ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches meeting Maurice Washinton today?

Bert Lantcaster

Walk On
Mar 27, 2019
I believe I read in Frosts presser that the coaches were meeting up with him today.

Does the team want him back after he turned his back on them?

meeting up with him right after signing day.. seems they will try to use some leverage on him to give him another chance, but if he does stay through spring ball, it's unlikely he will make his position on the depth chart back based on past work ethic.

Reactions: peacehawk
If Frost is meeting with him, it certainly sounds like he has a shot to stay with the team if he meets whatever requirements the university and coaches have for him. I'm sure some of it depends on how his court case goes, but I doubt that is the full story.

Personally I hope everything works out and he is back. If not, that is unfortunate as I think he would do a lot better with structure in his life.

I'd love to see what he is really capable of on the field.

meeting up with him right after signing day.. seems they will try to use some leverage on him to give him another chance, but if he does stay through spring ball, it's unlikely he will make his position on the depth chart back based on past work ethic.
I wonder if this meeting isn’t just pro forma.

I wonder if this meeting isn’t just pro forma.
could be that too.. but not sure I would even bother with a meeting. They prob want to know what they are doing with that scholarship either way and with 2 signed guys, they do have some leverage if they want to use it.

Reactions: Merlin_
He is a dynamic athlete. But I am fine either way if he is back or not. Unless he can get stronger and be able to absorb some hits in the Big 10 I consider him more of a situational player.

The way our running back room is shaping up and having Wandale that can play multiple positions. Imo we have other players to trust more with the ball.

He is a dynamic athlete. But I am fine either way if he is back or not. Unless he can get stronger and be able to absorb some hits in the Big 10 I consider him more of a situational player.

The way our running back room is shaping up and having Wandale that can play multiple positions. Imo we have other players to trust more with the ball.

Exactly. He does have that insane TMart acceleration though (or at least pretty damn close).......I hope somehow he fully understands this is his "last" chance.

His lawyer couldn’t even get a hold of him to appear remotely for the last court date.

he has now been ordered by the judge to appear in person as the date had to be delayed because he wasn’t available.

I believe I read in Frosts presser that the coaches were meeting up with him today.

Does the team want him back after he turned his back on them?
Yes, they're meeting today but I wouldn't hold my breath regarding the outcome. Sadly, Washington has become a toxic influence and it does not seem like he could change any more. Regardless of talent, best IMO if he departs Lincoln.

Exactly. He does have that insane TMart acceleration though (or at least pretty damn close).......I hope somehow he fully understands this is his "last" chance.
It really is. He'll end up in a cell otherwise.

We all know he is extremely talented and would be throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime that most of us could only dream about. Unfortunately, we continue to see athletes (and others) on a daily basis throw it all away as they don't know what they have. And they are too short-sighted to see what happens if they don't take advantage of the opportunities given them.

Reactions: HominidHusker
His lawyer couldn’t even get a hold of him to appear remotely for the last court date.

he has now been ordered by the judge to appear in person as the date had to be delayed because he wasn’t available.
This doesn't sound like a kid who has changed. This type of person doesn't just change who they are in a matter of a month or 2.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Unfortunately Washington didn't look any better than he did his first year. Now we know why. Tidbits coming out about lack of effort in the weight room etc. Then add on the off the field stuff in California and here.

With that said, my guess is that this is a formality. If he shows up to meet with the coaches that is step 1. Also just my guess, but I think the mountain of expectations the coaches lay in front of him will be daunting and the only way he can climb it will be complete dedication and buy in. He'll have to climb that mountain with ZERO room for error. No safety nets or ropes. He's got one way and that's up to the top. He slips, he falls and it's over. There can be rest stops on the way, but only one trail to the top.

Just my theory. You can't lose the team over one player. Coach Frost is trying to help the kids. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

In regards to ability, I honestly don’t feel that Maurice could ever be a complete back. I think he is a special weapon, but just a unique body type at the running back spot. He will never be a between the tackles guy. Don’t get me wrong, he is a special talent, but you’ve got to have a back that you can count on in a 3rd and 2 situation. That is strictly football talk there. From a character standpoint, I have my doubts. I don’t feel he was remorseful in the least in the wake of serious allegations. There was some inappropriate, immature stuff that happened after these allegations that force me to believe that Maurice just doesn’t get it. I’m rooting for the kid. I just have serious doubts.

If he was coming back why do they have to hold a meeting to tell him he is coming back. Makes more sense to me that they would hold a meeting to let him know he was dismissed.
you think they waited to see if they got their rb recruits signed first, then move toward dismissal? I hadn't thought of it like that, but could be.

If he was coming back why do they have to hold a meeting to tell him he is coming back. Makes more sense to me that they would hold a meeting to let him know he was dismissed.

Well, I would think they just want to lay the law out to him so he knows damn well he's on really thin ice......starting "now". We'll see.....

Reactions: WHCSC
Maybe, maybe not. If there hasn't been much communication, they would need to meet to discuss a number of things, including expectations, etc., if he does return.

how do you know they haven’t been communicating?
I don't. I said if there hasn't been. My assumption is that they haven't been, as he went AWOL and his own lawyer couldn't even get ahold of him. I guess we will find out soon.

I know Scott really wants Mo to get his life together and I am all for giving kids second and third chances, but I just don't know if it is worth it for Nebraska, at this point. It isn’t just his legal problems, he also quit on his team in the middle of the season. This seems like a situation where this just isn’t a healthy relationship for Nebraska’s side. Mo could do considerable damage again and I’m not sure he makes the team better. Did he really demand to be moved to CB? I don't see how he helps us as a CB. It might just be time for everyone to have a fresh start.

Reactions: Merlin_
It really is on Mo to come back. The staff will give him every chance to get it together because we saw what the guy can do on the field. He is almost unstoppable 1v1 in the open field so I don't know why he would move to CB.

I know Scott really wants Mo to get his life together and I am all for giving kids second and third chances, but I just don't know if it is worth it for Nebraska, at this point. It isn’t just his legal problems, he also quit on his team in the middle of the season. This seems like a situation where this just isn’t a healthy relationship for Nebraska’s side. Mo could do considerable damage again and I’m not sure he makes the team better. Did he really demand to be moved to CB? I don't see how he helps us as a CB. It might just be time for everyone to have a fresh start.

Yep. Him quitting on his team I think is the biggest infraction outside of the legal stuff. It's hard to get that trust back when you become the diva he was and then just bounce. I know he may have mental issues and other things, but this will be a tough sell to the team.

Reactions: headcard
It really is on Mo to come back. The staff will give him every chance to get it together because we saw what the guy can do on the field. He is almost unstoppable 1v1 in the open field so I don't know why he would move to CB.

Less contact at CB

Mo is an athlete not a football player. Too much contact involved with playing RB

They meet with all players after the season guys...the fact he is actually meeting with MO could be positive or negative to be honest. He is still in school and taking finals at the very least..so he hasnt given up. Whether Frost is done remains to be seen.

we need a junior college in Nebraska, like a farm team, where we can send ricky williams pot smokers, washington sexual degenerates, and guys who just have grade problems...and they can get it out of their system there...then when they get it together...they can be pluged into Lincoln seamlessly. have it in the panhandle where there's not a lot of places to get in trouble

I just watched the press conference from yesterday, and when MW was brought up, Scott had a more serious tone about it. Reading his non verbal cues, I tend to think he's prob gone.

He also seemed really excited about some of the incoming players and how Sevion was a complete back and could do everything and would make it easier on a play caller, and I actually liked a lot of what I heard from him. It was as if he was listening to some of the stuff us fans complained about.

Doesn't want to play RB, doesn't like to run up the middle, doesn't like contact. Wants to switch to DB. Disrupts classes. Doesn't eat at the training table. Comes to meetings late, often smelling of pot. Thinks the weight room is optional. Has a felony charge hanging over his head. Isn't disciplined to the same standards as everyone else until it is too late.

Has something changed drastically in a short time? Maybe he has went to all his teammates and apologized profusely and rededicated himself to football?

Last edited:
I have zero opinion on this. Why? Because:
1. I do not know Maurice Washington personally. Therefore, I can make no judgements about his “character”. I have zero knowledge about his character.
2. I know nothing beyond newspaper articles about the sex video thing. Which is to say, I know nothing of value in this matter. I have zero knowledge about this beyond the obvious.
3. I have zero knowledge about what his infractions against the team were last year.
4. I have zero knowledge about what his relationship with the team is like.
5. I have zero knowledge about his relationship with Frost.

If he comes back it means Frost made a call rooted in knowledge I do not have.
If he does not come back it means Frost made a call rooted in knowledge I do not have.

Unfortunately, over the years I have had to have these difficult conversations with players, parents, teachers and employees. I don't know what Frost and company are doing but I would have them (meeting) to document every step we have taken to "make this work" and put all the balls in their court. I have found when you work with people over a period of time they look at it like a single incident that happens here and there and once you list it all out, what they did, what you did to help, expectations and current results, you boil it all down pretty well and it narrows the decision making. It always makes it easier when you lay on the "these are now the expectations" with no fudge factor based on "what we have done to help you already" kind of thing. At least that is my experience, these are always difficult and non of us has a clue what has really gone on. His ability should have zero to do with the decision though, that would be my stance. His status as a human in need of help trumps it all.

Last edited:
Possibly to lay out what is expected. It may be a conditional return to the team.

you think they waited to see if they got their rb recruits signed first, then move toward dismissal? I hadn't thought of it like that, but could be.

Friday is last day of finals, so Mo is probably done with classes for the semester and is meeting with Frost before going home for break (or for good).

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Out of curiosity, I wonder if Mo is still on scholarship through the end of this semester. I assume the answer is yes but that if he is not allowed to return to the team then he comes off of scholarship for the second semester. Is that correct?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT