ADVERTISEMENT

Curious what everyone thinks about our receiver play so far this season?

litespeedhuskerfan

Nebraska Legend
Aug 27, 2006
Didn't get to watch as much of the laat game as I would have liked, but i'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on how our receivers are doing so far this year?

Reactions: iROOT4nu
Upgrade from last year, but teams are also playing the pass more than last year. I’m disappointed we don’t have more of a deep threat but that may be by design from both us and opponents. We struggle to get open vs man, luckily Dylan has been able to drop some dimes vs tight coverage. The biggest disappointment has been blocking from the wr’s. Our running game and short passing game has been handicapped by our wr’s (lack of) blocking

I think we could benefit from a top flight receiver coach who has played the position at a high-level.

I expected more out of this position group this year, especially after hearing about all of the elite speed we had recruited. I like what I see out of Neyor and that’s about it.

I think we have more talent in the room than maybe ever. But not quite getting the maximum production out of such talent…

A lot more talent than I'm used to seeing at that position. I like them all.

I only watch on TV so I rarely get to see the routes they're running in total. I don't know if DR is sometimes a little late with the ball or if the receiver never did get any separation. Hopefully we continue to recruit well & coach them up to have some freak difference makers for DR going forward.

Reactions: iROOT4nu
I don’t think there have been many drops so that is a good thing. Seems like against better competition they aren’t getting open. Against softer DBs the speedy guys can outrun them and be open. They aren’t playing bad but I believe they can be better.

Reactions: huntered
I think we could benefit from a top flight receiver coach who has played the position at a high-level.

I expected more out of this position group this year, especially after hearing about all of the elite speed we had recruited. I like what I see out of Neyor and that’s about it.

I hear ya. Gotta remember a lot of that speed is redshirting. Also got remember just being fast is only one part of being a good WR. We have some speedsters like Lloyd, Neyor, and Barney playing a ton. But we have guys like Coleman, Hall, and Morris all with the RS. That's a ton of speed on the bench. I think all those guys go 10.6 or better in the case of Coleman. Add in the guy who got hurt in the spring game and we have probably more speed not playing than playing.

Again this doesn't make them good/great WRs but the speed is definitely there. Although no doubt in my mind the kid who got hurt (name slips me) was gonna be a dog.

Holla

Disappointed for the amount of hype they had received. Out battled for balls

Last edited:
Upgrade from last year, but teams are also playing the pass more than last year. I’m disappointed we don’t have more of a deep threat but that may be by design from both us and opponents. We struggle to get open vs man, luckily Dylan has been able to drop some dimes vs tight coverage. The biggest disappointment has been blocking from the wr’s. Our running game and short passing game has been handicapped by our wr’s (lack of) blocking
Illinois was mugging our WRs which severely limited their opportunities. The wind was major factor this past Saturday. I don't think we tried a single deep ball in the second half because of the wind. Our starting WRs are pretty damned good.

Illinois was mugging our WRs which severely limited their opportunities. The wind was major factor this past Saturday. I don't think we tried a single deep ball in the second half because of the wind. Our starting WRs are pretty damned good.
Purdue threw deep balls

Others have covered it, but I like our WRs.
Not convinced about play/route designs giving us best opportunity.
Dylan’s missed a few throws but usually throws catchable balls.
Would like to see more beastly blocking.

Overall, my concern would be coaching and play design. However, this is a VASTLY improved passing attack from last year.

I’m convinced Dylan’s gonna tap into another level here soon. Lightbulbs should start about this time of year….. comfort and chemistry with enough experience to unleash what lies beneath.

Reactions: huntered
Others have covered it, but I like our WRs.
Not convinced about play/route designs giving us best opportunity.
Dylan’s missed a few throws but usually throws catchable balls.
Would like to see more beastly blocking.

Overall, my concern would be coaching and play design. However, this is a VASTLY improved passing attack from last year.

I’m convinced Dylan’s gonna tap into another level here soon. Lightbulbs should start about this time of year….. comfort and chemistry with enough experience to unleash what lies beneath.
we kind of look like we are in an experimentation stage. thinking this will get smoother.

I guess I was expecting more big plays. I think we have some talent but it just seems our two big transfers aren’t separating themselves as well as I think they should.

Not sure what guys were expecting but Banks was NEVER that big play guy. He's pretty much been a big body possession receiver. In fact the knock on him was that he didn't separate a lot during routes

Neyor on the other hands was deemed a big play guy and I think he's done pretty good . A lot of people don't wanna talk about it but if Dylan put the ball out there a little further he likely have 3-4 more TDs instead of all those DPIs on the CBs.

Bonner isn't ever gonna be a big play threat but I like his fit in the offense.

Only one I'm kinda surprised that doesn't have more big plays is Lloyd. I expected a bit more from him I guess but is it truly his fault? Barney is getting his share as they carve out a niche for him without having to run the entire route tree for him. But he's touching it plenty and made his plays.

This offense will take another step when they find a true difference makers at RB. Right now we just have OK guys. Hoping that kid from Mizzu can be it next year. Ive heard Ruhle say it several times about getting our RBs to make a guy miss and turn some of those 12 yard runs into 50 yard runs. I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately by the time these kids have been in college 2-3 years good luck trying to teach "make you miss". I think you have it or you don't and other than EJ our guys don't.

Holla

Not sure what guys were expecting but Banks was NEVER that big play guy. He's pretty much been a big body possession receiver. In fact the knock on him was that he didn't separate a lot during routes

Neyor on the other hands was deemed a big play guy and I think he's done pretty good . A lot of people don't wanna talk about it but if Dylan put the ball out there a little further he likely have 3-4 more TDs instead of all those DPIs on the CBs.

Bonner isn't ever gonna be a big play threat but I like his fit in the offense.

Only one I'm kinda surprised that doesn't have more big plays is Lloyd. I expected a bit more from him I guess but is it truly his fault? Barney is getting his share as they carve out a niche for him without having to run the entire route tree for him. But he's touching it plenty and made his plays.

This offense will take another step when they find a true difference makers at RB. Right now we just have OK guys. Hoping that kid from Mizzu can be it next year. Ive heard Ruhle say it several times about getting our RBs to make a guy miss and turn some of those 12 yard runs into 50 yard runs. I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately by the time these kids have been in college 2-3 years good luck trying to teach "make you miss". I think you have it or you don't and other than EJ our guys don't.

Holla
Yep. Neyor has had a few steps multiple times and Dylan has underthrown it. I get trying to get PI a few times, but sometimes you have to hit that for a TD to change the game.

Grading WR’a is nearly impossible just from watching games. The camera is generally on the LOS and doesn’t show the entire field. You might get a replay of a WR making a catch or dropping one but not many good shots of the entire WR corp working in unison.

Probably the best overall group of WRs we have had for a while. Haven’t got all the jump balls but have also made some back shoulder catches while going down/diving.

We have stretched the field plenty with the deep ball, perhaps a bit too often for such a low percentage pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT