ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg soon to be 7-0

SomedayHusker

All-American
Oct 26, 2019
Omaha
I know we haven’t played anyone really..buttttt. I will bite on this team. I think this should be the best Fred team we’ve seen, combined with a relatively soft B1G schedule.

They just don’t make the amount of stupid mistakes we’ve seen in the past, even against worse teams. They’ve gone ice cold from 3 in this game but it hasn’t mattered. They’re finding other ways to score. They’re not flashy, they share the rock very well. You never know who is going to lead in scoring between 4-5 different guys. Free throws are night and day better and we get to the line due to nice passing and inside scorers.

They obviously won’t look this good in a week and I believe we lose to Creighton at PBA, but I think we’ll eek out some surprises along the way and continue to handle the teams we should, provided we stay healthy.

Going to be 7-0 today, GBR

I know we haven’t played anyone really..buttttt. I will bite on this team. I think this should be the best Fred team we’ve seen, combined with a relatively soft B1G schedule.

They just don’t make the amount of stupid mistakes we’ve seen in the past, even against worse teams. They’ve gone ice cold from 3 in this game but it hasn’t mattered. They’re finding other ways to score. They’re not flashy, they share the rock very well. You never know who is going to lead in scoring between 4-5 different guys. Free throws are night and day better and we get to the line due to nice passing and inside scorers.

They obviously won’t look this good in a week and I believe we lose to Creighton at PBA, but I think we’ll eek out some surprises along the way and continue to handle the teams we should, provided we stay healthy.

Only way we beat Creighton is if they shot like they did on Thanksgiving or the way they shot last year in Omaha..

Reactions: huskerfan66
This is also the weakest the Big Ten has been since Hoiberg has been here. If he can't at least finish with a winning record this year, it will be a disappointment.

Reactions: mgbreis
I also am a little surprised at how boringly competent this team is. In the past we definitely would have lost to 2-3 of the teams we've beaten so far. I'm not looking at just Creighton, more like the next 4 games. We go .500 and I'll be impressed.

Also, since we're talking up the Huskers here... how about someone play a little defense on this Jones guy? At this point maybe don't give him 4 feet of space on the 3-point line.

anyone think we'll make the field this year?

what % chances would you give us?
Well right now there are 6 teams in the B1G ahead of us in our predictive ranking of #50. Our rank probably rises slightly upon updating later today. Some of those teams ahead of us have already been upset by similarly ranked schools we’ve played. I say we make the NIT and win 3 games. Hoiberg probably buys himself another year. Minnesota is currently last in the B1G at #104. Purdue is #1.

I'm not getting on any men's BBall bus until we're in the middle of conference play and we're still looking good. But I wish them all the best.

Is it true the BB team is only undefeated because of HH? Serious question? Asking for a clueless ape.:confused:

I just need some bandwagon, ANY bandwagon to jump on since Husker FB isnt getting it done. And waiting 2-3 years? I'm waaay to much of a petulant baby for that.

Reactions: arf_man
anyone think we'll make the field this year?

what % chances would you give us?

Maybe 15-20% chance of making the NCAA field. B1G is weaker this year and could be a repeat of the year Miles went on a run late but poor conference ranking hurt.

FWIW, I will say Trev influencing Hoiberg to actually get a B1G-type roster has changed the trajectory. Completely overhauled coaching staff has made a big difference. We look prepared most every game on both ends of the court. Doesn’t mean we won’t look crappy some games. It is nice to see us use the 3point shot as a complementary part of the offense as opposed to totally relying on it.

Reactions: king_kong_
I also am a little surprised at how boringly competent this team is. In the past we definitely would have lost to 2-3 of the teams we've beaten so far. I'm not looking at just Creighton, more like the next 4 games. We go .500 and I'll be impressed.
This might be the best roster we’ve had since Née. Gary is a stud. I don’t think we can hang with Purdue but this roster could get to .500!in the B1G

Last edited:
I’ve got us winning 21 games. With our soft schedule we may be a bubble team that goes to the NIT with 21 wins. Penn State just lost to VCU and I’m watching Indiana who is down 24-18 to Harvard. Indiana is #83, worst Hoosier team in my memory.

I’ve got us winning 21 games. With our soft schedule we may be a bubble team that goes to the NIT with 21 wins. Penn State just lost to VCU and I’m watching Indiana who is down 24-18 to Harvard. Indiana is #83, worst Hoosier team in my memory.
Harvard can be sneaky good at times. While Harvard doesn’t offer athletic scholarships, first generation or “disadvantaged” students can attend for free. Amiker has had at least one top 5 recruiting class not too long ago. I can only imagine some of their NIL deals.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Sounds about right. I like this team and it's nice to see them pile up wins. But in this era, that's really not a formula for making the tournament. Need at least a split with Creighton/K-State and some quality wins in conference.

Sounds about right. I like this team and it's nice to see them pile up wins. But in this era, that's really not a formula for making the tournament. Need at least a split with Creighton/K-State and some quality wins in conference.
Should be fun to watch the season play out. Hopefully.

Reactions: scarletred
Should be fun to watch the season play out. Hopefully.
I couldn't watch the game today, but I see that Lawrence had six assists against zero turnovers. While he's not scoring much yet, those are exactly the type of numbers NU needs from Lawrence. If he pushes the pace and creates opportunities for his teammates, Huskers can run some teams right into the ground.

Any word on if Keita is ever coming back? We've been getting killed by offensive rebounds the last two games and our defense hasn't been great.

I like this team but the early season rebounding and defense has faded a little bit.

Any word on if Keita is ever coming back? We've been getting killed by offensive rebounds the last two games and our defense hasn't been great.

I like this team but the early season rebounding and defense has faded a little bit.
Doesn’t sound promising.

Rebounding.
We wont do it in the big ten.
Prepare for heartbreak. This is Nebraska.
However they do sound better than expected so there is hope at least.
The Nebraska Next-Years better get it done this year.

I wouldn't count out Nebraska at home against Creighton. I think I saw the line was only Creighton by 2 points.
Creighton looks slow and disorganized so far. I want them to have a good season but they’ll need some new guys to step up.

Best depth I've seen in probably 25+ years. They have gelled on the court and several can easily score double digits. 5 did so today. They can make free throws, too! What's this all mean? Who knows but this is by far the best team since mid to late 90's.

Reactions: arf_man
Best depth I've seen in probably 25+ years. They have gelled on the court and several can easily score double digits. 5 did so today. They can make free throws, too! What's this all mean? Who knows but this is by far the best team since mid to late 90's.
Might be the best since 1998-99 yes. But have to see what Big Ten play brings. Though being undefeated going into conference play is going to be a huge change!!

Reactions: NewRedEra
Going off the first 7 games. This is a really really good TEAM. I’m excited to see how this plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT