ADVERTISEMENT

Commit

How is me not impressed with our current class "conclusive proof" I am not a Husker fan?

It is completely ok to think critically and not be blind to reality. As I have said, show me one football program at our level who has won a national championship with a class that resembles one close to our current ranking. Just one.

The question was, 'what's not to like about this commitment?'

Let me rephrase the question to hopefully make it easier, what specifically do you not like about this commitment?

Reactions: timnsun
How is me not impressed with our current class "conclusive proof" I am not a Husker fan?

It is completely ok to think critically and not be blind to reality. As I have said, show me one football program at our level who has won a national championship with a class that resembles one close to our current ranking. Just one.

Honestly, I think you should probably be impressed with every skill player Riley recruits and eventually signs... Nobody else in the Big Ten West is even approaching these athletes.

The question was, 'what's not to like about this commitment?'

Let me rephrase the question to hopefully make it easier, what specifically do you not like about this commitment?

I am not going answer that question. I am not going to rag on a 17 year old kid on a public forum. Get real.

I love this kid's film.

Potentially an absolutely dynamic slot wideout in this system. Very, very Jeremy Maclin like.
Yeah, okay. Because we've put how many 1st round receivers in the league? Let's keep a realistic perspective. I'm guessing no one on here is a talent scout. There's a reason no other major schools have offered. He might be great, but dang. I get sick of heRing how every recruit is the second coming. If that's the case why is it 15 years and counting. Sorry for being a downer, but just slow the roll a little.

I am not going answer that question. I am not going to rag on a 17 year old kid on a public forum. Get real.
Which is why I question your fandom. His stats are off the charts! Fourth in the nation! And he plays in California. Take off the blinders…

I agree but Odell Beckham is 5`11

Not at all saying that you have to be big to be a good WR. Just that ideally we'd have a mix, a couple shifty little DPE type guys, a number of mid-sized guys, and a couple of tall lanky Quincy Enunwa bodies out there. I thought Jariah Tolbert would be our next-generation go-to guy on the quick third-down slant but he blew it.

Our problem keeping tall scholarship WRs has been covered by some really good big walk-on WRs but I don't know if you count on that. Itty Bitty Committee sounds better than it works, usually. We got the shifty little guy (Spielman), got a mid-sized playmaker (Grim) now I think we need to fill out the hole in the roster at big WR with at least one of likely two more WR recruits, if not both. Love how we've started our WR class but we're not done until we've filled that need, IMO.

But as I said, problem for another day. Today is a good day, love this commit.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Not at all saying that you have to be big to be a good WR. Just that ideally we'd have a mix, a couple shifty little DPE type guys, a number of mid-sized guys, and a couple of tall lanky Quincy Enunwa bodies out there. I thought Jariah Tolbert would be our next-generation go-to guy on the quick third-down slant but he blew it.

Our problem keeping tall scholarship WRs has been covered by some really good big walk-on WRs but I don't know if you count on that. Itty Bitty Committee sounds better than it works, usually. We got the shifty little guy (Spielman), got a mid-sized playmaker (Grim) now I think we need to fill out the hole in the roster at big WR with at least one of likely two more WR recruits, if not both. Love how we've started our WR class but we're not done until we've filled that need, IMO.

But as I said, problem for another day. Today is a good day, love this commit.

Aren`t all the 6`5 and 6`6 receivers at BYU ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: nothingkevin
I agree but Odell Beckham is 5`11
Height has nothing to do with it I agree. Plenty of legit badasses 6'0 and under. Demornay Pierson-El was an absolute beast last season and I am sure when healthy this season will take off where he left off last season. But bottom line, rather they are 6'5 or 5'5 we need to get good quality players. Recruiting has to improve period.

So were Beau Davis...........

Take the blinders off? Lol that is rich.
What's rich is anytime there happens to be positive news you are there to take the opposite side. The only exception I have seen is with Tommy Armstrong. I will give credit where credit is due.

You know, it's ok to dream a little... So maybe Grim isn't all that... But he sure looks impressive. And like RRT said, I will trust coach Williams on this one too.

Height has nothing to do with it I agree. Plenty of legit badasses 6'0 and under. Demornay Pierson-El was an absolute beast last season and I am sure when healthy this season will take off where he left off last season. But bottom line, rather they are 6'5 or 5'5 we need to get good quality players. Recruiting has to improve period.

DPE was a beast, and he was a 5.6 3-star recruit with offers from pretty much nobody (North Carolina, Boston College) but some insane film.

Recruiting isn't everything, but it's arguably the most important single thing. I don't see anything to dislike about this commit other than his current offer list which may be connected to his only playing 5 games last year and not doing the camp circuit.

With all due respect I will go with coach Williams on this.
If the staff truly believe he is one of the top recruits at his position fine. I am fine with that. But as I have pointed out, since scouts have been looking at HS players and most importantly the last 20 years, you won't find a team that has won a national championship in power 5 conferences that did recruit top classes leading up to that title. Once in a while you will see a team with average recruiting win a conference title here and there. But they never win the game that everyone wants to be in. And they don't stay competitive long. They always have drop off seasons. no one can truly look at this class as a whole an say without blind loyalty "This is the class that can get us to that next step".

Tell me, am I wrong?

Reactions: nothingkevin
What's rich is anytime there happens to be positive news you are there to take the opposite side. The only exception I have seen is with Tommy Armstrong. I will give credit where credit is due.

You know, it's ok to dream a little... So maybe Grim isn't all that... But he sure looks impressive. And like RRT said, I will trust coach Williams on this one too.

Technically, All I said was Ok. Then acouple kids flew off the deep end. I try to be as realistic as possible and not think every kid that comes here is gonna set the world on fire. Sorry if that offends you. I know a lot of you want to think Nebraska is back and kickin-@$$ but we are not. We have a long ways to go. And I want us to be in a good position for years to come to be competitive at an elite level. I don't accept 9 win seasons. None of us do. If that is the case we would have kept Bo. But in order to be an elite program you need elite players and coaches. And I think Riley is a good coach. We just need the players.

Yeah, okay. Because we've put how many 1st round receivers in the league? Let's keep a realistic perspective. I'm guessing no one on here is a talent scout. There's a reason no other major schools have offered. He might be great, but dang. I get sick of heRing how every recruit is the second coming. If that's the case why is it 15 years and counting. Sorry for being a downer, but just slow the roll a little.

Yawn.

I do not believe so. But him and Jordan Adams had insane stats and never did anything. You know they are bad when you stay with Joe Dailey.
I think it was Jordan Adams who had mono. I'm pretty certain at least one of those two got crazy sick.

Technically, All I said was Ok. Then acouple kids flew off the deep end. I try to be as realistic as possible and not think every kid that comes here is gonna set the world on fire. Sorry if that offends you. I know a lot of you want to think Nebraska is back and kickin-@$$ but we are not. We have a long ways to go. And I want us to be in a good position for years to come to be competitive at an elite level. I don't accept 9 win seasons. None of us do. If that is the case we would have kept Bo. But in order to be an elite program you need elite players and coaches. And I think Riley is a good coach. We just need the players.
Fair enough... I can accept this. It just gets tiring to see all the negativity (not just you... I have seen some positive stuff from you after all... My bad for painting with too broad a brush) when they are recruiting their butts off, at least compared to Bo and Co.

A lot of us are giving these guys the benefit of the doubt... But there are skeptics as well. I know it might not be the most popular approach, but I think there is some excitement around this recruiting staff, and I think it will only get better in the coming years. I could be wrong... But this is what makes me more hopeful across the board.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Let's give it a few years and let some progress occur before we get upset about not having a top 5 class.

Reactions: Crushinator
Thats not saying much. Big 10 west=big 12 north=weak

And Until Nebraska owns the West, they have zero shot at competing for league titles and beyond.

I will make an analogy that relates to your life.

You need to figure out a way to move out of your mom's basement before you think about home ownership.

And Until Nebraska owns the West, they have zero shot at competing for league titles and beyond.

You need to figure out a way to move out of your mom's basement before you think about home ownership.
This made me laugh a little...

Smokin

Hmmm, you've got me thinking... Is there a big 12 north anymore?

When there was you had Nebraska, Colorado and Kansas state all being quite respectable. So I gotta ask...

What are you talking about?!!?
CU and K-State sucked. Yeah...they had a good yr here and there but NEB was the only consistent championship-caliber team

CU and K-State sucked. Yeah...they had a good yr here and there but NEB was the only consistent championship-caliber team
Ok. So CU's national championship doesn't count (I know it shouldn't, 5th down and all, but...) and Kansas state had some damn good years. I think you're just trying to fit this to your story.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
7 years of pathetic recruiting under the clown posse and not a word and now a few are shagging on recruiting. That's hilarious...

How many Receivers has Riley placed in the league? Better yet, How many Receivers have won the Biletnikoff Award under Riley? Hell how many Receivers has Boise State had drafted in the last 5 years?

This kid is leading every statistical category for HS receivers in California high school football. . He only played in 5 games as a junior. He's the type of WR Boise State and Fresno and Mike Riley used to consistently poach.

And lastly, if after 2 games of watching Nebraska's offense you can't get excited about how Mike Riley and Langsdorf are using their skill players, then you should probably go watch another sport.

Which is why I question your fandom. His stats are off the charts! Fourth in the nation! And he plays in California. Take off the blinders…

It's not that you play in California... it's where you play in California.

It's not that you play in California... it's where you play in California.
So true. My stats blew Gerry Gdowski out of the water in high school...he got the scholarship while I got the thanks but no thanks letter from Tom. Maybe Tom wasn't impressed with my work against schools with less than 25 students in their classes.

High school stats really don't mean a lot.

So true. My stats blew Gerry Gdowski out of the water in high school...he got the scholarship while I got the thanks but no thanks letter from Tom. Maybe Tom wasn't impressed with my work against schools with less than 25 students in their classes.

So can someone from California tell us about Stockton? What size school are we talking about? Against what kind of competition? I would imagine it would have to be a smaller school against lesser competition...

It was probably due to you telling him that you averaged 10 wins a year when you only averaged 9. He did the math and figured you were a liar and couldn't trust you, when in reality, you just aren't very good at math.

Honestly, I think you should probably be impressed with every skill player Riley recruits and eventually signs... Nobody else in the Big Ten West is even approaching these athletes.
Exactly. Also the offer lists seem to blow up on these commits after we find them.

You obviously care about stars and offer lists. I can't fault you for that, the kids offer list is not good. You have to take in to account more than just that on some kids.

For example... Ameer Abdulah was not offered by any major schools to play RB. There are kids out there that are under the radar that are just flat out amazing athletes.

If you look at his stats from his junior year, and his stats this year. Well hopefully you get where I'm going with that.

I'm with you on the fact that we aren't pulling in a star studded class as far as national appeal, but I see a ton of potential is every single recruit we have received.

Are they all going to be the next coming... no. They seem like good athletes that are going to fill some major holes.

We have to win in order to get those "Nationally" regarded recruits that you want, and we aren't doing that. If Reilly continues to improve throughout the year, we will see bigger names commit.

You say "Tell me one other school that has the same amount of national titles and prestige that Nebraska has, that are rated like we are in recruiting".

If you are referring to a Michigan - We didn't get a Jim "Harbaugh" as coach.... That name is a selling point to kids. The guy was in two damn Superbowls. We went that route with Callahan and got a Top 5 class(Whoopidy freakin' do). You see where that got us

If you are referring to Penn State - We don't live near New York City or a coast line for that matter... Do I need to say any more.

If you are referring to Notre Dame - They have the biggest name in college football. They are in the upper tier as far as academics go, and have won some football games as of late.

If you are referring to Texas - Guess what? Their recruiting class is worse(Meaning less recruits) than ours, and they grow football players like we do corn.

Nebraska needs to hire a Big Name coach, or win football games to get the kids you want. Reilly isn't that "Big" name, but he could be that coach that wins enough games to get them to come. Let's see where this goes, before you start hating as hard as you are!

***Note: I'm not a grammar major

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT