ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson signs six 5*

Shermski77

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2009
Denver, CO
Just insane all around, any one of them would be the crown jewel of our class. At what point does a lopsided class like that arouse suspicion of improper benefits? Maybe I'm just jealous.

Damn. 8/33 5* guys went to UGA. Essentially 25% of the highest rated tier signs with one team. Nick taught Kirby a little too much. Going to see UGA and Clemson in the CFP for years to come.

Look at their entire class. Without counting their kicker, they have two 3 star commits, both rated at 5.7. The rest are 4 and 5 stars. Our class has six kids rated at 5.7, they hold the 10-15 spots in 'highest rated'.

Georgia pulled Tommy Bush out of a hat on signing day, he is tied for their 18th highest ranked recruit (5.8 rating). Bush would have been tied with our second highest rated recruit.

Their class is ridiculous.

Damn. 8/33 5* guys went to UGA. Essentially 25% of the highest rated tier signs with one team. Nick taught Kirby a little too much. Going to see UGA and Clemson in the CFP for years to come.
What college football needs is for the regional rivals of these teams to step up their recruiting game. Otherwise, the talent disparity is really tough for the rest to compete with. Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia Tech and Tennessee need to step up their recruiting game to keep Clemson, Georgia (and Alabama) from breaking away from the rest. Seems strange to say but a stronger Texas also helps in this regard.

Ohio State is a similar concern for the Big 10. Michigan and Notre Dame check Ohio State to a degree. Penn State is doing outstanding, but a stronger Pitt and revitalized Maryland would help with that.

My theory is that concentration of top level talent is greater now that it has ever been. Don't have the research to prove it, but for those Husker fans who want to see us get top 5 rated recruiting classes, a big part of the answer is to see Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, Bama less dominant in the recruiting game. That's the first step.

What college football needs is for the regional rivals of these teams to step up their recruiting game. Otherwise, the talent disparity is really tough for the rest to compete with. Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia Tech and Tennessee need to step up their recruiting game to keep Clemson, Georgia (and Alabama) from breaking away from the rest. Seems strange to say but a stronger Texas also helps in this regard.

Ohio State is a similar concern for the Big 10. Michigan and Notre Dame check Ohio State to a degree. Penn State is doing outstanding, but a stronger Pitt and revitalized Maryland would help with that.

My theory is that concentration of top level talent is greater now that it has ever been. Don't have the research to prove it, but for those Husker fans who want to see us get top 5 rated recruiting classes, a big part of the answer is to see Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, Bama less dominant in the recruiting game. That's the first step.
great insight- well done
As much as most of us NU fans dont like it- and their are outliers- Wisconsin/UCF, at the end of the day the numbers say over time- recruiting matters

Reactions: Dean Pope
These kids want to win and play for winners. I don't think it is enough to make the top four every once in a while, you have to be consistently at the top. These kids see the same teams in the mix every year and that is where they want to go. Who wouldn't?

The truth is the top teams will remain the top teams as long as the current staffs are in place. The mess at PSU didn't slow them down for long. We got hurt worse by poor personnel decisions than most schools do with major internal problems.

Maybe the NCAA will step in and say each school can only sign X number of 5* and 4* recruits to spread out the good players. And yes I am being sardonic with that last line.

Last edited:
Reactions: davecisar and WHCSC
I would venture to guess that several of those 5* will play one year and be gone, and probably none will play more than 2 - other than the ones who don't turn out to be really any better than most of the 3s and 4s rated. So, its a short-term boost, but probably not a years' long boost unless they repeat the result every year. (and like most, I suspect those staffs WILL continue to show those results until there is significant turnover in the staffs)

I would venture to guess that several of those 5* will play one year and be gone, and probably none will play more than 2 - other than the ones who don't turn out to be really any better than most of the 3s and 4s rated. So, its a short-term boost, but probably not a years' long boost unless they repeat the result every year. (and like most, I suspect those staffs WILL continue to show those results until there is significant turnover in the staffs)

Where would they go after 1 or 2 years?

Look at their entire class. Without counting their kicker, they have two 3 star commits, both rated at 5.7. The rest are 4 and 5 stars. Our class has six kids rated at 5.7, they hold the 10-15 spots in 'highest rated'.

Georgia pulled Tommy Bush out of a hat on signing day, he is tied for their 18th highest ranked recruit (5.8 rating). Bush would have been tied with our second highest rated recruit.

Their class is ridiculous.

I recruited a class like that on my Xbox once.

There are 33 5 stars in the class of 2018. 25 of them went to 5 teams. Georgia(8), OSU(3), USC(5), Alabama(3) and Clemson(6).
What's a little scary is the linemen that OSU signed. The good news is that they can't play them all all the time. It still will boil down for all these teams is do they have the right QB unless your O line is good enough that he can just stand there and hand the ball off.

I would bet heavily the SEC and ACC Bagmen are involved.

Stock answer with no substance. So I expect to hear the same response if/when Nebraska signs a 5* or two. It will have to be the bagmen. But wait, do bagmen only go all in for 5* or do they stoop for a 4*?

Stock answer with no substance. So I expect to hear the same response if/when Nebraska signs a 5* or two. It will have to be the bagmen. But wait, do bagmen only go all in for 5* or do they stoop for a 4*?

Yes they do, but not as much as for a 5*. USC is paying their players guaranted too.

Actually, no. I wouldn't even start a new season unless there were 20+ 5*s in the recruiting pool. I think my all-time record was 22 5*s in one class. It was a sickness.

As much as I love NCAA Football (and wish they could/would bring it back), the recruiting and the option were too easy.

Someone keep track of how many Georgia players transfer in the next 2 years.

I think a lot of kids from the Midwest tend to be underrated while kids from the south are a lot of times overrated. Teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State have recruiting rankings average in the 30's and they are about even with teams from the SEC that average top 10 classes.

A surprising number of 5 stars have film that's not all that impressive and have already maxed out their potential. A lot of 4 star players and even 3 stars have more talent and potential than many of the 5 stars. Qb's especially that are 5 stars tend to be highly overrated. They usually end up being decent players, but the heisman caliber qb's are almost always 3 or 4 star recruits.

Just insane all around, any one of them would be the crown jewel of our class. At what point does a lopsided class like that arouse suspicion of improper benefits? Maybe I'm just jealous.

I would bet heavily the SEC and ACC Bagmen are involved.
Our talented team of FBI experts are probably all over this, like they were college basketball, while Washington D.C. basks in corruption

The formula for success here at Nebraska is pretty simple. If we get top 15 classes every year, get talented 4 stars, get the 3 stars we want, and sprinkle in one or two 5 stars a year, we're going to have the talent we need to compete with any team in the country. Combine that with great coaching and we can be every bit as good as Alabama, Georgia, or Clemson.

Reactions: meo1960
I think a lot of kids from the Midwest tend to be underrated while kids from the south are a lot of times overrated. Teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State have recruiting rankings average in the 30's and they are about even with teams from the SEC that average top 10 classes.

A surprising number of 5 stars have film that's not all that impressive and have already maxed out their potential. A lot of 4 star players and even 3 stars have more talent and potential than many of the 5 stars. Qb's especially that are 5 stars tend to be highly overrated. They usually end up being decent players, but the heisman caliber qb's are almost always 3 or 4 star recruits.

We saw some of that with Harrison Beck
Agree partly- yes seems like there is a bias in the South.

But they do have higher football participation rates, spring football and better developed athletes (as a whole). Football as a class, year round training and access to the outdoors- higher African American population- all are factors. The south is a more target rich environment. Those kids seem to go to more camps too.

The Pelini staff talked about how mature some of the kids they got out of Texas were- not much of a higher ceiling etc.

Cant argue against your MSU and Wisconsin argument- they arent on par with the very top SEC teams, but they can hit the top 10 from time to time. There may be "value" lower star picks in the Midwest if what you are saying is true- it may be.

There are 33 5 stars in the class of 2018. 25 of them went to 5 teams. Georgia(8), OSU(3), USC(5), Alabama(3) and Clemson(6).
12 of the 5* were from the states those teams are in. Florida teams were bad at keeping in state 5* with florida having 9 5* players and Florida schools only getting 2. Both to Miami.

Reactions: kaz36
Georgia's class is insane but look how many are from GA. If NE had that kind of local preps we'd be killing it too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT