ADVERTISEMENT

Can Nebraska get kicked out of the Big?

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
is that possible? I thought if you are part owner of the big 10 network.
you could'nt get kicked out unless they gave you alot of money and you wanted to leave..
like owning 8 % of apple.

is that possible? I thought if you are part owner of the big 10 network.
you could'nt get kicked out unless they gave you alot of money and you wanted to leave..
like owning 8 % of apple.

Nebraska was the 12th program to be accepted into the Big Ten in the modern era. This isn't one of the them.

Why would the Big Ten choose to go backwards, after the Huskers have played 11 seasons within the conference?

As another media member shared:

Nebraska was the 12th program to be accepted into the Big Ten in the modern era. This isn't one of the them.

Why would the Big Ten choose to go backwards, after the Huskers have played 11 seasons within the conference?

As another media member shared:

"3rd Tier B1G Game iowa vs Nebraska"

absolutely hilarious because it's true. one fan base understands that, the other is iowa

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

"3rd Tier B1G Game iowa vs Nebraska"

absolutely hilarious because it's true. one fan base understands that, the other is iowa

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

the fact that there were very few other games being played on Black Friday to serve as competition and the game was still relegated to the big ten network is an embarrassment - as you said one fan base is rightfully embarrassed and the other is doing a victory lap

Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska are the top 3 brands in the B1G.

Penn State may suggest otherwise.

the fact that there were very few other games being played on Black Friday to serve as competition and the game was still relegated to the big ten network is an embarrassment - as you said one fan base is rightfully embarrassed and the other is doing a victory lap

The Big Ten Network choose it early in the season, before the season I believe, so it is what it is. FOX owns even more now.

Wouldn't surprise me they won't do it again.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
I'm just asking cause I heard a couple blowhards from other teams say it...

Penn State may suggest otherwise.

The Big Ten Network choose it early in the season, before the season I believe, so it is what it is. FOX owns even more now.

Wouldn't surprise me they won't do it again.
FOX considered airing the Iowa - Nebr game in that Friday afternoon time slot but after careful consideration opted for a rerun of “The Young and the Restless” and punted the game to BTN

I hope they do. Huge money and back to the Big 12 where we fit. We won't kiss the ring and it passes them off but it looks like ND is going to say no so who do they replace us with?

What would even prompt the question? We are a huge money maker for the B1G. We are in a conference with Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, etc those are schools that should probably worry.
insubordination, like what happened in 2020 courtesy of Scott Frost.

Nebraska represents the best of both worlds to the Big 10. A great money making, nationally recognized brand and a guaranteed win for the rest of the teams in the conference. Unless it's women's volleyball.

Nebraska isn't getting kicked out of the b1g. PERIOD. But after visiting with family and friends over the 4th who are in other b1g footprint that discussion is very real among their fans and seems very popular to throw out NU to bring in more pac schools and ND . And yes they keep bringing up NU non AAU status and the fact that we suck in fb. Would they be madder if we were kicking their butts and winning division and ccg???

Tools

Nebraska isn't getting kicked out of the b1g. PERIOD. But after visiting with family and friends over the 4th who are in other b1g footprint that discussion is very real among their fans and seems very popular to throw out NU to bring in more pac schools and ND . And yes they keep bringing up NU non AAU status and the fact that we suck in fb. Would they be madder if we were kicking their butts and winning division and ccg???

Tools
I'd keep that resume polished for submission to the SEC, because that would be a better spot to resurrect the football program.

We are going to have 2 conferences eventually.. one will be academic, the other will be athletic.

I'd be celebrating if we got thrown out of the B1G. We never fit, and everyone knows it.

We'd fall into the SEC, with OU, UT, A&M & Mizzou.. just like old times, AND the football program would come back to life.

I just did'nt know if legally you can do that type of thing, I never remember anyone getting kicked out of a conferance..ksu had a bit of a rough patch for like 30 years..and I think folks just kinda said hmmm.

I'd keep that resume polished for submission to the SEC, because that would be a better spot to resurrect the football program.

We are going to have 2 conferences eventually.. one will be academic, the other will be athletic.

I'd be celebrating if we got thrown out of the B1G. We never fit, and everyone knows it.

We'd fall into the SEC, with OU, UT, A&M & Mizzou.. just like old times, AND the football program would come back to life.
I don’t think we have finished better than 5th in the big ten west in the last 5 years - I don’t see how simply moving to the SEC is somehow going to magically resuscitate the football program

we couldn’t be in a better position to win 9+ games a year than playing in the big ten west.

Last edited:

Tools
I hate every B1G fan

they all have shit for brains

FOX considered airing the Iowa - Nebr game in that Friday afternoon time slot but after careful consideration opted for a rerun of “The Young and the Restless” and punted the game to BTN
Actually, I think the FOX affiliates didn't want to get millions of angry phone calls from Judge Judy fans. I can picture those little old ladies now:

"Yew mean to tell me I'm missing Judy so people can watch Spencer Petras and Logan Freaking Smothers try to hit the broad side of a barn with a football???"

I don't remember NU being all that well liked in the Big 8 or Big 12, but definitely well respected. In the BG10, we are neither liked nor respected, the latter for obvious reasons with on-field/court performance. Nebraska needs to fix Nebraska, conference alignment isn't our problem.

Nebraska is easily a top-3 brand in the conference
Easily? Penn State is a much bigger brand than Nebraska in every way possible. I do respect Nebraksa die hard loyal fan base and love for college football.

PSU may not control Pennsylvania like Ohio State controls Ohio or like University of Nebraska controls Nebraska, but it is still one of the biggest public schools in the country and located in the 5th most populated state. Largest dues paying almuni in the country.

Tools
Instead of worrying about get kicked out of the Big (Which I think will never happen and talk by some of our fans of wanting to leave it is pure lunacy) maybe Nebraska should do everything possible to get back into the AAU. I believe it was a founding member.

Hey there Huskers,

Just stopped by to see what you all thought of the expansion that was going on. I am actually checking on most of the BIG sites to see what people think. Just a few thoughts on what I have read here.

There is NO WAY the BIG would ever kick the Huskers out. That is ridiculous. Look, I wish the nation looked at the Hawks brand the same way they do other top brands in the BIG, but that is not reality at this point, However, Nebraska IS a top 4 brand along with Mich, OSU and PSU. The BIG knows this and is thrilled that Nebby joined 11 years ago.

I know many of you think the BIG teams and fans hate you, but that is simply not true. Yes, there are asshat fans of EVERY team that spout off, but most respect the Huskers history and know it will return.

I honestly thought that Texas and Oklahoma (along with Mizzu) would have been great fits for the BIG and would have give Nebraska some old rivals as well. I truly feel the BIG messed up here.

I do understand some of you pining for the old days of the Big 8/12...but think you could have the same here.

Now, lets get some football going!!!!!

I don’t think we have finished better than 5th in the big ten west in the last 5 years - I don’t see how simply moving to the SEC is somehow going to magically resuscitate the football program

we couldn’t be in a better position to win 9+ games a year than playing in the big ten west.
The same way moving to the B1G has helped destroy the football program.. even under Pelini it started to fall apart when joining this conference.

We lost our identity, our history, our rivals, all of it really, and you could argue the brand has been tarnished now too.

The B1G was nothing more than retirement for the football program. It's highly short sided too. People talk of B1G money, but that isn't going to last either.

The Husker football cash cow was built on 'on the field' excellence.. not conference payouts. We have likely been losing the fanbase as well. More people dying off than new fans being generated.

At some point, if you don't get back to what made you successful in the first place, you will have even destroyed those foundations. We are getting pretty close to that now.

The same way moving to the B1G has helped destroy the football program.. even under Pelini it started to fall apart when joining this conference.

We lost our identity, our history, our rivals, all of it really, and you could argue the brand has been tarnished now too.

The B1G was nothing more than retirement for the football program. It's highly short sided too. People talk of B1G money, but that isn't going to last either.

The Husker football cash cow was built on 'on the field' excellence.. not conference payouts. We have likely been losing the fanbase as well. More people dying off than new fans being generated.

At some point, if you don't get back to what made you successful in the first place, you will have even destroyed those foundations. We are getting pretty close to that now.

I still linger on this site, because I've established a presence here, I'm comfortable here, and I really enjoy tOS.

I've pretty much moved on entirely from Nebraska sports, thankfully.

Last season, I started following Ole Miss. Also, I enjoy watching Texas Tech.

If Nebraska was in the SEC or Big XII, I'd probably still watch them. A lifetime of trashing the big ten, and generally just being completely uninterested in the big ten is hard to get over.

Go Rebs!

lane-kiffin-ole-miss.gif

You have to learn to change with the times or die. Im not that old, but Oklahoma used to run the ball all the time back in the day but Bob Stoops and Lincoln Reilly really changed them into a preeminent passing offense college football. Now they are moving to the SEC and will play tough defenses weekly.

You never hear of Oklahoma fans whining about back in the day or crying about how they lost their rivals. I’m sure if they start losing in the SEC it will start. Everyone else in the conference “Welcome to the SEC”

Reactions: BleedRed78
I guess it's just the sign of the times. I'll be the first to admit that Nebraska trying to become a passing team and throwing the run away hasen't been pretty at all since solich left. and I hasseling 0u fans a lil for being 3-8 during blake...but I never said we should give oklahoma the boot. I guess it's just the new mentality, like ripping 60% of the tv market from the pac to make a few bucks, or school shootings, or guys with 4 baby mammies, or biden proclaiming he's up to 60+ genders......

I guess alot of folks anymore are void of dignity or any biblical presuppositions these days. I guess I'll just have to ignore the liberals, and hope we find a running game again some decade. I am somewhat interested on how much we could sell our part in the big 10 network and maybe go to the sec's more fertile recruiting grounds. where we might find some running backs and run/pass qb's..

sounds like you have a lot more issues than Nebraska football winning some games.

Reactions: hawksurprize
You have to learn to change with the times or die. Im not that old, but Oklahoma used to run the ball all the time back in the day but Bob Stoops and Lincoln Reilly really changed them into a preeminent passing offense college football. Now they are moving to the SEC and will play tough defenses weekly.

You never hear of Oklahoma fans whining about back in the day or crying about how they lost their rivals. I’m sure if they start losing in the SEC it will start. Everyone else in the conference “Welcome to the SEC”
Our offense was fine as a passing team under Bill Callahan, so it's not necessarily the offensive style that matters. It's really all about recruiting.

Do you want to recruit athletes or academics?

That's what this is becoming.

As more and more people opt out of 100k student debt loans to start their lives, universities need to start changing with the times.

You are going to get the traditional high education market (B1G), which I have no problems with.. the rest of the universities are going to have to find something to hang their hat on, and athletics is likely the only other financial hook available.

So the move to the big ten somehow is preventing us from excellence on the field?. Like somehow the players are more motivated playing Iowa State or KSU than Purdue or Minnesota.

if what you say is true - for all the good Tom Osborne did for the program - your premise points to him almost single handedly killing the program by orchestrating the move to the BIG.
Perhaps his statue should be removed and name taken off the field?

Reactions: dmaw
So the move to the big ten somehow is preventing us from excellence on the field?. Like somehow the players are more motivated playing Iowa State or KSU than Purdue or Minnesota.

if what you say is true - for all the good Tom Osborne did for the program - your premise points to him almost single handedly killing the program by orchestrating the move to the BIG.

That's what I said a few years ago. Tom killed Nebraska football, because he was mad at Texas.

That's what I said a few years ago. Tom killed Nebraska football, because he was mad at Texas.

Given your belief that TO destroyed the football program in perpetuity with the move to the BIG - do you think that long term Nebraska football would have been better off if TO had never coached here?

Given your belief that TO destroyed the football program in perpetuity with the move to the BIG - do you think that long term Nebraska football would have been better off if TO had never coached here?

Did you not read the thread I posted?

It was a very bad move by Tom.

Great coach, but not so great administrator nor congressman.

His coaching statue is fine.

Nobody put up a statue for anything else he has done.

Tom was a nice enough guy to stick things out and finally figured out how to win the big one. It's a great story in perseverance, but that is about all. He is no god, just a man, flawed and all like the rest of us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT