ADVERTISEMENT

Best coaching job based upon quality of recruits...

Completely disagree. Those 90s teams had multiple players on both sides of the line that had offers from coast to coast. We had substantially more talent on those teams than Wisconsin has ever had.
Agree but prior to the 90's out side of maybe the mid 80's couple of years - the rap on Osborne was that his players were slow we would win but could not match the talent at OU or the Florida teams

kind of the chicken or egg - what comes first - Osborne built his base on development and then he went after some skilled players - it wasnt til later he pulled in great classes - So I believe the development came first which brought a level of success then the highly sought players followed even then many of players that contributed the most were Nebraska or surrounding kids coming to NU because of the reputation he had

I don't see the beginnings as either, really. Devaney started winning upon arrival, implying he didn't need a ton of time to develop, and didn't need "his" guys for decent seasons. Then there were those two seasons things seemed like they were slipping, before asked his staff to build a new modern offense and TO brought the I-form. By the time this happened, basically all of the talent for the 70 and 71 teams were already on the team.

Agree but prior to the 90's out side of maybe the mid 80's couple of years - the rap on Osborne was that his players were slow we would win but could not match the talent at OU or the Florida teams

Agreed. I was more so discussing the 90s. Prior to that, in many cases our DBs were less than fleet of foot. Actually our LBs weren't the fastest either. Our WRs really didn't matter, based on the type of offense we ran. They were running wide-open in many cases, because we always threw off of play-action.

Agreed. I was more so discussing the 90s. Prior to that, in many cases our DBs were less than fleet of foot. Actually our LBs weren't the fastest either. Our WRs really didn't matter, based on the type of offense we ran. They were running wide-open in many cases, because we always threw off of play-action.

I forget which player gave the interview on the 95 OL, but he said he came to NU because Texas Tech thought he was too short to play D1 football.

That's about as good a line as have ever played the game, and some 20 years later you still have guys with chips on their shoulders for all the slights they received from lesser programs than NU.

Generally we weren't bringing in Orlando Pace.

Edit: What's generally interesting about those old OL interviews is most of those guys describe themselves as inexperienced relative to the 94 OL, but they each had a year or two playing most of the 2nd half in nearly all the games (except Bowls) due to the blowout nature of the wins. Yet they still considered themselves what we'd call "noobs". And 20 years later, we expect a 4* guy to come in off the street and start, or at most, redshirt and come out firing when they have nowhere near that amount of experience before being asked to do so. Doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
Edit: What's generally interesting about those old OL interviews is most of those guys describe themselves as inexperienced relative to the 94 OL, but they each had a year or two playing most of the 2nd half in nearly all the games (except Bowls) due to the blowout nature of the wins. Yet they still considered themselves what we'd call "noobs". And 20 years later, we expect a 4* guy to come if off the street and start, or at most, redshirt and come out firing when they have nowhere near that amount of experience before being asked to do so. Doesn't work like that.
It wasn't just playing the 2nd halfs either. It was going up against some studs in practice every day. I don't think Osborne allowed a whole lot of going through the motions in practice either.

It wasn't just playing the 2nd halfs either. It was going up against some studs in practice every day. I don't think Osborne allowed a whole lot of going through the motions in practice either.

Right but you are talking about a well oiled machine at that point. In most programs that have fired their coach for not meeting expectations, you aren't walking into a situation where studs are laying around to start slobber knocking against each other.

OU under Stoops a prominent outlier.

Yah, after watching Wilson Thomas play DE at North in HS, it always struck me as strange he was Crouch's #1 target at WR it seemed like. They just had mojo together.

I don't think Thomas was all that skilled of a WR, but it didn't matter. He blocked 90% of the time.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
I forget which player gave the interview on the 95 OL, but he said he came to NU because Texas Tech thought he was too short to play D1 football.

That's about as good a line as have ever played the game, and some 20 years later you still have guys with chips on their shoulders for all the slights they received from lesser programs than NU.

Edit: What's generally interesting about those old OL interviews is most of those guys describe themselves as inexperienced relative to the 94 OL, but they each had a year or two playing most of the 2nd half in nearly all the games (except Bowls) due to the blowout nature of the wins. Yet they still considered themselves what we'd call "noobs". And 20 years later, we expect a 4* guy to come in off the street and start, or at most, redshirt and come out firing when they have nowhere near that amount of experience before being asked to do so. Doesn't work like that.
I sure as hell wouldn't want to play against a juiced up slighted player either. Already had enough motivation before adding the extra 'motivation' to go run through a wall. :D

Reactions: dinglefritz

Aaron Taylor probably. I think he was listed at 6'1", but that was stretching it. Two-time All-American and Outland Trophy winner.

One of the reasons why our depth was amazing is because we usually had 4 or 5 separate offenses and defenses going at it in practice all the time. We had tons of personnel, and they were beating the crap out of each other every day. Our teams were forced to be tough as nails. I wish we could get back to that. Just abusing defenses until they said "uncle" and gave up in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

I guess I've never seen him State this.

It's always been pretty obvious and widely discussed that barry Alvarez, after coaching at Iowa, patterned his program after Iowa. The similarities are still there after all these years. Very similarly to how Mark dantonio used the Iowa blueprint to build Michigan State
It's obvious that Barry coached at Wisconsin after coaching at Iowa. It is also obvious that he took what he learned from winning at Nebraska to winning at Wisconsin. Had he patterned wisconsin after Iowa, then Wisconsin would be the same boring 8-5 team that exemplifies Iowa football. Just like Iowa's only Heisman winner, anything good about Iowa football goes through Nebraska at some point, you're welcome.

As the B1G West is currently configured, Nebraska and Wisconsin will win the west 70% of the time, Iowa and the rest can share the other 30%.

Over the last 5 years collectively it' has to be Bill O'Brien / James Franklin and its not even debatable. From just 55 scholarship players in 2012 and crippling scholarship limitations to Big Ten champs in 5 years with nary a losing season in between is remarkable.

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
I guess I've never seen him State this.

It's always been pretty obvious and widely discussed that barry Alvarez, after coaching at Iowa, patterned his program after Iowa. The similarities are still there after all these years. Very similarly to how Mark dantonio used the Iowa blueprint to build Michigan State

Hahahahahahahahahaha

If he used yall's model, Wisconsin would lost to Central Michigan on senior night to miss a bowl game. If you are gunna come here to troll, at least come with something better than that.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT