ADVERTISEMENT

Chiefs fans vote down stadium tax that would have helped build a new stadium.

Both Royals and Chiefs part of the tax? Are they going to move or was it just a show?

I know the Royals owner, who is worth a fraction of the Hunt family, offered up 1bil of his own money. Hunt family only offered up 300mil. (Credit to Carton show for that, which I watched this morn)

....as far as will they actually move? I find it hard to believe they would but who knows....you just know other cities are on the phone with the C-U-N-T-S....I mean Hunts, making their pitch.

..if they couldn't get this passed after their SB's and MyHomey in his prime, it's never going to pass.

Just renovate what is already there, or move it to the Kansas side. The failure was trying to cram it in downtown.

The tax was a percenrage of a penny...and it was voted down. I don't think it was about location. I think it was about something else....and I hope others follow this. Give citizens a chance to vote on it, and if they vote yes then move forward...just give the tax payers a chance to have their voices heard. I don't think its to much to ask.

I have followed this pretty closely, albeit from afar as I do not live anywhere near Kansas City. My belief is that this was a Royals driven move. The new owner wants to max his investment and a new stadium and entertainment deal worth $2B was his plan to do that. Royals could never get that done on their own so they got the Chiefs involved to make it more popular. Chiefs went in because who wouldn’t want public money if they’re just going to give it away and because if the Royals move out of the Truman Sports Complex the 50 year funding model would have to change and the Chiefs wanted to be sure to lock in some future improvements now while the checkbook was open.

The County Commission approved putting the measure in the ballot but the County Exec (former Royal Frank White) then vetoed it due to a lack of transparency and detail. A couple of Commissioners then switched their previous no vote and over road the veto putting it in the ballot. But transparency and detail were never there. The site of the new stadium was only announced in the last month or so. It was, as is Royals tradition, completely mismanaged. It was a “trust us and pay us” kind of thing and the tax payers said no.

And I applaud them for it. John Sherman can build his own stadium and Clark Hunt can renovate the locker room on his own dime.

The ‘No’ vote had nothing to do with the Chiefs and everything to do with the Royals wanting a stadium downtown. The Chiefs were on board because they want the space currently occupied by Kauffman Stadium (adjacent to Arrowhead). The Royals simply did a poor job of selling the plan.

I suspect the teams will tidy up their plans, throw in a little more of their own money, and try again next year. Or this Fall - during football season.

Counties neighboring Jackson County, MO that are part of the metro area would give these teams whatever they wanted to get them to relocate there, so there is very little risk of the teams moving out of KC.

One interesting note I heard yesterday that was a criticism of the Royals approach was their failure to point out that every Major League Baseball player pays 1% of his salary for the games he plays in Kansas City in a tax to the city of KC. I’m sure that totals several million dollars in lost revenue for the city if the Royals move to Johnson County.

All you do is crow about the team then when it’s your chance to do something you turn your backs

Typical freeloading scumbag chiefs fans

Hilarious thread, OP. A real stretch!

• Love
Reactions: ATX Husker
Just renovate what is already there, or move it to the Kansas side. The failure was trying to cram it into downtown KCMO.
They want a new dome stadium because the NFL said they could host a Super Bowl with one

The ‘No’ vote had nothing to do with the Chiefs and everything to do with the Royals wanting a stadium downtown. The Chiefs were on board because they want the space currently occupied by Kauffman Stadium (adjacent to Arrowhead). The Royals simply did a poor job of selling the plan.

I suspect the teams will tidy up their plans, throw in a little more of their own money, and try again next year. Or this Fall - during football season.

Counties neighboring Jackson County, MO that are part of the metro area would give these teams whatever they wanted to get them to relocate there, so there is very little risk of the teams moving out of KC.

One interesting note I heard yesterday that was a criticism of the Royals approach was their failure to point out that every Major League Baseball player pays 1% of his salary for the games he plays in Kansas City in a tax to the city of KC. I’m sure that totals several million dollars in lost revenue for the city if the Royals move to Johnson County.
Can you expand more on that last paragraph? You are saying KC has a city income tax?

Reactions: Husker4real
Can you expand more on that last paragraph? You are saying KC has a city income tax?
Yes - there is a 1% City income tax. If you work or live in KC, you pay the 1%. Not everyone knows that professional athletes and entertainers that play or perform in KC have to pay 1% for any income earned while playing/performing here.

Yes - there is a 1% City income tax. If you work or live in KC, you pay the 1%. Not everyone knows that professional athletes and entertainers that play or perform in KC have to pay 1% for any income earned while playing/performing here.
Crazy. I've never heard of such a thing. Is it a separate income tax form or is it just added to a state form?

Hunt spends his money on the players and the executives who run the team, not a bad business plan. The Hunts don't spend money on facilities. In fact, the Chiefs were voted by the players as having the worst locker room in the league. If my memory is correct he also was voted the least likable owner by the players. I am a huge Chiefs fan and it pains me that the owner of my team is this way.

Crazy. I've never heard of such a thing. Is it a separate income tax form or is it just added to a state form?
I’ve heard it referred to as a “Jock Tax” - even though everyone who lives or works in KC pays it. I have no idea about the paperwork for an athlete. I know they have to file a Missouri state return (along with returns in every other state where they play that has a state income tax).

Sidenote – when I file my Missouri tax return, one of the questions is: “are you a professional athlete or entertainer that performed in the state of Missouri?”

Reactions: Huskers123456
Proud of those citizens who said FU to the Hunt family on this issue.

The owner and the league have more money than Gawd, stop asking middle class families to pay for your new toys.
How much additional revenue has the Hunt family garnered from three Super Bowl wins? These cheap bastards need to step up. There is a reason his team gave him the lowest rating among NFL owners for being stingy. So unnecessary.

I know the Royals owner, who is worth a fraction of the Hunt family, offered up 1bil of his own money. Hunt family only offered up 300mil. (Credit to Carton show for that, which I watched this morn)

....as far as will they actually move? I find it hard to believe they would but who knows....you just know other cities are on the phone with the C-U-N-T-S....I mean Hunts, making their pitch.

..if they couldn't get this passed after their SB's and MyHomey in his prime, it's never going to pass.
They would threaten to move it to a tony suburb on the Kansas side. F that. The team belongs in Missouri.

All you do is crow about the team then when it’s your chance to do something you turn your backs

Typical freeloading scumbag chiefs fans

Hilarious thread, OP. A real stretch!

As of this typing 14 people agree with me it was a good thing they voted no on this issue...and that doesn't inc the acrual citizens of K.C. who also voted with their ballot. If it's OK with you we'll go ahead and have our own opinions on things, and if it isn't OK with you we'll go ahead and have our own opinion on things.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
I think that is true for any city or state that has an income tax. I am betting when the Mariners (WA has no state income tax) play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium they must pay NYC and New York state income taxes. Just looked it up. New York state income tax is 4% to 10.9% with NYC income tax an additional 3.078% to 3.876%.

As of this typing 14 people agree with me it was a good thing they voted no on this issue...and that doesn't inc the acrual citizens of K.C. who also voted with their ballot. If it's OK with you we'll go ahead and have our own opinions on things, and if it isn't OK with you we'll go ahead and have our own opinion on things.
14 people?

WOW

real feather in your cap for the next time one of your players or staffers or fans kills/paralyzes someone

congrats on not just being scumbags, but penny pinchers as well

more coin to spend on decorative headdresses!

Reactions: InMotion
For crying out loud, there is no room downtown and the infrastructure would not support it.
Fix what you've got or move across the state line to KS.

8lfoib.jpg

They want a new dome stadium because the NFL said they could host a Super Bowl with one
Do you have a link to that proposal for the dome?

From what I've seen they want a Arrowhead renovation. Which was extensive.

And a new baseball stadium in down town KC.

For crying out loud, there is no room downtown and the infrastructure would not support it.
Fix what you've got or move across the state line to KS.
There is room. Unless you're interested in saving these run down warehouses.

PzUuPSP.jpeg

Do you have a link to that proposal for the dome?

From what I've seen they want a Arrowhead renovation. Which was extensive.

And a new baseball stadium in down town KC.
I honestly didn’t know the two were connected. I am a royals fan but not a chiefs. And I got this info from a big chefs fan that said if they had a dome they could host a Super Bowl.

I honestly didn’t know the two were connected. I am a royals fan but not a chiefs. And I got this info from a big chefs fan that said if they had a dome they could host a Super Bowl.
It’s pretty well established that the NFL rewards teams who build new stadiums with Super Bowls

Not wanting to allocate tax dollars to billionaire owners for a new stadium is a reasonable opinion. The reality is that all but a few stadiums and arenas used by professional sports franchises are NOT owned by the teams (I can only think of Jerry World, but I imagine there are a few others). Nearly all have significant support from community tax dollars.

The risk is that there are citizens in several other cities that will happily agree to a fractional tax and take your team. Nashville and Salt Lake City are the two I hear mentioned most often regarding the Royals. Since the Royals owner is from Kansas City, I believe he would exhaust every avenue to stay before moving the team. In fact, Clay County (adjacent to Jackson County) already had a generous plan on the table for the Royals - but the team's preference is to stay in Jackson County.

I guess my point is that you are not really spiting billionaire owners by denying their requests for tax dollars to fund their stadiums - they'll be able to find another jurisdiction willing to pay the toll. Instead, you are spiting your own community that runs the risk of losing these franchises.

Reactions: king_kong_
It’s pretty well established that the NFL rewards teams who build new stadiums with Super Bowls
There was a plan 10-15 years ago to put a rolling roof between Kauffman and Arrowhead stadium - in the hopes of getting a Super Bowl and Final 4. The plan failed, but not by much. The original designs for the two stadiums also included a rolling roof, but was scrapped (I believe due to the expense).

Not wanting to allocate tax dollars to billionaire owners for a new stadium is a reasonable opinion. The reality is that all but a few stadiums and arenas used by professional sports franchises are NOT owned by the teams (I can only think of Jerry World, but I imagine there are a few others). Nearly all have significant support from community tax dollars.

The risk is that there are citizens in several other cities that will happily agree to a fractional tax and take your team. Nashville and Salt Lake City are the two I hear mentioned most often regarding the Royals. Since the Royals owner is from Kansas City, I believe he would exhaust every avenue to stay before moving the team. In fact, Clay County (adjacent to Jackson County) already had a generous plan on the table for the Royals - but the team's preference is to stay in Jackson County.

I guess my point is that you are not really spiting billionaire owners by denying their requests for tax dollars to fund their stadiums - they'll be able to find another jurisdiction willing to pay the toll. Instead, you are spiting your own community that runs the risk of losing these franchises.
Therein lies the problem. Jackson County taxpayers were recently hit with unprecedented property tax hikes, and as a whole, does not represent the more affluent sections of the KC metro. They will need to find a way to pull in the broader metro tax base (which is unlikely due to state line issues) or will just move the stadium(s) elsewhere. The politicians should have seen this coming a mile away. It's going to get messy now.

Or just hold out hope that the team owners will foot the bill themselves.

Now that's how you disagree with somebody and do it without being an ass....and I agree with everything you typed...but i'm still glad they voted no.

It's like a lot of things...when you don't have something you want, you're willing to pay more than normal to get it, versus the guy who already has it and doesn't want his price to go up to keep it. Both reasonable opinions...IMO.

...and if they move one or both teams, at least the people will have had their vote counted and they can live with the outcome.

Now that's how you disagree with somebody and do it without being an ass....and I agree with everything you typed...but i'm still glad they voted no.

It's like a lot of things...when you don't have something you want, you're willing to pay more than normal to get it, versus the guy who already has it and doesn't want his price to go up to keep it. Both reasonable opinions...IMO.

...and if they move one or both teams, at least the people will have had their vote counted and they can live with the outcome.
And there is the other issue your last sentence. If the Royals and or Chiefs would move. The people voting no are going to be the first to bitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT