ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Lightbourn is listed on the transfer portal

Sorry it hasn't panned out for him, but it seems pretty evident by this point that he just can't put it together. Best of luck.

Then again, Bunch went into the portal, too, and he's still around.

Bunch is not on scholarship though. I think he was given a second semester one. But not a full one. So it doesn't matter of they bring him back. Getting a third string punter off of scholarship would be nice.

Can't say I'm shocked. I really wonder how much of it was issues with talent vs having him do things he wasn't comfortable with (like the rugby style punting) and it throwing him off. Whatever the case, I don't see it as much of a loss since at worst the next guy up is just as good as him before he went downhill, if not better

I wonder if there is any one kick in particular that will not be going into his highlight reel?

2675036001383304fcc1d032cba9a0e7

Last edited:
Probably the most likely thing to happen after spring ball.

Can't say I'm shocked. I really wonder how much of it was issues with talent vs having him do things he wasn't comfortable with (like the rugby style punting) and it throwing him off. Whatever the case, I don't see it as much of a loss since at worst the next guy up is just as good as him before he went downhill, if not better

I am (a little) shocked.Why would a kid give up a full ride scholarship? What team is going to give him a full ride?

Reactions: SOHusker11
I wish Caleb the best of luck, and think it’s unfortunate. From the standpoint of a program promoting doing things the right way with honor and integrity, I don’t think I could handle being a 3rd string punter on scholarship dealing with the scorn of my teammates that I’m sabotaging.

Dragging the team down with my presence alone isn’t worth the scholarship. You do the honorable thing and give it up to a more deserving person.

Reactions: Swiv3D and bcarda
I wish Caleb the best of luck, and think it’s unfortunate. From the standpoint of a program promoting doing things the right way with honor and integrity, I don’t think I could handle being a 3rd string punter on scholarship dealing with the scorn of my teammates that I’m sabotaging.

Dragging the team down with my presence alone isn’t worth the scholarship. You do the honorable thing and give it up to a more deserving person.
The honorable thing is NU honors his scholarship - football or no football.

Let's be honest with ourselves. For NU to get back to where it wants to be (National Title contender) it cannot be in the habit of keeping scholarships for 3rd string punters.

All the honor in the world bought Mike Riley zero sympathy and a one-way ticket out of town. Frost knows very well that it's win or get fired. Keeping non-producers on scholarship isn't how you win.

Let's be honest with ourselves. For NU to get back to where it wants to be (National Title contender) it cannot be in the habit of keeping scholarships for 3rd string punters.

All the honor in the world bought Mike Riley zero sympathy and a one-way ticket out of town. Frost knows very well that it's win or get fired. Keeping non-producers on scholarship isn't how you win.

Heck, he will probably be a fourth string punter when the Michigan State transfer gets here.

That kid never would’ve lasted this long at Alabama..

The sad part is he was thrust into the starting job because of Sam's untimely death. We will never know how good he could have been had he been allowed to redshirt.
I think that is a great point. People can bust the guys balls all you want over performance but just remember he came into a tough situation and handled with class.

Last edited:
No, unless he is deserving of another scholarship. ALL scholarships should be lost as easy as they are gained. It's not time to stop working when you get to college, it's time to start.

Reactions: TheNewNU

Or you continue to work hard and support your teammates and potentially get a degree for free.

I would like to feel sorry for him but when you choose not to do things that are required of players(showing up to team meetings on time, going to class, doing what the coaches ask you to do, etc.) it's hard to have much empathy. Time to find a different location.
Didn't realize that was a problem. From his Twitter announcement, he mentions "fresh start" and "I can be myself again". Sounds like there is a disconnect between him and the team. Probably a good decision to find a new home.

Has NU ever spent a scholarship on a punter before? This was the first time I can remember that happening.

Are you questioning the judgement of someone who got paid $450K a year to coach special teams? He must have known what he was doing.

I could stomach the paid position showing how serious special teams is for football... but then they were really really bad at special teams and that salary was just being pissed away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT