ADVERTISEMENT

Better Coach: Kirk Ferentz or Matt Campbell?

Give me Campbell. If the roles were reversed, I’ll go out on a limb and say that Campbell would win the division more than once a decade if he was the Iowa coach.

Majors took Iowa St to their first 2 back to back bowl games EVER before he left for Pitt..

McCartney was 57-84 in 12 years what are you talking about..o_O
Majors had a grand total of 1 winning season at ISU, and it was an impressive 8-4. He never beat a ranked opponent while he was in Ames. What are YOU talking about?

Give me Campbell. If the roles were reversed, I’ll go out on a limb and say that Campbell would win the division more than once a decade if he was the Iowa coach.
It is kind of like comparing an apple and an orange. Their situations are different. Kirk has the best strength coach around(and he is paid accordingly). The Parkers(Norm deceased and now Phil have treated him well over the years. Their teams don't beat themselves. Very few turnovers and penalties. Kirk gets his pick of the best in state linemen. His style fits the Big Ten well. Matt Campbell probably has a better long term upside but doesn't have the current stability of Kirk. Campbell works his tail off and is quite intelligent. He has to work harder to find the talent he needs. Unfortunately his OL today looked a lot like Nebraska's of the last few years. ND's defense was too athletic for the Cyclones today. But I wouldn't bet against Campbell over the next few years. His team outplayed the Hawkeyes earlier this year but ended up one point shy on the scoreboard.

Reactions: 9and4
Regardless of the Iowa- Nebraska so -called rivalry, which it is not, is, kind of a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Majors had a grand total of 1 winning season at ISU, and it was an impressive 8-4. He never beat a ranked opponent while he was in Ames. What are YOU talking about?

Ya in 1971 when they went 8-4 they lost to the #1,#2,#3 teams in America hard to beat a ranked opponent when no one else beat those teams either..

@huskerssalts, you're right. By my count you only own 11 posts on this thread. The rest of us are to blame for the excess.

Who the heck was complaining about number of posts? No one complained about that at all. My post there was about Iowa posts that blow up for 10 plus pages long because us Husker fans and Iowa fans bicker back and forth....but congrats on keeping track and count for us in this thread, although it’s remained civil. And which coach are you picking then....??????

Who the heck was complaining about number of posts? No one complained about that at all. My post there was about Iowa posts that blow up for 10 plus pages long because us Husker fans and Iowa fans bicker back and forth....but congrats on keeping track and count for us in this thread, although it’s remained civil. And which coach are you picking then....??????

My mistake there, Salts I thought too many pages of posts might have been caused by too many posts.

As for which coach I'm picking? I can't compare a 40 year old man with 8 years as head coach with a 64 year old man, who has been a head coach for 23 years. I think it is impossible to know what the future holds for either man. TO and some other great coaches didn't hit their absolute peak until late in their careers. I just read the Husker Board and am glad when people stick with the subject presented without using up a lot of airspace.

I hope Campbell sees he has hit his ceiling at Iowa State.... Solid coach, but he just will
Not be able to get the players to get over that hump at Iowa State.

Ferentz has won 57% of his games

Campbell has won 60% of his games.

In the grand scheme of things, I think I'd go with Campbell, as he is a lot younger with more potential.

If age is no concern and you take a full body of work, you know what you are going to get with Ferentz, consistency with some above avg years, but not elite.

Campbell is more of a unkown, but seems to have more upside.

I probably still gamble and take Campbell.

Reactions: WHCSC and 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT