ADVERTISEMENT

Defense yikes

Bobby Bowden did it for FSU and took them into the ACC. Turned into a Hall Of Fame Coach.

Frost could have done the same for UCF, the hotbed for football talent in America, CENTRAL FLORIDA. Instead, Frost's future went from Hall of Fame to Hall of Shame.
The big 12 is desperate for attention and another team why don't you petition them see if you can join them, Texas will enjoy you being their little bitch

Reactions: timnsun
Bob Debacle's 2017 defense thru 5 games: 24.4ppg

Eric Chinanders Defense through 5 games: 39.2 ppg

I honestly didn't think our defense could be any worse than last year, but it looks like they are giving them a run for their money. UCF fans warned us about Chin and it's starting to look like they were right.
The offense goes over 500 yards of offense three times this year and they lose all three. Unreal.
Do you happen to know on average how many yards our offense has to go on each drive to make it in the end zone? Frost said something in the press conference today that made me question this. Since our return game has been so bad I’m guessing we have to go at least 85 yards per drive on average. So even though we’re racking up 500 yards we just have too far to go and with our penalties and constant mistakes, 85 yards is a really really long drive for our offense right now.

Reactions: oldjar07
I really wish I could resist the urge to post with the potatoes on this free board, but I just can't.

- Scoring defense is a great stat that really illustrates the overall quality of a football team. If a team is allowing a shit ton of points it often has as much to do with special teams, turnovers, and penalties as it has to do with defense. To just say Nebraska's defense is responsible for allowing 39 points per game is foolish. Hell, if I'm a Nebraska opponent, I almost want to punt the football because the punt return unit at Nebraska is laughable.

-In the first five games of the 2017 season, Nebraska was turning the ball over, but their special teams were actually competent and the team wasn't committing tons of dumb penalties.

- Nebraska faced some dreadful offenses at the beginning of the 2017 season. Illinois, Rutgers, and Northern Illinois were all terrible. On the flipside, Oregon and Arkansas State had good offenses and they absolutely shredded the Huskers.

- This is a shark contrast to 2018. Colorado is currently #1 in the Nation in Completion percentage. Montez is looking at 1st round draft slot.
Colorado - # 18 in total offense
Purdue - # 19 in total offense
Wisconsin - #25 in total offense
Troy - #47 nationally in total offense - held them under 300 total yards
Michigan - # 50, but their best offense they've had in the last 5+ years.

- The Husker defense is not good. I won't sugarcoat their performances, but if our fanbase is going to stupidly compare the first 5 games of each season without taking opponents into account, then you're just being petty and pushing a false narrative.

Btw, here's one other thing to consider:

Nebraska's opponents are a combined 22-6 at this point in the season. Its completely possible that Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Troy all win 10 games. If not 10, CU and Wisconsin will make strong cases for 9 wins. The first 5 opponents of 2017 weren't even close to that level.

I will also argue things will come back to Earth. Look at the remaining offenses:

Northwestern - 94th nationally in total offense
Michigan State - 82nd nationally
Iowa - 77th
Minnesota - 113th
Illinois - 69th
Bethune - Cookman - a whole lotta shit.

Ohio State - Gulp, but that one was going to be ugly regardless.

As for Special Teams and penalties, the staff definitely deserves some scrutiny there.
Teams that have great defenses and are only giving up 10 points a game have to deal with penalties, turnovers, and special teams lapses. It's not like our offense is turning the ball over at an extremely high rate or running through plays at a fast rate. I think both of those things are pretty average. It's not like our defense has been helping our offense out either generating very few turnovers. We're giving up 39 points a game because our defense is bad. Very bad, and I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet.

Teams that have great defenses and are only giving up 10 points a game have to deal with penalties, turnovers, and special teams lapses. It's not like our offense is turning the ball over at an extremely high rate or running through plays at a fast rate. I think both of those things are pretty average. It's not like our defense has been helping our offense out either generating very few turnovers. We're giving up 39 points a game because our defense is bad. Very bad, and I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet.

You think Alabama is among the worst 3 or 4 teams in the country in Special teams efficiency? Do you think Ohio State is among the bottom ten in turnover margin? Do you see Michigan as the most penalized team in the country?

I will Argue this team actually has a better defense than last year. This team can actually sack the QB. They already have more sacks and tackles behind the LOS.

You think Alabama is among the worst 3 or 4 teams in the country in Special teams efficiency? Do you think Ohio State is among the bottom ten in turnover margin? Do you see Michigan as the most penalized team in the country?

I will Argue this team actually has a better defense than last year. This team can actually sack the QB. They already have more sacks and tackles behind the LOS.
OJ will never admit that he might be wrong.

But I want to thank you for sharing this information with us. For those who aren’t constantly riding the coaches, we appreciate this.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Half of those things directly involve the defense. With turnover margin we're near dead last in turnovers gained, in a defense that's supposed to be built to generate turnovers. A lot of penalties are coming from the defense, especially the killer automatic first down 15 yard penalties and they're happening at the worst possible times. Our special teams problems are due to players missing tackles and playing slow and tentative. These are the exact same problems the defense is having. Our defense has a lot of veteran players and they should be stepping up to help the young qb and players on offense instcalling a new offense and the backup qb when he had to play, but they didn't do that. Instead of stepping up to the plate, this defense laid down and let the opposing team have it's way with them.

Bob Debacle's 2017 defense thru 5 games: 24.4ppg

Eric Chinanders Defense through 5 games: 39.2 ppg

I honestly didn't think our defense could be any worse than last year, but it looks like they are giving them a run for their money. UCF fans warned us about Chin and it's starting to look like they were right.
The offense goes over 500 yards of offense three times this year and they lose all three. Unreal.

3-4 sucks without great talent.

Nebraska is a "system" school. We have that on offense.

Reactions: husker2613
like the rest of the team, the defense is less than the sum of it's parts right now and worse than the statistics would say.

There is a lot to criticize, sure - they are one of the worst 3rd down teams I've seen, we only have maybe 2 LB's that play the way we want, our DB's are too loose in coverage or too prone to picking up cheap fouls, but I don't think it's entirely their fault so far.

I thought I saw some improvement during the Wiscy game, though. T Our front 6/7 were better with the running game than they had been most of the year, and I thought coverages were for the most part tighter than in the past.

Offense/Defense teams are symbiotic and they've hurt each other with the offense not keeping the D off the field, and by giving up bad field position too often, and the D's given up points immediately after the O gives a run, etc. And special teams have been awful.. like really bad so far.

I did like some of what I saw against Wiscy and think we are primed to win some games in the second half... yes, I'm an optimist

3-4 sucks without great talent.

Nebraska is a "system" school. We have that on offense.
In part that's why situationally we've run so many 4 man fronts this year. Our biggest problem IMO has been just plain blown assignments, missed tackles and penalties. JMHO. Well that and a veteran D lineman who just doesn't get it done at times. It seems like they constantly run right at him with good success when he's in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT