ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie McBride

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Listening to him today on 590 I couldn’t help but wonder, would Tom have had as much success if he hadn’t had Charlie as his DC? I think they were a great team and that Charlie’s contribution is under appreciated by the national media at least.

Last edited:
Listening him today on 590 I couldn’t help but wonder, would Tom have had as much success if he hadn’t had Charlie as his DC? I think they were a great team and that Charlie’s contribution is under appreciated by the national media at least.
I thought Charlie kept getting better and better each year. Of course, NU was loaded with talent on that side of the ball and he knew how to use that talent.

The thing I remember about McBride was the Orange Bowl against Miami. They were carving us up, very little pressure on their QB, and Tom told McBride, "I don't care if we get beat 50-0, I want that QB on his backside."
That conversation/demand changed the outcome of that game.

Tom had arrived at the point where he refused to lose. McBride was a large part of that equation.

I thought Charlie kept getting better and better each year. Of course, NU was loaded with talent on that side of the ball and he knew how to use that talent.

The thing I remember about McBride was the Orange Bowl against Miami. They were carving us up, very little pressure on their QB, and Tom told McBride, "I don't care if we get beat 50-0, I want that QB on his backside."
That conversation/demand changed the outcome of that game.

Tom had arrived at the point where he refused to lose. McBride was a large part of that equation.
IMO they were a great combination and I believe they made each other better.

McBride kept getting smarter and smarter as NU finally recruited speed, speed and more speed on the defensive side.

I don't say that to diminish McBride's accomplishments. On the contrary - I think he was the guy who convinced TO that all the planning and scheming in the world wasn't going get NU to a national championship without superior athleticism. Once he had the athletes he needed, Charlie was like a goddamned assassin.

McBride kept getting smarter and smarter as NU finally recruited speed, speed and more speed on the defensive side.

I don't say that to diminish McBride's accomplishments. On the contrary - I think he was the guy who convinced TO that all the planning and scheming in the world wasn't going get NU to a national championship without superior athleticism. Once he had the athletes he needed, Charlie was like a goddamned assassin.
His game plan against Florida in the Fiesta Bowl was a masterpiece.

Every week I watch that 3 minute video on You Tube called The Blackshirt Tradition. Blackshirts were ruthless and Charlie loved it!! That poor Wyoming Quarterback. OUCH.

Listening him today on 590 I couldn’t help but wonder, would Tom have had as much success if he hadn’t had Charlie as his DC? I think they were a great team and that Charlie’s contribution is under appreciated by the national media at least.
If you remember the old call in shows on KFAB and the "Voice from the Grandstand" before the 90's hit, Charlie Mc Bride was Public Enemy #1. Big Red also needed to throw the damned ball and TO was on borrowed time.

🌽

If you remember the old call in shows on KFAB and the "Voice from the Grandstand" before the 90's hit, Charlie Mc Bride was Public Enemy #1. Big Red also needed to throw the damned ball and TO was on borrowed time.

🌽
Glad you brought that up. Charlie was public enemy #1. I believe Charlie visited Florida State to update Nebraska's defense.

When your corners, safeties and weak side LBs can all cover in man and your front 4 can get pressure without help you magically become a genius.

College coaching is as much about recruiting/player development as it is Xs and Os

When your corners, safeties and weak side LBs can all cover in man and your front 4 can get pressure without help you magically become a genius.

College coaching is as much about recruiting/player development as it is Xs and Os
I coached FB for like 18 years I think.

Some good, some bad, some average teams.

One season, I went the entire season only blitzing 1 time, the entire season. If I remember correctly the best game we played was a 20-0 win where we only let up 1 first down.

I was the smartest coach in America that year...

The next year...I was not so smart! Ha

McBride became DC in 1983. He didn't become the legend he is until Bowden sent some of his staff to teach us how to use the 4-3 after the 92 season but before that he was pretty mediocre as his D was humiliated by Miami in the 89 OB and in 90 his defense got blasted by an undermanned OU squad on probation as well as Georgia Tech in the bowl game and got embarrased again by Miami in the Orange Bowl in Jan of 92 and then the following OB in Jan 93 against Florida St, plus OU in the 80s and UCLA you name it as we may have had some great players during that time but the Blackshirts couldn't close the deal. All of this is fact and I'm a big fan of McBride.

Last edited:
I coached FB for like 18 years I think.

Some good, some bad, some average teams.

One season, I went the entire season only blitzing 1 time, the entire season. If I remember correctly the best game we played was a 20-0 win where we only let up 1 first down.

I was the smartest coach in America that year...

The next year...I was not so smart! Ha
Some years they just weren't able to overcome the coaching?

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Glad you brought that up. Charlie was public enemy #1. I believe Charlie visited Florida State to update Nebraska's defense.
Yep. McBride was just your run of the mill defensive coordinator in the 1980's. The perception was that he coached an OK defense that partnered with a dynamic offense. But he was always good defensive coach with staff of good, veteran assistants. Things hit a low point after losing to national champion Georgia Tech in a bowl game. Gave up a nearly unheard of 45 points in the process. The team basically seemed to quit at the end of that season. But the big key was how Osborne and McBride responded to that difficult finish to the season. And things got better in a hurry.

Yep. McBride was just your run of the mill defensive coordinator in the 1980's. The perception was that he coached an OK defense that partnered with a dynamic offense. But he was always good defensive coach with staff of good, veteran assistants. Things hit a low point after losing to national champion Georgia Tech in a bowl game. Gave up a nearly unheard of 45 points in the process. The team basically seemed to quit at the end of that season. But the big key was how Osborne and McBride responded to that difficult finish to the season. And things got better in a hurry.
I absolutely agree. If memory serves me correctly, the team quit on T.O. and the leader was Mike Croel.

I also think 1992?, the next year NU started the Unity Council. Tom credited that a lot in later years.

Reactions: Dean Pope
I absolutely agree. If memory serves me correctly, the team quit on T.O. and the leader was Mike Croel.

I also think 1992?, the next year NU started the Unity Council. Tom credited that a lot in later years.
I am not sure Croel was the leader of that. He didn't play exceptionally well against OU, but in the Georgia Tech game, he led the team in tackles with 10, had a sack and 2 more TFLs.

Reactions: scarletred
I am not sure Croel was the leader of that. He didn't play exceptionally well against OU, but in the Georgia Tech game, he led the team in tackles with 10, had a sack and 2 more TFLs.
Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Does make you wonder why they started the Unity Council though.

Last edited:
McBride became DC in 1983. He didn't become the legend he is until Bowden sent some of his staff to teach us how to use the 4-3 after the 92 season but before that he was pretty mediocre as his D was humiliated by Miami in the 89 OB and in 90 his defense got blasted by an undermanned OU squad on probation as well as Georgia Tech in the bowl game and got embarrased again by Miami in the Orange Bowl in Jan of 92 and then the following OB in Jan 93 against Florida St, plus OU in the 80s and UCLA you name it as we may have had some great players during that time but the Blackshirts couldn't close the deal. All of this is fact and I'm a big fan of McBride.
Losing 18-16 in the ‘93 OB due in large part to a horrible block in the back call on our punt return to the house is hardly getting blasted. But ok.

Losing 18-16 in the ‘93 OB due in large part to a horrible block in the back call on our punt return to the house is hardly getting blasted. But ok.
That was the OB in Jan 94 from the 93 season and that year was the beginning of McBride's rise to legendary status! There were still hiccups that year though against the Seminoles. The Seminole recievers were making our secondary look terrible that game. I was at that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
Plus he doesn't mention the woeful performance of the offense in those games against Miami. OU in the 80's? Nebraska was 5-5 against the Sooners that decade and really should have been 6-4 if it wasn't for the offense in the 84 game (Osborne should have kept Sundberg in the whole game).

Plus he doesn't mention the woeful performance of the offense in those games against Miami. OU in the 80's? Nebraska was 5-5 against the Sooners that decade and really should have been 6-4 if it wasn't for the offense in the 84 game (Osborne should have kept Sundberg in the whole game).
The dude who your responding to was wrong as I told him that OB was Jan of 94 the end of the 93 season. This thread is talking about Charlie McBride, not the Offense.

TO had a good relationship with Miami, Fl. DC Tommy Tuberville. He sent Charlie down there for a week in the off season to see how they did things. TO had seen enough of their defense suffocating our offense in many bowl games. Safties became LB's, Linebackers became DE's and DT's became quicker and more athletic. It was a formula we adopted and it worked.

TO had a good relationship with Miami, Fl. DC Tommy Tuberville. He sent Charlie down there for a week in the off season to see how they did things. TO had seen enough of their defense suffocating our offense in many bowl games. Safties became LB's, Linebackers became DE's and DT's became quicker and more athletic. It was a formula we adopted and it worked.
It was Bobby Bowden he had the relationship with and they went to Florida St.

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Does make you wonder why they started the Unity Council though.
There were a lot of selfish players on the late 80's and early 90's team. They were playing for themselves and not the team. I have no doubts that Croel was playing for himself and his draft position, but that is different than quitting on the team. Regardless, Osborne starting the unity council to bring the team together. He and Jack Stark wanted the council to create peer based discipline model and standards of expectations.

Reactions: Laner2
I remember it as both staffs got together. Where I don't know but Bobby bowden was very instrumental in our transition from 5-2 to the 4-3 defense and recruiting speed to run it. The transition was ugly at first but we eventually got the horses to run it effectively

Reactions: baseball31ne
No he did not, Bowden sent a few assistants up here. DC Mickey Andrews and a couple of his guys.

No he did not, Bowden sent a few assistants up here. DC Mickey Andrews and a couple of his guys.
After a third-ranked Florida State beat 11th-ranked Nebraska, 27-14, in the 1993 Orange Bowl (following the 1992 season), Osborne and his defensive staff spent 2 ½ days with Bowden and his staff in the off-season.

It doesn't say where it took place, but my recollection was that it was down in Florida.

The other factor was Floyd fumbled entering the end Zone..

This was a parting gift for Bobby Bowden that night..

Reactions: baseball31ne
After a third-ranked Florida State beat 11th-ranked Nebraska, 27-14, in the 1993 Orange Bowl (following the 1992 season), Osborne and his defensive staff spent 2 ½ days with Bowden and his staff in the off-season.

It doesn't say where it took place, but my recollection was that it was down in Florida.
It was here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT