ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Altman ...

There's going to be some pissed off people when Miles gets a contract extension after the season.

Does the lack of a contract extension negatively affect recruiting like it can in football or do most think they will be gone before the coach is anyway? I apologize if this is a stupid question as I know next to nothing about the basketball.

Does the lack of a contract extension negatively affect recruiting like it can in football or do most think they will be gone before the coach is anyway? I apologize if this is a stupid question as I know next to nothing about the basketball.
Yeah, I think it can, although I think we got a gem in Xavier Johnson. Miles strong suit seems to be going out and getting guys on the transfer market

And even more pissed off people when Nebraska is eating millions of $$ in a couple of years when they have to fire him.
Personally I wouldn't extend him. The topic shouldn't even come up unless he makes the tourney this year. Nobody expected Palmer to be as good as he is. IF he can't make it with the talent on the roster this year.....Make him make us extend him by proving it in the tourney.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The conundrum I see with Miles is to extend or not extend. I say no, no way in hell do you give that man an extension. However, a real possibility is next years team actually does well, considering the starting lineup

G -Watson
G- Palmer
F- Copeland
F- Roby
C- Jordy

That’s maybe the best starting 5 since 1991, and all upperclassmen, a real edge we can have over most teams... anyways, I see that team possibly doing well. Then I see a bigger school hiring Miles after next year because of it, if Moose doesn’t give him an extension this year.

As good as 2019 may be, 2020 could be as bad. Miles will want to leave after next year knowing that 2019 is his best shot to act like he’s a good coach. I hope the Husker admin don’t fall for it. Let Miles win next year and GTFO afterwards on his own will. School will be that much richer not having to pay for buyouts.
On the other hand, what if he continues to bring in good recruits to replace those who leave after 2019?

Admittedly, I don’t follow recruiting at all for BB. But if he is able to replace outgoing players with similar caliber recruits, maybe it’s good for him to stay.

Don’t have strong feelings either way on this one, just wondering if his recruiting is good enough for him to have sustained success here.

Personally I wouldn't extend him. The topic shouldn't even come up unless he makes the tourney this year. Nobody expected Palmer to be as good as he is. IF he can't make it with the talent on the roster this year.....Make him make us extend him by proving it in the tourney.

I agree, NCAA tourney or bust for Miles next year. No excuses if he can't get it done with a very experienced and talented roster.

Unfortunately for Miles, the Big Ten should be much stronger overall next year. This year is about as weak as the Big Ten is going to get. We were also fortunate that all of our players have stayed healthy this year. Many of the other teams had major injuries - I think we'd have several more conference losses if this hadn't been the case.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Your post was nonsense. Altman becoming the head coach at Nebraska is absolutely nothing like - nor is it even remotely comparable to - Saban becoming the head coach at Kansas.

Altman is from Nebraska. This is the most significant difference and generally makes all the difference in the world.

Becoming a legend in your home state - when you aren't coaching a blueblood - might very well be a large draw. It's not a guarantee...it's probably not even likely at this point... But he is the best realistic shot Nebraska has at establishing something resembling a competent basketball program.
It wasn’t nonsense. It’d be idiotic for him to.

Stop talking.

I asked this once...who ARE his recruits for next season?

Xavier Johnson, point guard from Virginia is legit. He will challenge Watson for playing time.

Brady Heiman from Platteview. Skilled for a 6'10 guy but incredibly skinny, so I wouldn't expect him to play much next season. Miles needs to find a grad transfer or JUCO that can play inside.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
There's going to be some pissed off people when Miles gets a contract extension after the season.
Why is there even debate... Miles will be here next year even if he loses out at this point. Moos isnt going to fire a 20 game winner and upper half finish in the B1G. Some of you act like we are a proven program and looking to find a gem. We arent and miles will be back next year. Gets old hearing about it.

I agree, NCAA tourney or bust for Miles next year. No excuses if he can't get it done with a very experienced and talented roster.

Unfortunately for Miles, the Big Ten should be much stronger overall next year. This year is about as weak as the Big Ten is going to get. We were also fortunate that all of our players have stayed healthy this year. Many of the other teams had major injuries - I think we'd have several more conference losses if this hadn't been the case.

I am pretty sure if you look back 12 months ago the exact same post could be found. Keep him this year, but if he doesn't make the NCAAs next year he has to go......12 months later.......NEXT YEAR. Mediocre in perpetuity

Next Nebraska basketball coach and maybe this year if Nebraska doesn't get into the tournament.
Unless the Huskers have a complete melt down, Coach Miles will be coaching at Nebraska next year. JMO.

There has been significant progress this year vs. several previous years so I believe he will get more time.
I don't disagree, however, the success we've had this year is an illusion, due to a weak conference ...

I don't disagree, however, the success we've had this year is an illusion, due to a weak conference ...
I appreciate your response. But I would offer that in Basketball, we have to win our Conference to get anywhere.

We have to compete at the top of our Conference, and I have stated here before, Mr. Moos and Tim Miles will sit down after the season and talk it out. I have said that Tim Miles needs to win, lead the team to the NCAA this year, or the NIT. And if the latter is the opportunity, the Huskers have to win a couple games there.

Coach Miles has been at Nebraska long enough we pretty much know how the season will go more or less. If winning the Conference and competing at a National Level is our goal, the Mr. Moos will have to decide.

Reactions: burkek and saluno22
not about "Miles love". It's about Altman's own crappy season this year and the baggage he would be dragging with him. Not once did I claim Miles is a better coach than Altman so try again.
Then why even say it.
Altman is in a different universe than Miles.
We would be absolutely be lucky to have Altman
Funny you can see and are quick to point out the flaws in a coach who is a final four coach and consistently good but can't see Tim's obvious sucktitude.

There it is again..."next year"!
How much better would a better coach do? Thats my problem with all of this. Miles has had plenty of time to show us who he is.
Having said that, NU still has a shot to make the NCAA tourney. If he does it keep him. If not, we know who he is.

Why is there even debate... Miles will be here next year even if he loses out at this point. Moos isnt going to fire a 20 game winner and upper half finish in the B1G. Some of you act like we are a proven program and looking to find a gem. We arent and miles will be back next year. Gets old hearing about it.
Well I'm glad we built that frickin arena and state of the art locker rooms and practice facilities, sold out said arena for a coach to come in and have a worse record than his predecessor, 1 lucky NCAA appearance, and losses to a terrible Illinois team with one of the best rosters we've ever had.
Miles deserves credit for assembling the team. I've said that.
But if he doesn't make the NCAA with it, WHO CARES?

There it is again..."next year"!
How much better would a better coach do? Thats my problem with all of this. Miles has had plenty of time to show us who he is.
Having said that, NU still has a shot to make the NCAA tourney. If he does it keep him. If not, we know who he is.

We're not going to fire a coach after winning 20+ games and finishing in the Top 5 of the Big Ten - even if it's a down year for the conference. Especially when we were predicted to finish 13th in the preseason. Unless Moos has some super awesome coach waiting to take this job, which I very highly doubt. The only bball coach he's ever hired is Ernie Kent, who is about to get fired again.

I've been plenty critical of Miles, but he has done enough to earn one more year. With that said, I hope Moos does not give him a big extension.

We're not going to fire a coach after winning 20+ games and finishing in the Top 5 of the Big Ten - even if it's a down year for the conference. Especially when we were predicted to finish 13th in the preseason. Unless Moos has some super awesome coach waiting to take this job, which I very highly doubt. The only bball coach he's ever hired is Ernie Kent, who is about to get fired again.

I've been plenty critical of Miles, but he has done enough to earn one more year. With that said, I hope Moos does not give him a big extension.
Oh I'm sure he'll get another year.
Whether he deserves one is another story.
If they make the NCAA then he absolutely deserves one.

Then why even say it.
Altman is in a different universe than Miles.
We would be absolutely be lucky to have Altman
Funny you can see and are quick to point out the flaws in a coach who is a final four coach and consistently good but can't see Tim's obvious sucktitude.
I didn't say a single thing about Miles. Not one. You jumped to the "Miles love" statement when I merely pointed out Oregon's record and standing (7th) in their weak conference this year. I didn't have to bring up the ongoing investigations because somebody else did. Did Oregon get the guys to take him deep in the tourney by cash payments? It's going to be interesting when the FBI finishes up and charges start getting filed.

I didn't say a single thing about Miles. Not one. You jumped to the "Miles love" statement when I merely pointed out Oregon's record and standing (7th) in their weak conference this year. I didn't have to bring up the ongoing investigations because somebody else did. Did Oregon get the guys to take him deep in the tourney by cash payments? It's going to be interesting when the FBI finishes up and charges start getting filed.
As Bob Delaney aledgedly said , he’d like to win enough to warrant an investigation... or something like that

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT