ADVERTISEMENT

Better than this

This.
I cannot believe the anti-Frost stuff I am seeing on this board after only two games. Throw out the star rankings of our offensive lineman, because in reality we have one of the worst offensive lines of any P5 team. I think Frost knows this which is why he chose Martinez over Gebbia. He knew he was going to need a QB with some serious wheels to overcome the shit show that this offensive line has become.

Anyone who thinks a coaching staff can turn an awful line into a good line after 8 months of weights and practices is smoking something. More than any other position group the offensive line needs development and choreography. And if your line is playing like a pack of school girls it affects your play calling: especially if you are starting a redshirt freshman walk on QB in his first game.

Our defense did not play "great". But they only gave up 17 points and played well enough to win that game. And had our offense sustained more drives I doubt the defense even gives up 17.

Special teams sucked but the miscues there would not have been game altering had we been further ahead in the first place. Their punt return would not have happened had our offense not gone three and out inside our own ten.

Make no mistake... the loss yesterday was squarely on the shoulders of a really awful offensive line. It will take time to fix that. That sucks but it is the reality. I hope we take a few more really good offensive lineman in this recruiting class.

Yep. With a pathetic OLine "and" a 3rd string back-up qb......it's rough sledding for us. Then add on dropped passes, fumbling the ball everywhere, endless penalties......well, that's where we are.

We still have 3 of the worst starting offensive linemen in the conference.

Guys like Martinez (and Armstrong his senior year) can cover that up a bit.. guys like Lee and Bunch cannot.

Doesn't matter who the coaches are when the OL is bad and/or lazy you lose.
Yeah I brought that up a few times this summer and kept getting reassured that the O-line is really talented but had been poorly coached. As awful as Riley and his staff may have been, I doubt they were telling guys to whiff on blocks and regularly take plays off.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
We still have 3 of the worst starting offensive linemen in the conference.

Guys like Martinez (and Armstrong his senior year) can cover that up a bit.. guys like Lee and Bunch cannot.

Doesn't matter who the coaches are when the OL is bad and/or lazy you lose.
Some truth to this, but remember, Martinez played up until late in the CU game, and we were behind when he got injured. So while I am positive that the offense runs or works better with him in there, it isn't a wholesale answer to our problems.

I do think our linemen are too big. Most of these guys were recruited by Riley, and he recruited size only. I would guess that this staff will recruit guys that have more athletic ability vs. just size only.

Oregon Ball is not disciplined. ... It can work against the soft Pac-12 and AAC. Big Ten defenses are another story.
This is my biggest concern. I will admit that I flat out don't like the hurry up scheme, specifically on defense. Fundamentally, I cannot stand the idea that you would freely allow a team the big play and quick points rather than making them earn it the entire field.

We have seen the stats column very positive, 2 weeks in a row and yet have come up losers. Now most guys are blaming the mistakes, and they surely don't help us, but wait until Michigan is up 35 points in the 2nd quarter next week. We haven't had our asses kicked yet.

I am of the mindset that as a fan base, we have to wear Scott down and make him change the scheme, at least the defensive scheme. Most of the fans aren't on that page yet, but it doesn't make much sense running a shootout defense when you don't have the offense to compliment it.

Last edited:
Oregon Ball is not disciplined. If you wanted a highly-disciplined team, we hired the wrong coach. We should have hired a Barry Alvarez/Wisconsin disciple if we wanted that.

The question is will Oregon Ball work against teams like Wisconsin? I have my doubts. It can work against the soft Pac-12 and AAC. Big Ten defenses are another story.
B1G looked terrible yesterday. Every style worked. Including Wisconsin.

Some truth to this, but remember, Martinez played up until late in the CU game, and we were behind when he got injured. So while I am positive that the offense runs or works better with him in there, it isn't a wholesale answer to our problems.

I do think our linemen are too big. Most of these guys were recruited by Riley, and he recruited size only. I would guess that this staff will recruit guys that have more athletic ability vs. just size only.

This is my biggest concern. I will admit that I flat out don't like the hurry up scheme, specifically on defense. Fundamentally, I cannot stand the idea that you would freely allow a team the big play and quick points rather than making them earn it the entire field.

We have seen the stats column very positive, 2 weeks in a row and yet have come up losers. Now most guys are blaming the mistakes, and they surely don't help us, but wait until Michigan is up 35 points in the 2nd quarter next week. We haven't had our asses kicked yet.

I am of the mindset that as a fan base, we have to wear Scott down and make him change the scheme, at least the defensive scheme. Most of the fans aren't on that page yet, but it doesn't make much sense running a shootout defense when you don't have the offense to compliment it.
Frost seems stubborn. He’s won with this scheme since Oregon. Don’t see him letting fans dictate his coaching.

Bad offensive play calling. Not nearly as creative as he was at UCF. I have to believe he doesn’t have the personnel he needs to execute the plays.
His style of play calling requires great QB Play. Milton year 1 was not great. Hence the 7 losses. If Martinez is the answer he needs to learn this year and take his lumps. Being hurt is stunting his growth.

Frost needs to be "worn down" by our fans to change his scheme? Frost is stubborn and won't change his Oregon ways?? Good freaking grief people. Two games in. Two freaking games. And already some on here are turning on him. And I am just going to say it. The criticisms of Frost I mentioned above are simply idiotic and moronic in the extreme. I have never read dumber comments on here in my 9 years on this board.

His style of play calling requires great QB Play. Milton year 1 was not great. Hence the 7 losses. If Martinez is the answer he needs to learn this year and take his lumps. Being hurt is stunting his growth.
News flash: There isn't an offensive system worth its salt that is worth a damn when you have a lousy QB. And you will have an average offense with an average QB. And a great offense with a great QB... all other factors being equal. The QB is most important athlete on the field for any team, anywhere, pro or college. Period.

Reactions: msjgroup
Frost needs to be "worn down" by our fans to change his scheme? Frost is stubborn and won't change his Oregon ways?? Good freaking grief people. Two games in. Two freaking games. And already some on here are turning on him. And I am just going to say it. The criticisms of Frost I mentioned above are simply idiotic and moronic in the extreme. I have never read dumber comments on here in my 9 years on this board.

He's tweaked his system over the years in different ways to make it more effective and he'll continue to do so, but he's not going to pull the plug and pretend he has a pro style team (not that a change like that would help anything).

Even yesterday he was calling things to try to give Bunch a comfort level.

News flash: There isn't an offensive system worth its salt that is worth a damn when you have a lousy QB. And you will have an average offense with an average QB. And a great offense with a great QB... all other factors being equal. The QB is most important athlete on the field for any team, anywhere, pro or college. Period.
Is Bunch a pro-style QB?

Penalties and turnovers. Bunch threw a pick...but it was a tipped ball.

They have to hold onto the football with both hands when the opposition is in tackling vicinity.

My favorite thing to do on the field was force turnovers. I intercepted one pass and housed it one time. You can have that. Ill take hitting some dude out of his shoes and popping that ball. That was more fun than winning games, as selfish as that sounds it's true. That was like winning the super bowl....to me.

I've been against his scheme from the beginning, and said on this board that when the average fan figures out that the scheme doesn't actually fit the old way of doing things, that there will be real problems with the fan base. I didn't say I was turning on him, and sorry you think they are dumb comments.

Defenses win championships.

Last edited:
This.
I cannot believe the anti-Frost stuff I am seeing on this board after only two games. Throw out the star rankings of our offensive lineman, because in reality we have one of the worst offensive lines of any P5 team. I think Frost knows this which is why he chose Martinez over Gebbia. He knew he was going to need a QB with some serious wheels to overcome the shit show that this offensive line has become.

Anyone who thinks a coaching staff can turn an awful line into a good line after 8 months of weights and practices is smoking something. More than any other position group the offensive line needs development and choreography. And if your line is playing like a pack of school girls it affects your play calling: especially if you are starting a redshirt freshman walk on QB in his first game.

Our defense did not play "great". But they only gave up 17 points and played well enough to win that game. And had our offense sustained more drives I doubt the defense even gives up 17.

Special teams sucked but the miscues there would not have been game altering had we been further ahead in the first place. Their punt return would not have happened had our offense not gone three and out inside our own ten.

Make no mistake... the loss yesterday was squarely on the shoulders of a really awful offensive line. It will take time to fix that. That sucks but it is the reality. I hope we take a few more really good offensive lineman in this recruiting class.
Steve Taylor mentioned that after the game yesterday he said 1 theses are the same o linemen we had last year and there not very good. 2 he asked the question when was the last time we had all conference lineman let alone all American. I hope the coaches go with a youth movement especially on the o line those seniors can't help you next year same goes for young at linebacker he might be a hell of a practice player but doesn't have the talent to play in games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT