anderson, Armstrong, Westerkamp, Carter, Collins, Gregory, Long, Gerry, Gates, Kalu, Lewis, or DPE running around in Nebraska uniforms now.

In 2015, Pelini left:

Alex Lewis
Zach Sterup
Nick Gates
Cethan Carter
Jordan Westerkamp
DPE
Brandon Rilley
Tommy Armstrong
Andy Janovich
Vince Valentine
Greg McMullen
Makiek Collins
Nathan Gerry
Josh Kalu
Josh Banderas
Michael Rose

16 players who are better than any of the starting 22 for the Huskers now. He also had committed the Davis twins and Stanley Morgan, as well as some others.

Last edited:
The problem with firing both Solich and Pelini, whatever their issues, is that I believe made anyone that was looking at coming here run for the hills. Ironically, leaving an incompetent Frost in place for 5 years might leave candidates thinking we’ve learned a lesson and will give them time.

This is spot on.

Reactions: bshirt73
Not every big game.

I contest that:

2008 Clemson
2009 Missouri
2009 Oklahoma
2009 Texas
2010 Washington (the first one)
2010 Missouri
2011 Michigan State
2011 Ohio State
2012 Michigan State
2012 Iowa
2013 Georgia

And some others were all big games where we showed up very nicely.

Also, for being a lazy recruiter, he sure brought in some really good players who won for him. Since we fired Pelini, I don't see any players like Dennard, Compton, R. Henry, Steinkuhler, Gomes, Sirles, TM, Bell, Burkhead, David, Enunwa, Abdullah, Valentine, Anderson, Armstrong, Westerkamp, Carter, Collins, Gregory, Long, Gerry, Gates, Kalu, Lewis, or DPE running around in Nebraska uniforms now.

In 2015, Pelini left:

Alex Lewis
Zach Sterup
Nick Gates
Cethan Carter
Jordan Westerkamp
DPE
Brandon Rilley
Tommy Armstrong
Andy Janovich
Vince Valentine
Greg McMullen
Makiek Collins
Nathan Gerry
Josh Kalu
Josh Banderas
Michael Rose

16 players who are better than any of the starting 22 for the Huskers now. He also had committed the Davis twins and Stanley Morgan, as well as some others.

Facts.

Dont forget he beat Wisconsin in 2012 then had to play them again.

Everyone who has ever played sports knows playing a team twice in one year in football is a recipe for disaster if you won the first game.

Not to me tion you mr best DT didnt play in the 2nd game.

And his offense threw a pick on the first play of the game. Setting the tone.

Facts.

Dont forget he beat Wisconsin in 2012 then had to play them again.

Everyone who has ever played sports knows playing a team twice in one year in football is a recipe for disaster if you won the first game.

Not to me tion you mr best DT didnt play in the 2nd game.

And his offense threw a pick on the first play of the game. Setting the tone.
The is no way to spin it. Wisconsin was the 3rd place team. in its division. And although playing someone twice is always tough, it’s certainly not “a recipe for disaster.” 70-31? Please.

The is no way to spin it. Wisconsin was the 3rd place team. in its division. And although playing someone twice is always tough, it’s certainly not “a recipe for disaster.” 70-31? Please.

It's not spin. Beating a team 2 times in one year is hard asf.

If you ever played competitive sports you know that. Unless the team is complete garbage.

You think losing the best DT you have playing Wisconsin doesn't matter..lol

We played Texas twice in 99. How did that turnout for them?

Imagine if every team in the NCAA tournament had to beat a team twice and the 2nd game determines who advances. ..lol

LSU and Alabama in 2011. LSU won the first game. Why didnt they win the 2nd?

Last edited:
It's not spin. Beating a team 2 times in one year is hard asf.

If you ever played competitive sports you know that. Unless the team is complete garbage.

You think losing the best DT you have playing Wisconsin doesn't matter..lol

We played Texas twice in 99. How did that turnout for them?

Imagine if every team in the NCAA tournament had to beat a team twice and the 2nd game determines who advances. ..lol

LSU and Alabama in 2011. LSU won the first game. Why didnt they win the 2nd?
Yeah it’s hard. It’s not 70-31 even-down-your-best-DT hard.

Yeah it’s hard. It’s not 70-31 even-down-your-best-DT hard.

Very true. But a loss by one is still a loss.

We thought we would win cause we beat them before that seasom.

Even though it was a come from behind win down by 21 points

Very true. But a loss by one is still a loss.

We thought we would win cause we beat them before that seasom.

Even though it was a come from behind win down by 21 points
They made sure to keep pounding the ball down our throats until they knew we wouldn't be able to come back.

Reactions: RaulJones
Really?
I guess I don't know who recruited who.
Yes, especially up to the 2006 defense. Fabian, Carriker, Moore, Bullocks brothers, and Ruud brothers were all original Solich recruits I believe. Nobody ever mentions that though. The truth is every new coach has to rely primarily on the previous coach's recruited players for the first few years.

Reactions: moralvictories
Yes, especially up to the 2006 defense. Fabian, Carriker, Moore, Bullocks brothers, and Ruud brothers were all original Solich recruits I believe. Nobody ever mentions that though. The truth is every new coach has to rely primarily on the previous coach's recruited players for the first few years.
Wow, I forgot about so many of those guys...

Bo, here comes a compliment so that one weird dude will show up and reply about how I want to make love to Bo, but he seemed really good at getting stud JC players.

Nope.

Evidence;

-Was on his way to getting fired as head coach at YSU, so left for LSU.

-Got fired in less than a season at LSU

- Currently coaching nowhere

If he was a coach worthy of running a P5 program, he'd have better than the above resume since leaving here. Programs are constantly looking for quality coaches.
Million$$$ in the bank. He played it perfectly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT