ADVERTISEMENT

Defense yikes

I really wish I could resist the urge to post with the potatoes on this free board, but I just can't.

- Scoring defense is a great stat that really illustrates the overall quality of a football team. If a team is allowing a shit ton of points it often has as much to do with special teams, turnovers, and penalties as it has to do with defense. To just say Nebraska's defense is responsible for allowing 39 points per game is foolish. Hell, if I'm a Nebraska opponent, I almost want to punt the football because the punt return unit at Nebraska is laughable.

-In the first five games of the 2017 season, Nebraska was turning the ball over, but their special teams were actually competent and the team wasn't committing tons of dumb penalties.

- Nebraska faced some dreadful offenses at the beginning of the 2017 season. Illinois, Rutgers, and Northern Illinois were all terrible. On the flipside, Oregon and Arkansas State had good offenses and they absolutely shredded the Huskers.

- This is a shark contrast to 2018. Colorado is currently #1 in the Nation in Completion percentage. Montez is looking at 1st round draft slot.
Colorado - # 18 in total offense
Purdue - # 19 in total offense
Wisconsin - #25 in total offense
Troy - #47 nationally in total offense - held them under 300 total yards
Michigan - # 50, but their best offense they've had in the last 5+ years.

- The Husker defense is not good. I won't sugarcoat their performances, but if our fanbase is going to stupidly compare the first 5 games of each season without taking opponents into account, then you're just being petty and pushing a false narrative.

Btw, here's one other thing to consider:

Nebraska's opponents are a combined 22-6 at this point in the season. Its completely possible that Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Troy all win 10 games. If not 10, CU and Wisconsin will make strong cases for 9 wins. The first 5 opponents of 2017 weren't even close to that level.

I will also argue things will come back to Earth. Look at the remaining offenses:

Northwestern - 94th nationally in total offense
Michigan State - 82nd nationally
Iowa - 77th
Minnesota - 113th
Illinois - 69th
Bethune - Cookman - a whole lotta shit.

Ohio State - Gulp, but that one was going to be ugly regardless.

As for Special Teams and penalties, the staff definitely deserves some scrutiny there.

I really wish I could resist the urge to post with the potatoes on this free board, but I just can't.

- Scoring defense is a great stat that really illustrates the overall quality of a football team. If a team is allowing a shit ton of points it often has as much to do with special teams, turnovers, and penalties as it has to do with defense. To just say Nebraska's defense is responsible for allowing 39 points per game is foolish. Hell, if I'm a Nebraska opponent, I almost want to punt the football because the punt return unit at Nebraska is laughable.

-In the first five games of the 2017 season, Nebraska was turning the ball over, but their special teams were actually competent and the team wasn't committing tons of dumb penalties.

- Nebraska faced some dreadful offenses at the beginning of the 2017 season. Illinois, Rutgers, and Northern Illinois were all terrible. On the flipside, Oregon and Arkansas State had good offenses and they absolutely shredded the Huskers.

- This is a shark contrast to 2018. Colorado is currently #1 in the Nation in Completion percentage. Montez is looking at 1st round draft slot.
Colorado - # 18 in total offense
Purdue - # 19 in total offense
Wisconsin - #25 in total offense
Troy - #47 nationally in total offense - held them under 300 total yards
Michigan - # 50, but their best offense they've had in the last 5+ years.

- The Husker defense is not good. I won't sugarcoat their performances, but if our fanbase is going to stupidly compare the first 5 games of each season without taking opponents into account, then you're just being petty and pushing a false narrative.

Btw, here's one other thing to consider:

Nebraska's opponents are a combined 22-6 at this point in the season. Its completely possible that Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Troy all win 10 games. If not 10, CU and Wisconsin will make strong cases for 9 wins. The first 5 opponents of 2017 weren't even close to that level.

I will also argue things will come back to Earth. Look at the remaining offenses:

Northwestern - 94th nationally in total offense
Michigan State - 82nd nationally
Iowa - 77th
Minnesota - 113th
Illinois - 69th
Bethune - Cookman - a whole lotta shit.

Ohio State - Gulp, but that one was going to be ugly regardless.

As for Special Teams and penalties, the staff definitely deserves some scrutiny there.
Boom. Mic drop. Thanks for weighing in...but are you sure there aren't potatoes on the RSS? Man I was on there for several years and I was sure there were quite a few potatoes on the RSS then. Do you remember how much crap Dan Quayle got for spelling potatoes with an e? I refuse to spell it any other way after that episode.:)

Last edited:
As I showed you all in another post, I have a this spreadsheet that shows how Nebraska does vs an opponent in comparison to how the rest of the opponents on the schedule did.

For 2018, these are the numbers

Colorado rush 44 vs Nebraska - 236 ave against others - 18% of ave
pass 351 - 278 - 126%
total 395 - 513 - 77%

Troy - rush 143 - 190 - 75%
pass 110 - 191 - 58%
total 253 - 382 - 66%

Mich rush 285 - 142 - 200%
pass 206 - 178 - 115%
total 491 - 321 - 153%

Purdue rush 188 - 165 - 113%
pass 328 - 318 - 103%
total 516 - 483 - 106%

Wisconsin rush 370 - 266 - 139%
pass 163 - 200 - 81%
total 533 - 466 - 114%

For 2017

Ark St rush - 82 - 158 - 52%
pass - 415 - 335 - 124%
total - 497 - 494 - 101%

Oregon rush - 201 - 255 - 79%
pass 365 - 175 - 208%
total 566 - 429 - 132%

UNI rush - 85 - 186 - 46%
pass - 128 - 206 - 62%
total - 213- 390 - 54%

Rutgers rush - 68 - 154 - 44%
pass - 126 - 114 - 110%
total - 194 - 268 - 72%

Illinois rush - 93 - 106 - 88%
pass - 106 - 181 - 58%
total - 199 - 287 - 69%

Here is the 6th game in 2017 vs Wisconsin to compare year to year against the same opponent at a similar point in the season.

Wisconsin rush - 353 - 213 - 166%
pass - 113 - 198 - 57%
total - 466 - 411 - 113%

Again draw your own conclusions, this is just the data.

I don't know why people are trying to shift blame away from the defense. The defense is terrible. Even with things that should be basic fundamentals, they don't come close to executing a lot of times. Our special teams are a reflection of the same things that are wrong with our defense.

I don't know why people are trying to shift blame away from the defense. The defense is terrible. Even with things that should be basic fundamentals, they don't come close to executing a lot of times. Our special teams are a reflection of the same things that are wrong with our defense.
Don’t be upset if I put more stock in cornicator’s post than yours.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Your schedule is a joke this year. You haven't played one team with a winning record and don't have a ranked team on your schedule. The one decent offense you've faced, FAU, ran for over 300 yards on your defense.

LOL at Scott Fr0-5t

You wish you had UCF's program. 3rd time in Top 10 in past 6 years under THREE different head coaches.

P.S......It's the players, not the coaches!

Thank God he did. We upgraded. He made a terrible mistake for himself. haha
Yeah, I’m sure you did. You will be singing a different tune once Milton is gone no doubt. I could buy him making a mistake. His mistake may have been not taking the Florida job. But he did not make a mistake leaving DisneyWorld. Not a chance.

Yeah, I’m sure you did. You will be singing a different tune once Milton is gone no doubt. I could buy him making a mistake. His mistake may have been not taking the Florida job. But he did not make a mistake leaving DisneyWorld. Not a chance.

Sure buddy. UCF will be P5 in 5-8 years. The school is the 2nd largest in the US with the 15th largest TV market. UCF job has the best "job security" in the country. Instead he's stuck at a has-been program.

Reactions: frostyballs
Had Nebraska played a UCF like schedule the last 20 years...being top 10 at some point during the season would probably be a foregone conclusion.

Typical P5 homer. UCF gets $2 mil TV revenue a year. Give UCF $40 mil TV revenue and watch what they do.

If you want to play OUR schedule, you get OUR resources. Right? That would be a mistake because without your money, NO recruits would go there. You have trouble recruiting speed as it is WITH the money.

No one does more with less than UCF. Bortles and Milton only had 2 scholly offers each. The program knows how to develop players.

Reactions: frostyballs
Sure buddy. UCF will be P5 in 5-8 years. The school is the 2nd largest in the US with the 15th largest TV market. UCF job has the best "job security" in the country. Instead he's stuck at a has-been program.
Again, Frost may have made a mistake coming to Nebraska and making a boat load of cash. But he didn’t make a mistake leaving UCF. He took them as far as they could go in two years. His work was done.

There are 6 power conferences. I saw a commercial that said so.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Typical P5 homer. UCF gets $2 mil TV revenue a year. Give UCF $40 mil TV revenue and watch what they do.

If you want to play OUR schedule, you get OUR resources. Right? That would be a mistake because without your money, NO recruits would go there. You have trouble recruiting speed as it is WITH the money.

No one does more with less than UCF. Bortles and Milton only had 2 scholly offers each. The program knows how to develop players.
Limited to no resources yet Frost made a bad decision to leave UCF. Okayyyy

Limited to no resources yet Frost made a bad decision to leave UCF. Okayyyy

You're business acumen is extremely short sighted. Frost can make $2.5/year at UCF for 20-30 years or he can make $5 mil a year for 4 years before getting canned.

That $2.5 mil at UCF would double in 2-6 years when UCF is a lock for P5.

Terrible business decision. Nebraska is a cesspool with a football program worse than Tennessee's.

You're business acumen is extremely short sighted. Frost can make $2.5/year at UCF for 20-30 years or he can make $5 mil a year for 4 years before getting canned.

Terrible business decision. Nebraska is a cesspool with a football program worse than Tennessee's.

Think so? When's the last time UCF had a coach there 20-30 years?

ha ha ha ha in what league?

UCF has been playing football since 1978 and D1 football since 1995.

Going from independent, to MAC, to Conference USA, to American Conference to 3 TOP 10's in the past 6 years.

I'll say our program is the fastest moving in America. On the other side, yours is competing with Tennessee for the most "has-been".

Think so? When's the last time UCF had a coach there 20-30 years?

Bobby Bowden did it for FSU and took them into the ACC. Turned into a Hall Of Fame Coach.

Frost could have done the same for UCF, the hotbed for football talent in America, CENTRAL FLORIDA. Instead, Frost's future went from Hall of Fame to Hall of Shame.

Bobby Bowden did it for FSU and took them into the ACC. Turned into a Hall Of Fame Coach.

Frost could have done the same for UCF, the hotbed for football talent in America, CENTRAL FLORIDA. Instead, Frost's future went from Hall of Fame to Hall of Shame.

That's what I thought. Bobby Bowden. Lol.

Now it’s 2-6 years? What league you all going to? Here’s the thing...the moment you become power 5(big if) UCF becomes one of worst jobs in the conference. Frost got out while the going was good and was a smart man for doing so.

5 power conferences financially. Just 1 conference that beats 2 of the weak P5's annually on the field.

UCF is 5-8 against power 5 teams since 2013.

Record of teams they have beat

3-3
10-4
4-8
7-5
11-2

Record of teams they lost to

10-3
6-7
12-2
3-9
7-6
11-3
8-5
11-2

So in 6 seasons they have 13 games against P5 teams, and a sub .500 record,

Reactions: headcard
UCF is 5-8 against power 5 teams since 2013.

Record of teams they have beat

3-3
10-4
4-8
7-5
11-2

Record of teams they lost to

10-3
6-7
12-2
3-9
7-6
11-3
8-5
11-2

So in 6 seasons they have 13 games against P5 teams, and a sub .500 record,

And yet, we are Top 10 for the 3rd time in 6 years. Go to bed. You're a bottom feeder in the Big 10

UCF has been playing football since 1978 and D1 football since 1995.

Going from independent, to MAC, to Conference USA, to American Conference to 3 TOP 10's in the past 6 years.

I'll say our program is the fastest moving in America. On the other side, yours is competing with Tennessee for the most "has-been".

So as I tell my students. I didn't ask you how long you have been D1, or what conferences you have been affiliated with, or how many times you have been ranked in the top 10 in your history, or how fast your program is moving. Or how Nebraska is moving, and definitely didn't ask about Tennessee.

Let's try this again.

ha ha ha ha in what (P5) league (will you be a member)?

Reactions: timnsun
ha ha ha ha in what (P5) league (will you be a member)?

If the posting pattern and thought process for this dude stays true to form, the answer to that question will be one of the following:

• Justin Bieber
  • Horseradish
  • Lunar landing was faked
  • Bobby Bowden
  • Stop poking me Beavis

Reactions: timnsun
And yet, we are Top 10 for the 3rd time in 6 years. Go to bed. You're a bottom feeder in the Big 10

great, so your team got an inflated record by beating a bunch of average to below average teams, then played a bowl game against an unmotivated squad that didn't want to be there playing the G6 representative. But whatever makes you feel better.

You live in lala land. Lock for P5, Ok. Oh and Tennessee has a great football program, not as good as Nebraska, but still a great program. Lightyears ahead of yours.

great, so your team got an inflated record by beating a bunch of average to below average teams, then played a bowl game against an unmotivated squad that didn't want to be there playing the G6 representative. But whatever makes you feel better.
Sounds a lot like Iowa and kst

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT