ADVERTISEMENT

Best way to rebuild the tradition?

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I was listening to Carriker Chronicles this morning. He was saying that this program is at rock bottom because the previous coaches (esp BILLY C) wanted to remove anything having to do with our history and tradition.
So my question is how do we restore that and get these player, who some weren't even born in the 90s, to understand it? Obviously getting Frost is a good starting point.
My biggest suggestion is to get as many former players as possible who remember, in here. Bring back the things they use to do. I understand many of these guys would have little to no coaching experience, but could find something small for them to do. Just away to have that mentality back around these kids. Maybe it would start to rub off on them. I personally would love to see Carriker back in some form or another. The guy gets it and he wasn't even playing in the 90s. I wouldn't mind JP but he might be a bit to crazy. lol
So what other suggestions would you have to try and bring back the history and tradition of Husker football

What's the statement Moos had, something about embrace the past, ......, .......

Whatever it was, it's a perfect foundation.

As far was what Carriker says, meh.

I was listening to Carriker Chronicles this morning. He was saying that this program is at rock bottom because the previous coaches (esp BILLY C) wanted to remove anything having to do with our history and tradition.
So my question is how do we restore that and get these player, who some weren't even born in the 90s, to understand it? Obviously getting Frost is a good starting point.
My biggest suggestion is to get as many former players as possible who remember, in here. Bring back the things they use to do. I understand many of these guys would have little to no coaching experience, but could find something small for them to do. Just away to have that mentality back around these kids. Maybe it would start to rub off on them. I personally would love to see Carriker back in some form or another. The guy gets it and he wasn't even playing in the 90s. I wouldn't mind JP but he might be a bit to crazy. lol
So what other suggestions would you have to try and bring back the history and tradition of Husker football
The things that had to be done to build that culture in the "glory years" won't fly in 2017. When they fired Frank the made the decision to flush it....Time to move on.

That ship has already sailed. The history and tradition is in the past. What happened in the 90s is a culmination of a history and tradition that started in the 60s, not the cause of it. You have to have a continuous link in the program to keep that kind of thing going.

I would also say that the culture, especially on the fan side, changed a lot after the 3 national titles. Maybe now we truly understand what it truly takes to get there. We had a 5 year run where we lost 3 games and played for 4 national titles. Even the year we didn't and the year after we were still very, very good.

That isn't something you just dial up with some guys from the 90s. It was a perfect storm of coaching, culture, players, system, and teams. For Nebraska to move forward, it needs a winning mentality and a mentality of discipline. Winning starts by practicing the right ways and with the right intensity. It starts by doing your homework, both coaches and players, before game day and showing up ready to play from the first kickoff.

It might be a guy from the 90s that gets us there, like Scott Frost, but it doesn't have to be nor does it need to be. It has to be someone that isn't just going to show up and coach for a paycheck without putting in the hard work that goes with it.

Last edited:
Tradition is fine, but no one cares about it when you're losing. People act like the uniforms, helmets, walk-on program, etc. are untouchable, but I wouldn't give them two thoughts if the team was winning championships. Put the team in pink uniforms with orange tutus, I don't care if they bring home the crystal.

It's fine to bring back former players and all that jazz, but we've tried that before. Supposedly Callahan chased them all off, and Pelini brought them all back. Blah blah blah, as if any former player or coach hasn't ever been able to watch practices. They always have been, and the head coach wouldn't even know about it. The guys in yellow jackets would let them in, and never think to bother the coach with such a trivial matter.

So bring back Harry Husker, reinstall the box seats, wear tear-away jerseys, and have a First Federal Lincoln logo on the scoreboard. It won't make a difference unless the team is WINNING.

That ship has already sailed. The history and tradition is in the past. What happened in the 90s is a culmination of a history and tradition that started in the 60s, not the cause of it. You have to have a continuous link in the program to keep that kind of thing going.

I would also say that the culture, especially on the fan side, changed a lot after the 3 national titles. Maybe now we truly understand what it truly takes to get there. We had a 5 year run where we lost 2 games and played for 4 national titles. Even the year we didn't and the year after we were still very, very good.

That isn't something you just dial up with some guys from the 90s. It was a perfect storm of coaching, culture, players, system, and teams. For Nebraska to move forward, it needs a winning mentality and a mentality of discipline. Winning starts by practicing the right ways and with the right intensity. It starts by doing your homework, both coaches and players, before game day and showing up ready to play from the first kickoff.

It might be a guy from the 90s that gets us there, like Scott Frost, but it doesn't have to be nor does it need to be. It has to be someone that isn't just going to show up and coach for a paycheck without putting in the hard work that goes with it.

Welcome to the board and post more.

The tradition was ultimately winning. How you got there was the process. The process takes three distinct things: coaches with an incredible eye for detail in everything little thing they teach, players who have athletic and mental abilities to push themselves beyond normal expectations to a higher level of performance which requires sacrifice and lastly, this will all take time. In our microwave world of win now, (yes there are already predictions for records next year and expectations for championships) this will all take several years of starts and stops to develop. Those looking for the quick fix are going to be disappointed again.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Recruit Football talent. Alabama did Ozzy did Bowden did Switzer did it's not Magic. OU dumped the wishbone still won! TDC won't win crap without talent. Phillips Green Craig Rozier Jimmy Williams Neil Smith Sandman everyone was an all American and played as Freshman or Soph. Not one coach made those players they came ready to Star. Talent Talent .Billy Sims RB coach did not make Billy Billy .Roziers first JV scrimmage in Lincoln 8 carries 200 plus yards. What development happened there. He and Craig came out of the gate as bulls. Some ex coach who starred here isn't going to turn M Newby into Ray Lewis. TOs walkons without Irving Fryar and Johnny the jet are just Walkons. Ozzy without recruiting talent is not picking are coach after he retired. If Frosty wants to win he better take recruiting seriously there's no Florida talent and speed anymore. to fall back on .Recruit Recruit Recruit or become Frankie or Bo.

The tradition was ultimately winning. How you got there was the process. The process takes three distinct things: coaches with an incredible eye for detail in everything little thing they teach, players who have athletic and mental abilities to push themselves beyond normal expectations to a higher level of performance which requires sacrifice and lastly, this will all take time. In our microwave world of win now, (yes there are already predictions for records next year and expectations for championships) this will all take several years of starts and stops to develop. Those looking for the quick fix are going to be disappointed again.
No need to move the goalposts. Frost is a throwback and will be the answer.

The things that had to be done to build that culture in the "glory years" won't fly in 2017. When they fired Frank the made the decision to flush it....Time to move on.
I wouldn't say we need to do everything that we did back then. I is an attitude, it is a fire a passion, the belief that nobody is going to beat us. The players from those days knew it and did it. They did it establishing a tradition a procedure a process. So I guess I wasn't say to do exactly what they did.

Recruit Recruit Recruit or become Frankie or Bo.

Yup. Every assistant coach hired should be a proven recruiter. Lots of talk about Tom Osborne's head coaching ability, but rarely mentioned are the assistants like Tony Samuel and Kevin Steele who got that speedy Florida talent to Lincoln in the first place. I'd trade our entire defense right now for one Terrell Farley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT