ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly...Where does he end up?

JohnRossEwing

Assistant Head Coach
Jul 4, 2013
I think he MIGHT take this year off but end up back in college. I wonder if LSU would love a do-over if they knew they could have got him.

I think LSU, Texas and Oregon would all do a do over if they knew Chip Kelly was going to be available. My wild guess is, he will be the head coach at UCLA this time next year.

Reactions: Redwalla
I think LSU, Texas and Oregon would all do a do over if they knew Chip Kelly was going to be available. My wild guess is, he will be the head coach at UCLA this time next year.
Ohhh I did not even think about UCLA, good call!

Where does Chip rank in CFB right now? Top 15?

He'll go be the radio announcer for Oregon and give away game plans to opponents to expedite the firing of Taggart.

Eichorst may have 2nd thoughts if things don't pan out like Nebraska is expecting..

Beating Wisconsin and Iowa is a must next season if we want to move forward.

So, if a top 10 coach just became available and the program you run doesn't have a top 9 coach...do you check into it a bit?

Reactions: jeans15
When is his NCAA penalty over? (What a joke of a penalty. NCAA "punishes" him after he leaves for the NFL.)

Edit: found the answer.
Chip Kelly - A former head coach at Oregon who is currently the head coach for the NFL's San Francisco 49ers. The penalties included three lost scholarships, probation for three years, and an 18-month show-cause against former HC Chip Kelly. The NCAA also reduced Oregon's official paid visits from 56 to 37 for the next three academic years, reduced its evaluation days for each of the next three seasons and banned the program from using recruiting services during the probation period. The NCAA had been looking into Oregon's recruiting practices since questions arose over a 2010 payment of $25,000 to Willie Lyles and his Houston-based recruiting service, Complete Scouting Services. The infractions committee found that Lyles provided cash and free lodging to Lache Seastrunk, a running back who eventually signed with Baylor, and engaged in impermissible calls and off-campus contact with prospects, their families and high school coaches. It also said the football program allowed staff members to engage in recruiting activity, exceeding coaching limits. At the time the sanctions were announced, Kelly had already left Oregon to become head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. He remained in that position until being fired at the end of the 2015 season. Kelly's show-cause expired on December 26, 2014.

Last edited:
When is his NCAA penalty over? (What a joke of a penalty. NCAA "punishes" him after he leaves for the NFL.)

Edit: found the answer.
Chip Kelly - A former head coach at Oregon who is currently the head coach for the NFL's San Francisco 49ers. The penalties included three lost scholarships, probation for three years, and an 18-month show-cause against former HC Chip Kelly. The NCAA also reduced Oregon's official paid visits from 56 to 37 for the next three academic years, reduced its evaluation days for each of the next three seasons and banned the program from using recruiting services during the probation period. The NCAA had been looking into Oregon's recruiting practices since questions arose over a 2010 payment of $25,000 to Willie Lyles and his Houston-based recruiting service, Complete Scouting Services. The infractions committee found that Lyles provided cash and free lodging to Lache Seastrunk, a running back who eventually signed with Baylor, and engaged in impermissible calls and off-campus contact with prospects, their families and high school coaches. It also said the football program allowed staff members to engage in recruiting activity, exceeding coaching limits. At the time the sanctions were announced, Kelly had already left Oregon to become head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. He remained in that position until being fired at the end of the 2015 season. Kelly's show-cause expired on December 26, 2014.
What's interesting is that Kelly's transgressions IMO effectively cost Helfrich his job due to the issues it caused with their recruiting and roster. Well that and the Brady Hoke I guess.

if they really can get PJ, they should. they aint getting Chip.

PJ...maybe but I really think he feels like WMU can be a special place.

Kelly, I think, can pick his spot. Since we love coaches from the Pacific NW...I say we offer him!

PJ...maybe but I really think he feels like WMU can be a special place.

Heard the same thing about Chris Petersen at Boise. Money and resources have the ability to make places much more special. WMU will always be no better than the third biggest draw in that state. He understands that it is merely a matter of finding the right next opportunity.

Almost any job he wants. Almost.

We would be complete assholes if we didn't at least kick the tires on chip. By kick the tires, I mean offer him a boatload of cash. I don't care if we lose some of these current commits. The long term effects of a great coach will be worth it.

Almost any job he wants. Almost.

We would be complete assholes if we didn't at least kick the tires on chip. By kick the tires, I mean offer him a boatload of cash. I don't care if we lose some of these current commits. The long term effects of a great coach will be worth it.
Amen

Chip Kelly would be a huge get for Nebraska. Seems like everyone thinks he will take a year off and the go back to college for 2018. SE does not have the balls to pull the trigger (or the checkbook). Baylor seems like the easiest get (they need a coach and can find enough quarters in the luxury couches at the new stadium). ND or another team might jump in to bid. We won't.
If Kelly does sit the year and Riley craps the bed next season.........maybe we develop the balls....but I see that as a HUGE longshot. Cripes we had Peterson all set to go for cheap (T.O. brokered it) and the Regents canned it. They don't care about winning. They care about revenue and expenses.

Chip doesn't want the Nebraska job. Not doing anyone any favors to hang a 10 million dollar a year pork chop around our neck to get him to play with us.

Reactions: jehresm
I think Chip would prefer Pac12 or Texas school - go back to his stomping grounds or a place loaded with talent. If Jimbo leaves FSU for some reason - Chip would be all over that opening (so make it Pac12, big Texas school or Florida/FSU).

PJ Fleck would be a great hire for Nebraska. He seems like a coach that the local media and fans would enjoy and we know Eichorst loves those leadership clichés #rowtheboat #energybus

Wait Peterson was in?!
No. That's about as believable as county scholarships.

Think about it, TO's last year was 2012, he was very loyal to Bo and Bo had just played in Conference Championship Games three of the last four years. No way was he getting rid of him at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
Chip Kelly has 69 million reasons to wait for what he wants coming his way. Thanks to jerkoff Jed.

Reactions: jteten
All moot since HCMR will get at least four full years to show what he can do here...

GBR

he hates recruiting

he will sit out a year and then take a gig in a hotbed for recruits or where the program sells itself

UCLA or Notre Dame immediately come to mind given the above and who may be looking for a head coach next year

I think he MIGHT take this year off but end up back in college. I wonder if LSU would love a do-over if they knew they could have got him.

Chipper is overrated. He had a gimmick offense and NFL teams caught up real fast. Colleges are all running some hurry up offenses and they are catching up too. I don't think he will be effective a coach from here on. His offense was terrible in Philly. All he brought to the table was go fast and faster. He could not adjust. He did not get along with the high profile players.

Chipper is overrated. He had a gimmick offense and NFL teams caught up real fast. Colleges are all running some hurry up offenses and they are catching up too. I don't think he will be effective a coach from here on. His offense was terrible in Philly. All he brought to the table was go fast and faster. He could not adjust. He did not get along with the high profile players.
Take everything you just said about the NFL, and throw it out. It has no bearing on coaching success on the college level. I don't like the guy, but he will land a great college gig, and succeed. Whenever he wants it.

Spurrier and Saban and Petrino and probably a bunch of other guys all pretty much sucked in the NFL and all continued to be successful college coaches after they failed in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT