ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado will be TERRIBLE

Not sure what paper you're reading. Deion had the #21 overall class last year, we were #31. Not to mention they may have 2 Heisman candidates on their roster. We don't have anywhere close to their talent. We don't have anywhere close to TCU's talent. Hell, apparently we don't even have Minnesota level talent.
Oh were only counting one class.

We’re average. On par w/ Wisc and MSU. When we were dominant, we dominated recruiting. ANYONE could coach our team now, and we’d still be average.
Are recruiting ranking has not transferred into winning we all know. One big reason I don't get caught up in rankings.

Reactions: scarletred
Are recruiting ranking has not transferred into winning we all know. One big reason I don't get caught up in rankings.
Name a better metric…?

This is the whole point. Our recruiting over recent years puts us a standard deviations better than what we’ve been…. But it’ll never translate to dominance unless it improves… a lot.

Just looked at the standard list, didn't see any transfers, I'm not sure they count towards class ratings, but they might.

24-7 does. And in today's portal era, transfers are kind of a big deal. Especially when looking at this scenario.

Colorado will be lucky to go to a bowl game this year. But damn, the dude must be doing something right. And what is it? He has surrounded himself with quality assisatnt coaches. Rhule did not. And that will be a huge problem for him going forward.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Colorado will be lucky to go to a bowl game this year. But damn, the dude must be doing something right. And what is it? He has surrounded himself with quality assisatnt coaches. Rhule did not. And that will be a huge problem for him going forward.
gather round kids! It’s uncle Chuck’s whiskey story time again!

cu had to pull in a lot of transfers due to the amount of players that left, doubt if they will be getting huge hauls like they did this year going forward unless a lot of players exit boulder every year.

They won't need to do that going forward. This was almost a 100% roster turnover with one recruiting class. You think because his classes going forward won't have 70 plus guys in them that they won't be highly rated? Or that he's not going to use the transfer portal or...I guess I'm not really following what you're saying.

They won't need to do that going forward. This was almost a 100% roster turnover with one recruiting class. You think because his classes going forward won't have 70 plus guys in them that they won't be highly rated? Or that he's not going to use the transfer portal or...I guess I'm not really following what you're saying.
I'm saying he probably won't have to repeat what he did this year, figuring the players exiting like they did after spring ball won't happen, most will stay around, he will bring in a more typical class of high schoolers and fill the gaps with transfers.

I'm saying he probably won't have to repeat what he did this year, figuring the players exiting like they did after spring ball won't happen, most will stay around, he will bring in a more typical class of high schoolers and fill the gaps with transfers.

Well, clearly he won't be turning over almost the entire roster again. But I wouldn't be surprised if his class is heavy on transfers again and even more highly rated than the last one. Logic would say both will likely be true.

Cally actually brought talent to Lincoln. A lot of it. People hated him because of Solich and the "Nebraska Way" which decades later has finally been tossed in the dumpster. To win you need talented guys and good coaching. I will always wonder what might have been if Callahan stayed and kept the class he was building with a new DC and Suh, etc in 2008.
Instead Pelini looked really good with players Callahan recruited. When that bank of players was gone things went sharply south.
I'm disappointed with Sims right now and all the QBs we lost to the portal.
I'm not a Callahan fan but he did get one thing absolutely right. He ran the 1's against the 2's, 3's and 4's, and didn't do much good on good. By the time the season started, our starters, especially on the offensive side, were very confident. They were practicing against someone they could impose their will on and that establishes that mentality of dominance and confidence that's critical at the college level.

Convincing a D1 HC to come be his OC was an impressive sell, and i guarantee Sean Lewis is a one year rental.

Could be a Chizik/Malzahn situation

Convincing a D1 HC to come be his OC was an impressive sell, and i guarantee Sean Lewis is a one year rental.

Could be a Chizik/Malzahn situation
I agree. I feel like this is being discussed a lot at the moment. Why was this never highlighted as a great hire in the offseason?

ooops

TBF, no one predicted this CU.
Nope. Terrific start for the sanders era at colorado, and he's only going to collect more and more talent while he's there

I still think they're gonna take a beating when they get to conference play. the pac 12 has some pretty darn good football teams with competent quarterbacks who want to play Up tempo.

Rhule will weed out the assistants that aren't performing up to par and he will keep the ones who are. He has proven himself to be a leader, I think he will do the things that need to be done

Rhule will weed out the assistants that aren't performing up to par and he will keep the ones who are. He has proven himself to be a leader, I think he will do the things that need to be done
He hasn't proven that at all, not at Nebraska at least. Coaches seem to get dumber when they get here.

He hasn't proven that at all, not at Nebraska at least. Coaches seem to get dumber when they get here.
Silly post. What’s his post to do, fire coaches, mid season?

Edit… what’s he supposed to do… stupid voice text.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Laner2
I'm not a Callahan fan but he did get one thing absolutely right. He ran the 1's against the 2's, 3's and 4's, and didn't do much good on good. By the time the season started, our starters, especially on the offensive side, were very confident. They were practicing against someone they could impose their will on and that establishes that mentality of dominance and confidence that's critical at the college level.
Can't agree. False confidence at best. He scoffed at Texas Tech and got motor raced, USC's freshman center opened gaping holes on his D. In the back of the player's minds, they knew they did well against the 2s, 3s & 4s, so whatever confidence they had built, quickly fizzled against decent opposition.

Silly post. What’s his post to do, fire coaches, mid season?

Edit… what’s he supposed to do… stupid voice text.

It's been done before so why not? I'm not saying that's what he should do, but it's not like it's a crime against humanity to let someone go mid-season.

It's been done before so why not? I'm not saying that's what he should do, but it's not like it's a crime against humanity to let someone go mid-season.

Before I would agree that this has “been done before” I guess I would need to see examples where a head coach, in his first year at a school, fired coaches, that he brought in, half way or even in the middle of that first season.

That criteria is pretty specific and much different than a 3rd year coach letting a guy go after week 5 or 6.

Reactions: timnsun
Before I would agree that this has “been done before” I guess I would need to see examples where a head coach, in his first year at a school, fired coaches, that he brought in, half way or even in the middle of that first season.

That criteria is pretty specific and much different than a 3rd year coach letting a guy go after week 5 or 6.

Not to pick nits, but…

That’s not the only sign of a coach being a good leader. If coaches need to move on, he will move them on when the time is right. 6 games into his tenure at Nebraska wouldn’t show good leadership. It would be saying, “oops.” No one is gonna say that in their first year.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
That’s not the only sign of a coach being a good leader. If coaches need to move on, he will move them on when the time is right. 6 games into his tenure at Nebraska wouldn’t show good leadership. It would be saying, “oops.” No one is gonna say that in their first year.
Sounds like sunk cost fallacy to me...

yeah you've added a bunch of qualifiers here....I mean, if it's not working it's not working. If callahan had let cosgrove go during the first season he might still be coaching here. Sometimes these things are only obvious in hindsight but that doesn't mean it would have been wrong to do it. no one should be bigger than the program.

yeah you've added a bunch of qualifiers here....I mean, if it's not working it's not working. If callahan had let cosgrove go during the first season he might still be coaching here. Sometimes these things are only obvious in hindsight but that doesn't mean it would have been wrong to do it. no one should be bigger than the program.
I think the only way forward is for every coach to be fired after every loss. WTF, are we going to tolerate losing around here or not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT