ADVERTISEMENT

Can Nebraska finish with the 14th ranked class?

When you look at the top ranked classes vs the mid-20’s to 30’s look at the bottom half to bottom 1/3 of the class. It is the depth of talent brought in. When the Huskers bottom half of the majority 5.6-5.7 on Rivals and .87 or better on 247 then the rankings will go up. To be elite level recruiting for Nebraska the four and five are great but the high end three stars make up the ground.

That all said, Nebraska needs guys that are as talented as possible but need to fit and mindset and system they run. Square pegs into round holes won’t work.

From 14 to 20 is quit a bit of disparity and Ohio St 13th to 21 is another but your probably correct..
As others have said, the fact that 247 counts all the recruits while Rivals only uses the top 20 makes a pretty big difference.

Also, I think #20 is the composite ranking. 247 has us at #19.fwiw

Last edited:
7 4* on 247 sports and they only have Nebraska bumped up to 20th and they have Ohio St up to 13 of course they only have 16 commits, but why the disparity from one site too they other?

Biggest disparities between Rivals and 24/7:

1. Rahmir Johnson - I think this is their biggest miss.
2. Jackson Hannah
3. Dedrick Mills- although they have him as the #1 JUCO running back in the country, they still only have him as a 3-Star.
4. Desmond Bland - However, he may never actually never end up at Nebraska.
5. Brant Banks - he's a 3-star on both sites, but 24/7 doesn't even have him ranked in the top 125 players in Texas. Rivals sees him in the top 50

24/7 also has the following players ranked higher than Rivals:

1. Ronald Thompkins - They have him as the #6 ranked RB in the country. I think he can definitely be a great player, but you can't value him that highly considering he's only played in 3 games the last two seasons.
2. Dylan McCaffery
3. Darien Chase

I thought this sounded dumb, but I decided to do this crazy thing called research before I responded. According to rivals, our class average sits at 3.36 stars right now, with still room to grow. Now lets look at Nebraskas history of recruiting average since Rivals was born.

2018- 3.24
2017- 3.3
2016- 3.14
2015- 3.14
2014- 2.8
2013- 3.16
2012- 3.35
2011- 3.45
2010- 3.09
2009- 3.25
2008- 2.96
2007- 3.33
2006- 3.27
2005- 3.13
2004- 2.55
2003- 3.05
2002- 2.95

This isnt just a large class. On paper, this class has the second highest star average since rivals started. I get being cynical, but try a little research next time.
Also, that 2011 class was a bust, I doubt this class will be.

Now we sit back and watch as hopefully Frost has a much higher rate of return on the productivity from his players compared to years past.
There can and will always be attrition, but our success rate with highest rated prospects has been abismal!!

If we strike out less with highest rated players it will show up on the field big time.
Other posters have broken it down in much better detail, but despite our yearly rankings, if you look at our on field contributions, the recruit rankings were irrelevant with so many players not panning out as expected.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Great post. I think a lot of people don't realize that the floor of this class is MUCH higher than it has been in a lot of others. That's a really big deal in any class, but it's a huge f---ing deal in a class of 30.

I was worried and critical early-to-mid season, but no more. I'm thrilled with this class and the direction NU is trending in recruiting. If they can continue to recruit at this level and jump up another 5-10 slots with future classes, big things are on the way. The staff has showed real closing power late in cycles.

I would expect another big class next year as well. Probably not 30, but over 20.
Thank you!
Also, that 2011 class was a bust, I doubt this class will be.
Agreed

Great post. I think a lot of people don't realize that the floor of this class is MUCH higher than it has been in a lot of others. That's a really big deal in any class, but it's a huge f---ing deal in a class of 30.

I was worried and critical early-to-mid season when there weren't very many commits, but no more. I'm thrilled with this class and the direction NU is trending in recruiting. If they can continue to recruit at this level and jump up another 5-10 slots with future classes, big things are on the way. The staff has showed real closing power late in cycles.

I would expect another big class next year as well. Probably not 30, but over 20.

I still remember Frank Beamer saying (after we kicked VT's ass in the Orange Bowl (I think)) that he thought the 1st stringers for each team were fairly close in ability, but that NU's 2 deep was much better and that is why they got their doors blown off. Depth has been an issue for a long time; hopefully, that issue is going by the wayside.

I was worried and critical early-to-mid season when there weren't very many commits, but no more. I'm thrilled with this class and the direction NU is trending in recruiting. If they can continue to recruit at this level and jump up another 5-10 slots with future classes, big things are on the way. The staff has showed real closing power late in cycles.

I was talking with a buddy about the remaining targets and who we think will be taking and how we may turn away some high level players because there’s no space. I asked the question, ‘I wonder if the staff regrets taking some of the lower level guys early?’

So we looks at the commit list and had a tough time picking who we’d rather leave off. Banks? Graham? Fritzche? They all have tremendous upside and big frames. We couldn’t find one that was a lock. It was really eye opening of how good this class could be.

Rivals only includes 20 signees in their formula. I don't understand your post. Nebraska will easily sign at least 20 players every year, even with reduced available schollies.
Maybe and probably. There's been speculation that next year might be a small class. Definitely probably not as big as this year but everything is speculation at this point. How much attrition will there be? How will the new transfer rules affect every class going forward? The transfer rules might make every class a little bigger each year as I expect higher defections that we aren't used to. New world.

As others have said, the fact that 247 counts all the recruits while Rivals only uses the top 20 makes a pretty big difference.

Also, I think #20 is the composite ranking. 247 has us at #19.fwiw
Exactly. We're a little inflated. Great class and getting better!!

I was talking with a buddy about the remaining targets and who we think will be taking and how we may turn away some high level players because there’s no space. I asked the question, ‘I wonder if the staff regrets taking some of the lower level guys early?’

So we looks at the commit list and had a tough time picking who we’d rather leave off. Banks? Graham? Fritzche? They all have tremendous upside and big frames. We couldn’t find one that was a lock. It was really eye opening of how good this class could be.

I had wondered the same thing. Also seems we had a lot of “needs” this year. And staff couldn’t have predicted where’d they be with targets going into February, so it was important to load up on the talent they could acquire for the early period.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I had wondered the same thing. Also seems we had a lot of “needs” this year. And staff couldn’t have predicted where’d they be with targets going into February, so it was important to load up on the talent they could acquire for the early period.

No doubt, a bird in the hand and all that. But it was just interesting to think about. We haven’t been in this situation since I can remember. I wonder what the staff will take away from this cycle.

7 4* on 247 sports and they only have Nebraska bumped up to 20th and they have Ohio St up to 13 of course they only have 16 commits, but why the disparity from one site too they other?

247 uses a diminishing returns formula. The point contribution from your 20th ranked recruit will barely impact your overall score. Rivals counts only your top 20 recruits, but at full contribution.

247 uses a diminishing returns formula. The point contribution from your 20th ranked recruit will barely impact your overall score. Rivals counts only your top 20 recruits, but at full contribution.

Ya, that is what I gathered from previous posts in the thread...plus different evaluations with the disparity between the two with Ohio St class..

If we can finish with that 9 or 10 win mark next year. I could see us easily pulling in a top 10 class.
Top ten class is going to be incredibly difficult
I expect him to land his first 5 star next year...I think these guys flat out know how to recruit.
Let’s let him sign a kid out of Florida and keep him for more than a season before we expect 5 stars
I thought this sounded dumb, but I decided to do this crazy thing called research before I responded. According to rivals, our class average sits at 3.36 stars right now, with still room to grow. Now lets look at Nebraskas history of recruiting average since Rivals was born.

2018- 3.24
2017- 3.3
2016- 3.14
2015- 3.14
2014- 2.8
2013- 3.16
2012- 3.35
2011- 3.45
2010- 3.09
2009- 3.25
2008- 2.96
2007- 3.33
2006- 3.27
2005- 3.13
2004- 2.55
2003- 3.05
2002- 2.95

This isnt just a large class. On paper, this class has the second highest star average since rivals started. I get being cynical, but try a little research next time.
All that research shows is that Riley knew how to recruit

Let’s let him sign a kid out of Florida and keep him for more than a season before we expect 5 stars

Ahhhh, I get it now. Good work!

I suspect you are a UCF fan, but I will play along. Explain why getting a top 10 class is going to be difficult? We just went 4-8 and are pulling in the 14th rank class according to Rivals. Around 20th in others. If we can get that 8-10 win mark next year top 10 is more than do able.

Lol Florida, Yes Florida has talent, but we don't need Florida to have a top 10 class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT