ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Cubit fired at Illinois

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
First day on the job new Illinois AD fires the Head Football Coach.

Saw a report that he did it within 30 minutes of arriving.

UI has pushed spring ball back to 3/11.

Players found out via Twitter.

Also fired the OC.

Crazy.

I know he didn't exactly impress in his one year, but this is not really a good time to be looking for a new coach. The new AD better be confident he can get somebody better.

Whitman is an alum and guess he may already have an idea where this is headed.

Whitman is an alum and guess he may already have an idea where this is headed.

I quess you wouldn't fire the Head Football Coach the the first day on the job if you already know which direction you want to go.
It shouldn't take long to announce the New Head Coach then... We should hear something next week.

Last edited:
Local Trib commenter said Whitman might have a relationship with Lane Kiffin. No idea if it has any teeth

IMO Cubit did something way outside acceptable to be fired on the first day.
I seriously doubt it. I think you're reading this wrong. It's seems highly improbable that the new AD walked in and had every intention of keeping Cubit and then suddenly Cubit did something that caused him to get fired. It seems clear the new AD had it in his mind to get rid of Cubit when he came in and he had already got Lovie Smith as his replacement. In other words, it wasn't anything Cubit did-it's what he already had(or in reality hadn't) done, and that is win enough.

Pelini to Illinois?
I know it was a joke, but I had seen and heard people seriously suggest this. They fired their prior coach for abusing players. Do these people really think that they would hire a nut job like Pelini who could go Woody Hayes at any moment? Bobots are a funny breed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT