ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton beat UCONN

Creighton is an Omaha team, not a Nebraska team. There is a difference (and this is coming from someone who lives in Omaha). You think Creighton gives a shit about or represents the values of Greater Nebraska? They don't, and this is one of the many distinctions that make the old "why can't we just root for all Nebraska teams" a really dumb statement/argument.

I'm sure I will get some "Omaha is in Nebraska, dumbass" responses, but I think everyone understands what I mean and knows its true.

Meh...I root for both...and since Omaha is in Nebraska....I'll allow that train of thought.

Creighton is an Omaha team, not a Nebraska team. There is a difference (and this is coming from someone who lives in Omaha). You think Creighton gives a shit about or represents the values of Greater Nebraska? They don't, and this is one of the many distinctions that make the old "why can't we just root for all Nebraska teams" a really dumb statement/argument.

I'm sure I will get some "Omaha is in Nebraska, dumbass" responses, but I think everyone understands what I mean and knows its true.
If you embrace the B1G you also don’t represent the values of Greater Nebraska.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
If you embrace the B1G you also don’t represent the values of Greater Nebraska.
I do actually agree with this. Too lazy to explain why. Also don’t wanna get in a pissing match about it either. But culturally I think we did fit better in the Big 12. I just miss the old days. But I’m also a get off my lawn guy, too. So forgive me for being old and not progressive.

I think you’re a dumbazz for making the statement in the first place.

does all of Omaha root for Creighton?

I do actually agree with this. Too lazy to explain why. Also don’t wanna get in a pissing match about it either. But culturally I think we did fit better in the Big 12. I just miss the old days. But I’m also a get off my lawn guy, too. So forgive me for being old and not progressive.
There are people here who will take this post as a cry to rejoin the Big 12.

Which, of course, is not what you’re saying at all.

100% agree with every word of this.

Reactions: BetterRed
What do you get when Iowa plays creighton?

34340e3f-4e20-4056-ac6e-8311774e97ee_text.gif

Growing up in the area and attending practices during the Barone era is what opened my eyes to the program. Harstad and Gallagher as well. Its always Nebraksa 1st but rooting for Creighton hoops is pretty fun too. If you arent from the area it makes total sense to not care about the program. They are getting more Nebraska natives on the roster as well. In the end its college sports and being the fan police is lame. Root for or against who you want just be an adult about things.

Right now they have to be the favorite.

Kentucky had like 3 dudes shooting 50% from 3...they should be killing teams.
Those dudes need to learn how to play defense. Kentucky's defense forgets to play defense in a lot of games.

Reactions: BTF69
Two #1 ranked teams taken down in Nebraska in the same season. Doubt that’s happened before.
Probably not in Nebraska but the 12-13 season it happened. It happens more frequently if you count the NCAA tourney...

Growing up in the area and attending practices during the Barone era is what opened my eyes to the program. Harstad and Gallagher as well. Its always Nebraksa 1st but rooting for Creighton hoops is pretty fun too. If you arent from the area it makes total sense to not care about the program. They are getting more Nebraska natives on the roster as well. In the end its college sports and being the fan police is lame. Root for or against who you want just be an adult about things.
Meh. As a Western Nebraska person, it is fun to hate on all things Omaha and Crayton falls into that category. It's almost comical how people from Omaha act like Omaha is some massive, awesome, exclusive city. When I went to college it was nuts to me how people from Omaha might not even know where North Bend was and it is about 50 minutes from Omaha let alone know where a Gothenburg or hell even Kearney was. I've always thought Omaha people believe they are elite to the rest of the state and that is why a lot of folks outside that bubble don't give a shit about people from there.

I root for Creighton but mostly just because I really enjoy Big East hoops and the Jays give me a team to pull for. I don’t care who else loves them or hates them - none of my business.

Besides, the whole program is going right down the shitter as soon as [insert name here] is no longer playing.

Meh. As a Western Nebraska person, it is fun to hate on all things Omaha and Crayton falls into that category. It's almost comical how people from Omaha act like Omaha is some massive, awesome, exclusive city. When I went to college it was nuts to me how people from Omaha might not even know where North Bend was and it is about 50 minutes from Omaha let alone know where a Gothenburg or hell even Kearney was. I've always thought Omaha people believe they are elite to the rest of the state and that is why a lot of folks outside that bubble don't give a shit about people from there.
I had no idea that North Bend was that close to Omaha until recently.

I don't think it is an "elite" think it is more that you don't really need to leave the Omaha area to get stuff in North Bend or Arlington or Fort Calhoun.

Like, going to Blair is fun because you can party on the river and stuff but I would not go to Blair for dinner or shopping.

I don't think it is an "elite" think it is more that you don't really need to leave the Omaha area to get stuff in North Bend or Arlington or Fort Calhoun.

Like, going to Blair is fun because you can party on the river and stuff but I would not go to Blair for dinner or shopping.
Exhibit A

I think this kinda sums it up. If you’re from Omaha, as I am, there’s no need to go outside its boundaries for anything. Not an elitist attitude, just reality. I don’t need to know where North Bend is cuz I don’t have to.🤷🏻‍♂️. Maybe that sounds snobbish, but it’s really not.

Sounds like someone has an inferiority complex. How does it affect you as to what some clown from Omaha thinks about Western Nebraska or if they know how far away North Bend is from Omaha. Live your happy little life in small town Nebraska if that is what you choose to do.
It doesn't and I don't live in small town Nebraska. Just commenting on when I was in college, I thought most kids from Omaha were douche bags because they looked down on people from my neck of the woods. That's it. I've got a fine life now and I still love hating on Crayton. That's all.

It doesn't and I don't live in small town Nebraska. Just commenting on when I was in college, I thought most kids from Omaha were douche bags because they looked down on people from my neck of the woods. That's it. I've got a fine life now and I still love hating on Crayton. That's all.
So are you a douchebag now for hating on those kids because you are looking down on them for being from Omaha?

da0279a5-b6e8-43b3-a4de-7ab34ee6ac32_text.gif

So are you a douchebag now for hating on those kids because you are looking down on them?
Nope, not looking down on them whatsoever. Just choosing the root against them and their fan base, because of the Husker hate they reciprocate with. It's all in good fun. Call me whatever you want Tuco, I truly don't give a shit. Just here to talk mostly Husker football and engage in Jay hate. That's it. Have a great day.

You can kind of understand why that happened. One team plays in a great basketball conference that's had some great players, including one all time great whose dad is the coach, that plays an exciting brand of basketball.

The other has failed to meet a minimum standard of just okay 90 percent of the time over the last 30 years and has never won a game in the tournament and who let a clown of an associate AD run the program for a long while.

There is a little bit of truth to this. The latest statistics I have seen is that 17% of Creighton students are from Nebraska and 11% from the Omaha area. By my math, that means that somewhere around 6% of CU's student body is from outside of Omaha but somewhere else in Nebraska. That ain't much.

But it wasn't always that way. Going way back, the Creighton family did more to establish the Omaha (and thereby, the Nebraska) economy than Warren Buffet could ever dream of. The family had numerous prosperous businesses and, of course, established a major university within the state's borders.

While CU is more of a national university at this time, it wasn't always that way. That university educated a huge portion of Omaha college grads in years gone past, including my father, the first one in his family to attend college. He was far from the only one campus like that, and the majority of people he knew came from in-state, including places like Atkinson, Grand Island and Ord. They were all blue-collar kids. He played basketball at CU in 1946 and, due to the first-rate education he received there, he was able to provide for his family his whole life.

Growing up in Omaha, I followed both CU and NU, and most everybody my age did too (I'm 68). I know many people, including two siblings, who got one degree at CU and another at NU. Not sure how common that is these days, but it was not at all unusual just a generation ago. My degrees are all from NU, but I cheer for CU whenever they aren't playing Nebraska. And since I went to HS at Creighton Prep, I'm well aware that there are a few d-bags who turn down their noses at that school in Lincoln. BFD.

I was unaware of the state outside of Omaha growing up, but that wasn't due to snobbery. Like someone else said, I just never went to Ainsworth or Hastings or Chadron -- an away game in HS was a 15-minute ride across town. At this point, I love greater Nebraska (spend a lot of time in the Sandhills and Panhandle) and Omaha too. I suppose that makes me a Jayskeringinandoutstater, but I'm OK with that.

Creighton talk aside, small town Nebraska can be a really fun time as well. I wonder what its like in Western Nebraska. Do they root for Wyoming?

Here's something that may, or may not, be interesting - of UNO, NU, and Creighton, which team has the most Nebraska natives on the roster?

UNO - 2
NU - 3 (4 if Sam Hoiberg is included)
CU - 5

Raised in Omaha and proud of it. My job and various interests took me into many small towns in Nebraska from east to west and north to south. I liked most of them, a few were meh. Sometimes when I drove into a small town and they saw the Douglas county plates the reception I received was mostly okay; a few were kinda hostile. If I spent enough time talking to folks in small towns it usually became all good. A little aside about small towns.....if you weren't born there you were never fully accepted no matter how long you lived there. You could have been born ten miles away in town A, but if you moved to town B, you were an outsider.

When I see out-state plates in Omaha and they drive a little indecisively I cut them a break. My experience has typically been that a person gets the reception their behavior deserves. Not always, but generally. That applied to those times I was overseas as well. Except Paris and Nice. If the Earth opened them up and swallowed them I would not care less.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Here's something that may, or may not, be interesting - of UNO, NU, and Creighton, which team has the most Nebraska natives on the roster?

UNO - 2
NU - 3 (4 if Sam Hoiberg is included)
CU - 5
I’d put Scheierman at the top followed by Frankie Fidler at UNO. Also Do the Huskers recruit much in the Omaha area? Seems that the very best head to out of state teams and the rest go to Creighton or in the case of Fidler to UNO

I heard this is his last year. Unhappy with the administration. Hard to believe until it happens.
That has been refuted by many at Creighton. They get along, is it like how we got along with Rasmussen? No but saying he’s unhappy is false.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT