ADVERTISEMENT

Could just be a fluke bad game

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I was curious if TO had any close games like this back in the day. I was in my teens in the 90s so didn't really remember. All I remember are blowouts and Neb dominating everyone. Especially in the 90s,I went back and looked from 1980-1997. There were only 3 I could find that were against non p5 schools that were close.

89 Utah we were #4 won 42-30
94 Wyoming we were #2 won 42-32
97 UCF we were #6 won 38-24

Im not saying we will be on the same level as those teams, but it is good to know even great teams like the 90s Nebraska had a game or 2 where everything just went to shit. I hope this is the case here. We had a fluke bad game, and things will be clicking next week. Its good to hope right?;)

Last edited:
I was curious if TO had any close games like this back in the day. I was in my teens in the 90s so didn't really remember. All I remember are blowouts and Neb dominating everyone. Especially in the 90s,I went back and looked from 1980-1997. There were only 3 I could find that were against non p5 schools that were close.

Im not saying we will be on the same level as those teams, but it is good to know even great teams like the 90s Nebraska had a game or 2 were everything just went to shit. I hope this is the case here. We had a fluke bad game, and things will be clicking next week. Its good to hope right?;)

Hope so. If we come out and stomp a mudhole in the puffs next week I'll be the happiest dude to ever lose a profile picture bet.

Im not saying we will be on the same level as those teams, but it is good to know even great teams like the 90s Nebraska had a game or 2 were everything just went to shit. I hope this is the case here. We had a fluke bad game, and things will be clicking next week. Its good to hope right?;)
I appreciate what you have put together here, but I do think that non P5 schools are just better today as well. We see non P5 schools and FBS schools even beat P5 schools every year, when back in the day, it never happened (at least, not against the top P5 teams).

The first time I remember it ever happening was Appalachian State over Michigan in Lloyd Carr’s final year as coach. Prior to that, unless you were a Kansas or something, I don’t remember it happening.

I think the guys knew how inferior their competition was and knew the expectations. They just tried to play to perfect, especially Martinez. This lead to a lot of second guessing and that's okay! Got some of the jitters out. Hopefully they can calm down and "go out and play" next week.

Im not saying we will be on the same level as those teams, but it is good to know even great teams like the 90s Nebraska had a game or 2 where everything just went to shit. I hope this is the case here. We had a fluke bad game, and things will be clicking next week. Its good to hope right?;)

Yes, that's true enough. It "could" be our scenario too......I sure hope so!

The problem with your logic is I remember all 3 of those games.

89 Utah, we were up 42-16 with 3:30-ish left in the game. Utah has 2 garbage time TDs. They scored with 0:00 left on the clock and also got a 2 point conversion after that. I don’t even think we had starters in.

I wouldn’t call the 1997 UCF team bad. Daunte Culpepper was their QB and was the #1 high school football recruit out of High School.

The 94 game was due to being flat in game 5 of the season. So at best is you can say we came out flat today. But who the hell is flat for the first game? I don’t care who you play. If your not up for the first game, football isn’t probably a true love.

The problem with your logic is I remember all 3 of those games.

89 Utah, we were up 42-16 with 3:30-ish left in the game. Utah has 2 garbage time TDs. They scored with 0:00 left on the clock and also got a 2 point conversion after that. I don’t even think we had starters in.

I wouldn’t call the 1997 UCF team bad. Daunte Culpepper was their QB and was the #1 high school football recruit out of High School.

The 94 game was due to being flat in game 5 of the season. So at best is you can say we came out flat today. But who the hell is flat for the first game? I don’t care who you play. If your not up for the first game, football isn’t probably a true love.
Pretty sure it isn’t an either/or here... I have a hard time believing our guys don’t love football. I am guessing there are factors other that came into play today.

Reactions: husker2612
Pretty sure it isn’t an either/or here... I have a hard time believing our guys don’t love football. I am guessing there are factors other that came into play today.
I agree, I don’t believe our guys don’t love football. And that’s why I am concerned about A-Marts play.

I will say to his defense this system feeds on rhythm. It was impossible to get into rhythm in the 2nd half. The offense didn’t get to touch the ball until 6 min left in the 3rd Q. Three TDs were scored in the second half before A-Mart even Took a snap.
Then on a drive when the offense seemed to be in rythm Mills fumbled the ball.

I’ve been very hesitant to crown Mills anything. To me, he’s still an unproven back. I don’t see how he works in this offense. He doesn’t seem fast enough. I don’t care that he’s The bruiser, he still has to have some speed

And I guess all we can do is hope Martinez has a bad game. But it’s alarming to see that he had zero TDs today. Very odd to see a duel threat QB on a ranked team against an inferior opponent put up a goose egg in TDs.

I agree, I don’t believe our guys don’t love football. And that’s why I am concerned about A-Marts play.

I will say to his defense this system feeds on rhythm. It was impossible to get into rhythm in the 2nd half. The offense didn’t get to touch the ball until 6 min left in the 3rd Q. Three TDs were scored in the second half before A-Mart even Took a snap.
Then on a drive when the offense seemed to be in rythm Mills fumbled the ball.

I’ve been very hesitant to crown Mills anything. To me, he’s still an unproven back. I don’t see how he works in this offense. He doesn’t seem fast enough. I don’t care that he’s The bruiser, he still has to have some speed

And I guess all we can do is hope Martinez has a bad game. But it’s alarming to see that he had zero TDs today. Very odd to see a duel threat QB on a ranked team against an inferior opponent put up a goose egg in TDs.
Only other time I saw AM look like this was Michigan last year, which was perfectly understandable. Today was a head scratcher as far as AM is concerned. I hope this game doesn’t stick with him, affecting his play down the road. Just learn from it and move on.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yep. That’s my take, a fluke bad game. Frost said earlier in Fall Camp that he expected a let because it always happen, but he said this year it didn’t happen. Then after the game he said this was one of the worst offensive performances he has been part of in a long time, and then said that the offense didn’t practice well on Tuesday or Wednesday. We all watched last year, so we know what the offense is capable of. I suspect the hype and pressure may have gotten to them a bit today. I fully expect them to settle down and expect the real NU offense to show up next week.

Reactions: timnsun
That took a miracle for us to beat them. Wasn't that the game that Berringer played with a collapsed lung and Frazier was out?
Yes, indeed, it was!

Barron Miles also laid out for a sweet INT, and the Blackshirts high-lowed Wyoming's QB simultaneously. It was nasty. Wyoming's QB got hit so hard, his facemask got bent.

EDIT: The high-low hit is at 0:37

Barron Miles' INT is at 2:13

Last edited:

It’s all good brotha. It was week one and the offense had an off game. The defense played great but the offense was just....off. Let’s see how we look against Colorado. Depending how that goes...then that’s when we talk or have some worries.

To correct my earlier version of this post, I didn't notice the p5 comment, but when fsu beat NU in 1980, I think in the 4th game of the season , fsu was not affiliated with a conference, yet, and was considered 2nd tier as an independent lost 18-16 I think

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
in 76 #1 lsu tied
70's lost to iowa state once or twice and tied once, lost to ou and bowl games a bunch, lowt to washington state once in the 70's missery in 78, etc.
Those teams were all from power conferences and finished with winning records. (The only team TO ever lost to that finished with a losing record was 1992 Iowa State.)

Those teams were all from power conferences and finished with winning records. (The only team TO ever lost to that finished with a losing record was 1992 Iowa State.)
yeah, you're right, I didn't notice the p5 comment, but when fsu beat nu in 1980 I think in the 4th game of the season , fsu was not affiliated with a conference, yet, and was considered 2nd tier as an independent lost 18-16 I think

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I appreciate what you have put together here, but I do think that non P5 schools are just better today as well. We see non P5 schools and FBS schools even beat P5 schools every year, when back in the day, it never happened (at least, not against the top P5 teams).

The first time I remember it ever happening was Appalachian State over Michigan in Lloyd Carr’s final year as coach. Prior to that, unless you were a Kansas or something, I don’t remember it happening.

Non P5 wins over P5 the 1st 2 weeks:

Hawaii over Arizona
Boise over FSU
Nevada over Purdue
Wyoming over Missouri
Georgia State over Tennessee

Utah State, South Dakota State and Northern Iowa all came very close.

Yep. That’s my take, a fluke bad game. Frost said earlier in Fall Camp that he expected a let because it always happen, but he said this year it didn’t happen. Then after the game he said this was one of the worst offensive performances he has been part of in a long time, and then said that the offense didn’t practice well on Tuesday or Wednesday. We all watched last year, so we know what the offense is capable of. I suspect the hype and pressure may have gotten to them a bit today. I fully expect them to settle down and expect the real NU offense to show up next week.
They continue to struggle to control a line of scrimmage

Reactions: ssmill777
Central Florida in 1997 is a good example. Frost came out stone-cold in that game. The offense couldn't do anything. Central Florida was play very well behind Daunte Culpepper. When Frankie London came in and drove the Huskers to a TD, fans started cheering Frankie's name, which led to the infamous but incorrectly-cited "booing" incident. More likely, the team was looking ahead to playing at #2 Washington the next week.

It’s all good brotha. It was week one and the offense had an off game. The defense played great but the offense was just....off. Let’s see how we look against Colorado. Depending how that goes...then that’s when we talk or have some worries.

While I think we are far better than CU, it scares me a bit that we have yet to win a road game.

I honestly don't think we're that good yet. We played a lot of freshmen and sophomores so it's going to take some time to gel. The good thing is that our boys now know how to win. This time last year we had no clue how to finish a game.
Having said all that, I still believe that we are good enough to win 8-9 games with this schedule.

Offense probably played as bad as we’ll see all year and we won the game by 14 points.

And to make it worse, we could have won by 20 if not 23 points had B Pickering played. There where several times we where in field goal range and went for it instead. Give us Pickering and there’s at least 3-9 more points. Our starting Kicker being injured and held out of the game took away several field goals that would gotten with him. Score would if looked like this with B Pickering....41-21 or 44-21

We are nowhere near the stability of those teams. Give Frost more than 1 year to get there.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT