ADVERTISEMENT

Defense yikes

kaz36

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 2, 2005
Bob Debacle's 2017 defense thru 5 games: 24.4ppg

Eric Chinanders Defense through 5 games: 39.2 ppg

I honestly didn't think our defense could be any worse than last year, but it looks like they are giving them a run for their money. UCF fans warned us about Chin and it's starting to look like they were right.
The offense goes over 500 yards of offense three times this year and they lose all three. Unreal.

No question we need to recruit and get better on defense especially with this power running game that Wisconsin imposes on you.

I honestly didn't think our defense could be any worse than last year, but it looks like they are giving them a run for their money. UCF fans warned us about Chin and it's starting to look like they were right.
The offense goes over 500 yards of offense three times this year and they lose all three. Unreal.

The offensive yards are skewed because of all the penalties. We haven’t scored more than 28 this year

You can't get blood out of a turnip.

Reactions: timnsun
The offense especially in the first half sure hell isn't helping the defense I actually thought they played decent in the second half they were gassed because of no depth thanks to bozo and smiling mike

Reactions: bshirt73
How do the guys on this defense even get out of bed in the morning? Geezus they must be humiliated to be associated with this disaster. Those are the guys that need to transfer to Oregon State. They add nothing to this program and are the reason for the historic level of ineptitude Nebraska is currently experiencing.

game 1 - 395 yds on 85 plays. 4.65 per play.
game 2 - 253 yds on 55 plays. 4.60 per play.
game 3 - 491 yds on 76 plays. 6.46 per play. was worse when it counted tho.
game 4 - 516 yds on 79 plays. 6.53 per play.
game 5 - 533 yds on 72 plays. 7.55 per play.

def trending the wrong way and seems to follow the previous years' pattern of progressively getting worse as the season goes.

There's a major difference in the quality of the opponents, so a blanket comparison is tough.

This season NU opponents have a 21-4 record through five weeks. Last year their first five opponents had a 12-12 record at this point. Even if Nebraska was 5-0 this season their opponents would still have a substantially better record than last year's opponents.

Regardless, the Cornhusker's defense is awful.

Don't have twitter, can you give us a quick summary?
I don’t know how to link it, but on the 88 yard TD run he basically just watched and did nothing. Had a great opportunity to try and just jogged then got planted.

Lol LJax. Shouldn't see the field ever again as a Husker. Anybody but him, please!

Reactions: mmunso7
Nebraska might be taking the same, or very similar course, that our favorite team to the west, cu, has taken the past 5 years. MacIntyre started out with three straight losing seasons, winning in his fourth, pulling back in his 5th and now 5-0 in his sixth.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a losing season next year as well, maybe at 2020's end, the Huskers might have a winning record, but it will be difficult. So many needs on both sides of the ball and not so special teams, along with this staff analyzing their mistakes and making themselves as well as the team better.

Reactions: 9and4
Chinander is awful. We tried telling you guys. UCF defense last year was like 32 ppg. This year under Randy Shannon it's 23 ppg and we held 4/5 opponents to 20 points or less and this is while LOSING NFL 1st rounder CB Mike Hughes, All World LB 4th round NFL Shaquem Griffin and 2 other defenders in NFL camps AND Tre Neal (who was addition by subtraction- Richie Grant has 3 INTs already).

You guys need to fire Chinander. He sucks.

Chinander is awful. We tried telling you guys. UCF defense last year was like 32 ppg. This year under Randy Shannon it's 23 ppg and we held 4/5 opponents to 20 points or less and this is while LOSING NFL 1st rounder CB Mike Hughes, All World LB 4th round NFL Shaquem Griffin and 2 other defenders in NFL camps AND Tre Neal (who was addition by subtraction- Richie Grant has 3 INTs already).

Our D is not good, but just go away. Yes, you guys are good right now, you’ve also played no one. Just give it a rest. Yes you are better than NU

I believe you, this defensive coaching is as bad as last year.

It wouldn't help. Unless his replacement could bring in different players.

I would also point out that the veteran safety that frequently screws up totally missed the tackle on the play even though he wrapped him up. He earlier had a NEAR Sportscenter highlight where he lit up that 37 RB from Wisconsin, and then posed for the camera. He then got bulldozed by the Wisconsin lineman as 37 was still running. I was actually glad he got planted on that play. Dude was posing for his big hit and the RB was still running. SMH. I think it is time he rides pine and watch some freshman make mistakes. Their mistakes will be learning mistakes I would hope. He has never learned.

The offense is a little better than I thought it would be. I was skeptical of the defensive leadership, but I drank the koolaid. Let's see what Frost decides next year. Does he care more about the Huskers or his friendship?

This has been a fault of two of our coaches. They were both good coaches. Riley is a garbage coach.

The offense is a little better than I thought it would be. I was skeptical of the defensive leadership, but I drank the koolaid. Let's see what Frost decides next year. Does he care more about the Huskers or his friendship?

This has been a fault of two of our coaches. They were both good coaches. Riley is a garbage coach.
If you think he's going to fire Chinander after one year, you're going to be disappointed.

I would also point out that the veteran safety that frequently screws up totally missed the tackle on the play even though he wrapped him up. He earlier had a NEAR Sportscenter highlight where he lit up that 37 RB from Wisconsin, and then posed for the camera. He then got bulldozed by the Wisconsin lineman as 37 was still running. I was actually glad he got planted on that play. Dude was posing for his big hit and the RB was still running. SMH. I think it is time he rides pine and watch some freshman make mistakes. Their mistakes will be learning mistakes I would hope. He has never learned.

I'll have to watch the 37 play again, but I thought they just both had a HUGE collision and Reed got twirled by it as well. Was in a few similar collisions in high school and you literally don't know where you are for a second after the hit.

Your schedule is a joke this year. You haven't played one team with a winning record and don't have a ranked team on your schedule. The one decent offense you've faced, FAU, ran for over 300 yards on your defense.

We've had 3 different defensive coordinators in 3 years. Our players need some stability. We're not going to be firing any coaches any time soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT