ADVERTISEMENT

Deontai is back!

Even though it hasn't been announced yet, it looks like Will Honas, Dismuke and Stille are all returning as well.

That means Nebraska will potentially return 18 of their top 20 tacklers on defense. That might be unprecedented, even in Covid eligibility times.

Even though it hasn't been announced yet, it looks like Will Honas, Dismuke and Stille are all returning as well.

That means Nebraska will potentially return 18 of their top 20 tacklers on defense. That might be unprecedented, even in Covid eligibility times.
DCap and Miller are only ones that depart if you are right about the above three. Ain't that something. Culture smulture.

Reactions: headcard
IMO, it seems with every announcement that a defensive player is returning the perceived disarray the offensive locker room is in becomes more telling. Yikes!

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
the potential is there to have our best D in a decade. Still could really use a pass rushing OLB to step up, but I do think we've improved the pass rush from terrible to mediocre.

Isn't he like 26 years old? He's got to be the oldest player ever to start for Nebraska, right?

There's a huge divide within this program right now.

The defense has positive momentum and is showing serious signs of improvement. Players are staying because they can see where things are headed.

The offense has downward momentum and has been flat-out atrocious. Players are leaving because they too can see where things are headed.

Frost gets paid $5M/year to fix it!

Reactions: Laner2

Cue the incoming troll:

"Boy is this horrible news. It means our defensive dropoff in 2022 is gong to be off the charts."

Reactions: timnsun
Thanks for sharing this!!!

I know a lot of people wonder about culture, but if culture was bad, why are so many players coming back?

Gives me hope...
My 2 cents which is somehow worth less than that even, but anyway: it's all relative. If I'd listened to the online reviews on sites like Glassdoor before taking my current job, you would think I was wandering in to the gates of Hell. 6 years later and the only reason I'm considering leaving is needing a little more room for advancement. The culture is fine with me, but others couldn't wait to escape.

That's not to absolve Frost though, I'm just blaming the failures on other aspects. You can have a team full of best buddies who form a secret, underground occult society they're so darned in lockstep, and you still won't win games if you're ill-prepared, don't have an offensive identity etc.

There's a huge divide within this program right now.

The defense has positive momentum and is showing serious signs of improvement. Players are staying because they can see where things are headed.

The offense has downward momentum and has been flat-out atrocious. Players are leaving because they too can see where things are headed.

Frost gets paid $5M/year to fix it!

I disagree and here's why. We just got 2 nice offensive transfers in Toure and Stepp. Stepp came to Lincoln on his own dime to check out the town. He met some of the players and they showed him around town. He had to get positive vibes from those players.

I think it's great to get Williams back. His experience really helps that safety group out.

Last edited:
I disagree and here's why. We just got 2 nice offensive transfers in Toure and Stepp. Stepp came to Lincoln on his own dime to check out the town. He met some of the players and they showed him around town. He had to get positive vibes from those players.

I get what you're saying, but when your best offensive player transfers because he doesn't like they way you've been using him, then you have a problem.

I get what you're saying, but when your best offensive player transfers because he doesn't like they way you've been using him, then you have a problem.

That's a fair question. It's not necessarily indicative to a culture issue though.

Let me rephase as you really didn't pose it as a question. I get what your saying but I disagree with your conclusion. Yes, there was an issue but no I don't think it's a downward momentum spiral. Is the loss of good players a setback? Yes! Then again we just added 2 players to offset it!

Last edited:

I know a lot of people wonder about culture, but if culture was bad, why are so many players coming back?

Gives me hope...
There's a difference between offense and defense. Right now I'd say the culture on the offensive side needs a lot of improvement. The defense seems in good shape.

Last edited:
That's a fair question. It's not necessarily indicative to a culture issue though.

Let me rephase as you really didn't pose it as a question. I get what your saying but I disagree with your conclusion. Yes, there was an issue but no I don't think it's a culture one.
I don’t think it’s a culture issue either, I just think our players on offense are beyond frustrated and tired of sucking - losing and being bad can really wear on you! The defense has made strides and have shown improvement, meaning those players are able to see the tangible benefits of all their hard work. The offense cannot look at their successes and leverage that as a positive going-forward.

This is big. I really wanted at least one safety back. Hopefully Williams takes a step forward with avoiding targeting calls. Very exciting.

I was really nervous if all of our secondary bailed because we’ve been hit hard with attrition/injury there, and we were gonna be super thin with depth if they all left. Keeping Williams is a big deal.

I think that problem is on Wan. A player doesn't like the plays called. Well bye.

I think what he does is correctable. Its not a talent issue. He just needs to keep his head up & wrap up and not always go for the big shot. That's applies to most of our secondary players!

Well, at this point it hasn't been corrected and he has been with the same D coaches for three years now which eliminates that excuse.

Glad to see the experience return but I wonder what the young guys are thinking and spare me they don't welcome the competition rant. We need to develop more safeties and much better safety play over all.

Gives me hope...
Good to hear he and many other vets aren’t entering the portal. However, I assume this also means the NFL isn’t knocking, which is both good and bad. Nice to keep experienced players, but it would also be nice to have to worry more about the NFL.

I was really nervous if all of our secondary bailed because we’ve been hit hard with attrition/injury there, and we were gonna be super thin with depth if they all left. Keeping Williams is a big deal.
the young guys are probably not thrilled. Pola Gates will be a senior now before he gets a chance to start. these 4th and 5th year guys are preventing the younger ones from getting an opportunity. an opportunity im sure they thought would come before now. Being 26 and probably with no NFL career, Williams has lost a few years of earning opportunity. The first years of earnings are the most important in terms of preparing for retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT