ADVERTISEMENT

Could Drew Ott have landed at Nebraska?

He wanted to be a husker
This is what makes it hilarious to watch the bloners rip Riley for missing out on a 3 star. The only difference is the recent kid got pub because of a jilted ex-player with hard feelings being turned down for a job on Rileys staff.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Not much we can do about it now. I wish him well in all games except one. Stating the obvious but we could've used him at DE here during his career...major congrats to him on his success achieved and in the future.

GBR

Reactions: baseball31ne
He was a project that turned out really well. Just goes to show it is a numbers game sometimes to for all schools. You cant take everyone you like.

Derp...weird.. He is on scholly at Iowa.

I think if Nebraska would have offered, he'd be playing here.

In the 2012 class we did sign McMullen(5.8 4*) over Mich State, ND, and Ohio State, along with Avery Moss (5.7 3*) over ASU, Zona, and Stanford. If Avery could keep his peter in his pants we could be looking at a much stronger D-Line right now.

Regardless, he's a great player. Kirk knows his lineman and he should be playing on Sundays soon.

Reactions: huskerj12
Derp...weird.. He is on scholly at Iowa.

Derp...

"If you get a full ride to Iowa, would you walk on at Nebraska?" Ashby said. "He said, 'I'm going to walk on at Nebraska.'"

He wasn't asked to walk on, Pelini strikes again, hence why he's at Io_a.

I think if Nebraska would have offered, he'd be playing here.

Article says he would have walked on, we didn't even have to offer a scholarship. Another notch against Pelini and crew.

Derp...

"If you get a full ride to Iowa, would you walk on at Nebraska?" Ashby said. "He said, 'I'm going to walk on at Nebraska.'"

He wasn't asked to walk on, Pelini strikes again, hence why he's at Io_a.

Article says he would have walked on, we didn't even have to offer a scholarship. Another notch against Pelini and crew.

Your reading skills need some work, the article never says he wasn't offered as a walk on.

http://www.1011now.com/sports/headl...t-Enters-Senior-Season-at-Iowa-320206361.html

"Drew Ott was never offered a scholarship by Nebraska. Bo Pelini wanted the Giltner native to walk-on for the Cornhuskers. So for Ott, his decision wasn't too difficult. He wanted to 'go where he was wanted,' he told 10-11 as a high school senior."

Your reading skills need some work, the article never says he wasn't offered as a walk on.

You're not very smart. Had he been offered to walk-on, he'd be at Nebraska as a walk-on, not on scholarship at Io_a. His high school coach said so himself.

RollingLaugh

"Bo Pelini wanted the Giltner native to walk-on for the Cornhuskers."

:rolleyes:

Nowhere is he quoted nor did he say that during the interview however, we do have a quote from his coach saying Ott told him he would walk-on at Nebraska over a scholarship at Io_a.

Well, since he's at Io_a, it means he was never offered to walk-on. Fail by Pelini.

The bottom line is AT THE TIME HE WAS RECRUITED, he was a project and we had more talented guys committed. Iowa had LOTS of room for a borderline project. OTT worked his tail off and after several years built himself in to a darned good player. It worked out well for both parties. He should have been a Husker but that's the way the cookie crumbled. Just for MONEY considerations I would have had to hold my nose and go to Iowa in his shoes too. Soooo Ferentz got lucky. Good for him.

I lost my appetite the moment I saw he was a Parade All American. That hurt. He may have been a project, but he had tremendous upside and motor, so without question Pelini and then gang whiffed here BIG TIME. Add that to the list of reasons we're glad he's gone.

Last edited:
The bottom line is AT THE TIME HE WAS RECRUITED, he was a project and we had more talented guys committed. Iowa had LOTS of room for a borderline project. OTT worked his tail off and after several years built himself in to a darned good player. It worked out well for both parties. He should have been a Husker but that's the way the cookie crumbled. Just for MONEY considerations I would have had to hold my nose and go to Iowa in his shoes too. Soooo Ferentz got lucky. Good for him.
I would agree that every staff overlooks a hidden gem from time to time, but how did this "work out well for both parties"? How did the NU program benefit from missing the boat on Ott?

Both parties = Iowa and Ott. Ott got a free education and sorry assed recruiter Ferentz got a good player. Sorry I didn't make that clear for you.

Wasn't it Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders who wanted to come to NU but T.O. wanted to use them as DB's? At least one if not both. There were other players that got passed on only to have great careers, it happens to all coaches.

Last edited:
Both parties = Iowa and Ott. Ott got a free education and sorry assed recruiter Ferentz got a good player. Sorry I didn't make that clear for you.
Okay, sorry. I thought you were talking Ott and NU.

Yeah there's no doubt things worked out well for both Iowa and Ott. He's been a huge find for the Hawks.

That
That "sorry ass recruiter" has finished in the top10 3 times since 2000 -How about you?

That
That "sorry ass recruiter" has finished in the top10 3 times since 2000 -How about you?
I'm assuming his recruiting prowess is a reference to more recent times... Husker fans have been accused of living in the past... I think this counts as well.

That
Older person living in the past maybe? What's he done lately? Lets start that IO_A chant, "We're #10! We're #10! We're #10!" Sooo does your trophy case have a plaque in it denoting those 10th/11th poll finishes? Ferentz is a lazy recruiter and uses some of the same sorry assed excuses Pelini did for his shortcomings. Whiine about your location, weather and whatever. EVERY program gets SOME talent and Ferentz has managed to get just enough guys to keep his job. Fortunately for him he hoodwinked his AD a few years back in to giving him a ridiculous contract that prevents IO_A from getting rid of him. He's got his money and all he has to do is win just enough with the guys he can easily get.

Did Nebraska take a look at Nathan Bazata?

Curious about any comments on this as well (obviously they didn't offer), as Bazata is set to start at DT this year for Iowa as a sophomore (over a 4* JR) so he's doing pretty well too.

Curious about any comments on this as well (obviously they didn't offer), as Bazata is set to start at DT this year for Iowa as a sophomore (over a 4* JR) so he's doing pretty well too.
Red state work ethic.

Laughing @ any of you guys trying to reason with or tell HTO something. He is all "facts" just ask him, he will tell you.

Fact = Drew Ott was not asked to walk-on at Nebraska.

Fact = Because of that, he accepted a scholarship offer from Io_a.

Fact = Uncle Sam notified me I'll need your personal info to claim on taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT