ADVERTISEMENT

***Big Ten Baseball Tourney Thread***

Not gonna lie - Rooting for OSU today.

So far there has been no 'stolen bids' from the field of 64. No unexpected conference tournament winner anywhere and just two possible such winners left. Root for Washington in the PAC 12 and Wilmington in the Colonial. If those two win there will be zero stolen bids.

Except for the B1G. MSU or Iowa winning here would be a stolen bid but just affecting the B1G.

Here's D1Baseball's Sunday morning take..

• The Big Ten will be very interesting to watch. Iowa went 3-0 to win its bracket and advance to Sunday’s title game against the winner of the morning game between Michigan State and Ohio State. Neither Iowa nor Michigan State has an at-large RPI, so if one of those two teams takes the automatic bid, it could steal a bid from another bubble team. We’ve got Ohio State on the right side of the bubble right now, so a pair of Buckeye wins Sunday would maintain thestatus quo. Should OSU take the auto bid, we expect the Big Ten to be a three-bid league, with Minnesota and Nebraska getting in as at-large teams, but Michigan and Maryland falling on the wrong side of the bubble. If Iowa or Michigan State wins the conference tournament Sunday, it could knock out Minnesota, Nebraska or Ohio State — and we see the Huskers as the most vulnerable of that group. Alternately, all three could get in, making the Big Ten a four-bid league. It will depend how many at-large spots are available. Iowa certainly has an advantage since it will have played one fewer game than whichever team it faces tomorrow, so its pitching should be in better shape.

Reactions: saluno22
Interesting. So they think Michigan is out? With their RPI I just don't see it. If Iowa or MSU win I see either Minny or Nebraska getting left out. Not even OSU is in for sure, although they seem to be as close to punching a spot as any team right now if they can make the championship. The nice thing for OSU is they only have to beat Iowa once since it's not a true double elimination tourney.

Curious, If Ohio St losses this first game does Nebraska jump ahead of them in the RPI?

You would think so.

Curious, If Ohio St losses this first game does Nebraska jump ahead of them in the RPI?

You would think so.

Most likely, but their run through the tourney may make the RPI difference pointless in the NCAA's eyes. At this point we may want them to just win out if at all possible. Not sure how far they would drop in RPI though.

Reactions: saluno22
I think many people are giving Minny too much credit for their title too. I was listening to some deal on the radio stating that the committee won't so much use the title as a defining reason but rather a tie breaker type of situation. Unless the league champ wins by by a large margin and not just the half a game. May be an interesting 11 o'clock hour tomorrow for a few Big Ten teams.

Hawks will come to play today, this their game, their time.

Today they show exactly who the best team in the B1G is.

A look at how the other conferences are shaking out as Nebraska looks to earn an at-large NCAA Tournament berth

Already Clinched Auto Bids
Binghamton (America East)
Rhode Island (Atlantic-10)
Stetson (Atlantic Sun)
Coastal Carolina (Big South)
Wright State (Horizon League)
Princeton (Ivy League)
Bethune-Cookman (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
Fairfield (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference)
Dallas Baptist (Missouri Valley)
New Mexico (Mountain West)
Bryant (Northeast Conference)
Navy (Patriot League)
Oral Roberts (Summit League)
Alabama State (SWAC)
Utah Valley State (WAC)
St. Mary's (West Coast Conference)

Remaining Conference Tournament Bids (Championship Games)

ACC
Florida State vs. Clemson

American Athletic Conference
Houston vs. Connecticut

Colonial Athletic Association
UNC-Wilmington vs. William & Mary (rained out 8-8 Top 10th...will resume Sunday)

Big 12
West Virginia vs. TCU

Big East
Xavier vs. Creighton

Big Ten
Iowa vs. Michigan State/Ohio State winner

C-USA
Southern Miss vs. Rice

MAC
Kent State vs. Western Michigan

Ohio Valley
Southeast Missouri State vs. Jacksonville State

SEC
Texas A&M vs. Florida

Southern Conference
Mercer vs. Western Carolina

Southland Conference
Southeastern Louisiana vs. Sam Houston State

Sun Belt
Georgia Southern vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

Pac-12
The Pac-12 does not have a conference tournament, but Washington and Utah are playing a final series this weekend. Utah currently leads the standings by one game, but if Washington wins the game today and finishes tied with Utah, Washington would win the series and would take the Pac-12 auto bid

Here is a good read by Jon Nyatawa on who Nebraska fans should be rooting for in these games

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_c29db6f6-2436-11e6-b9bd-9b0477c25662.html

The Hawkeye fans have shown up in droves here and most won't even get in for a few innings is my guess. The TD Ameritrade ticket office really dropped the ball. For those of you Husker fans with all session passes you could make a nice profit right now. Winking

Reactions: donahues17
Sunday, Funday, Runday. After 3 1/2, 9 runs, 14 hits in Omaha.

Also, in progress, Clemson 16 - FSU 1, TCU 8 - WVA 3, Utah 10 - Washington 2.

Oh, and OSU leads 5-4. Stay tuned.

Creighton also lost, they have a 45 RPI to our 46 but we have the head to head advantage which will carry more weight by the committee.

I don't think Creighton has the resume for an at large

OSU leads Iowa 7-4 in the 8th

Iowa threatening in bottom of eighth....cutting OSU lead to 7-6

Clemson 18 - FSU 13, T 9th. FSU hung a snowman B 8th.

Still need TCU to beat West Virginia and Washington losing will only help us a little.

Doesn't Washington (RPI 50) losing hurt us? Utah (RPI 96) is a bid stealer.

T 9th, Utah 21 - Washington 5.
I don't think it would matter either way. Only one of those teams would most likely get in over us. Or shouldn't anyway. They didn't even play a tourney. Who knows what the NCAA will look at though.

I think we're in. I already hate Iowa enough-having them possibly steal our at-large bid would have really sucked.

I think we're 4th in the Big Ten pecking order. Michigan has an RPI in the 30s and swept us. Minnesota won the league and basically has the same RPI as us. Splitting hairs for sure but that's how I see it shaking out.

Congrats to the Buckeyes...I think they are the best team in the conference. Unfortunately, I don't think we see our name get called tomorrow. Minnesota likey gets in over us...and out of the other bubble teams I'm not seeing who we make it in over.

Minnesota has 3 fewer wins than us and an RPI 7 spots lower than us. Is winning the regular season championship by a half game really going to make that big of a difference?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT