ADVERTISEMENT

Best coaching job based upon quality of recruits...

Toms Wife

Sophomore
Jan 7, 2017
It has to be Mike Gundy. The guy gets the most out of his players of anyone in America. Over the last 8 years:

Avg. Recruiting Rank: 34th
Winning %: 11th

Obviously Bill Snyder is in the mix but his teams haven't been near as good as Gundy's during that time.

Berry himself has stated many times he used the Nebraska blueprint when he built his program. He didn't borrow a page, he stole the whole damn book! I think we ended up tossing ours into the can.

"If ever there were a sign someone is a campus institution, it would have to be getting his or her own ice cream flavor. Barry Alvarez, Bo Ryan, and Chancellor Biddy Martin PhD’85 have all earned attention from the Babcock Hall Dairy Plant — via the tasty tributes named Berry Alvarez, Bo’s Express, and Strawbiddy Swirl. More recently, UW-Madison’s fight song inspired On, Wisconsin! — a cheesecake-flavored ice cream with a dark chocolate swirl and chocolate-covered cranberries."

http://onwisconsin.uwalumni.com/traditions/babcock-hall-ice-cream/

People also forget that Gundy is at his alma-mater. Same as Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. They have a passion for their University and thus rubs off on the players. They can find the right type of guys for what they see fit in their system, city and team cultures. In a way, it might even be easier for them to recruit to their respective schools. I would venture to guess that they have turned down many other job offers because of this reason. Oklahoma State has constantly battled Oklahoma for the Big Xll Title and Northwestern has played giant killer in the B1G for years because of those two coaches' leadership.

Most overrated coach in the B1G. Nice guy, very motivational, 55% winner. Paid like a 70% winner.
I assume your talking about Pat Fitzgerald?

I think he milks out about as much success as you possibly can at a school like Northwestern. If he leaves they return to be a bottom dweller of the Big Ten. He probably isn't paid enough for what he does for the program at Northwestern.

Reactions: VuonoNYC
Most overrated coach in the B1G. Nice guy, very motivational, 55% winner. Paid like a 70% winner.
I get what you are saying with being paid like a 70% winner but I still would put my money on NW turning into Purdue—a.k.a dog you-know-what if he left. Their football stadium is terrible and should have been unplayable last year. I love Chicago but it is not a college football town. It's the 3rd most populated city in America and I might not go back to Evanston game solely because of their obsolete stadium. The most overrated coach in the Big 10 to me is still James Franklin even after last year, but thats a different topic for another thread.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal

Switch that to Pac 1-2 three years ago and it sounds like Riley...except for the pay part.

Fitz (I assume that is who you mean) is getting paid what he does more for his desire to stay at NW and because NW wants him there for another 20 years.

With the Big Ten cash it is easy to pay him what he makes and NW has tried really hard to make their sports more competitive. I have a feeling they will do all they can to keep Collins around when Coach K dies/retires. NW is trying to follow a blueprint by keeping alums/hometown coaches at the school.

I agree with you that Fitz is overrated but I totally understand why he gets the pub he gets and the checks he gets.

I might have to go for Wisky for the win. They are 10th in winning percentage over the last 8 years and probably in the 50's for recruiting classes.

I might have to go for Wisky for the win. They are 10th in winning percentage over the last 8 years and probably in the 50's for recruiting classes.
And they still shell out 10+ wins and division titles with a slightly above-average coach in Chryst. I would argue that they are successful because of their location to so many young norsemen! They have tons of big boys from the state of Wisconsin on the OL year in and year out.

Northwestern has been basically the same program since 1995. Barnett, Walker and Fitzgerald all had a good season or two, followed up with a 3 to 5 win season or two and a bunch of 6-7 win seasons.

Riley had a better record at Oregon St than Fitz has at northwestern. But didn't get near the pub or the accolades as Fitz.

Northwestern has similar admissions standards as Notre Dame and Stanford but doesn't have near the success. Weather only plays a small part in that.

My bad. I was counting just his second stint.

Either way any other coach, winning just 55% of their games, isn't viewed in the same regard as Fitz.

My bad. I was counting just his second stint.

Either way any other coach, winning just 55% of their games, isn't viewed in the same regard as Fitz.
That isn't true...Riley was thought of as a stud because of what he was able to do at OSU...USC wanted...Bama wanted him. He was and is viewed in very high regard.

Not to rain on your parade, but during the era you are lamenting about, Nebraska had always recruited talent. Wisconsin has never been Nebraska (Osborne years) in terms of talent on the roster.
This. Everyone seems to think we were consisted entirely of kids no one else wanted. Indeed, talent development was fantastic, but we were also all around states fighting the big boys for the top talent.

Northwestern has been basically the same program since 1995. Barnett, Walker and Fitzgerald all had a good season or two, followed up with a 3 to 5 win season or two and a bunch of 6-7 win seasons.

Riley had a better record at Oregon St than Fitz has at northwestern. But didn't get near the pub or the accolades as Fitz.

Northwestern has similar admissions standards as Notre Dame and Stanford but doesn't have near the success. Weather only plays a small part in that.
Weather? I think it's historic athletic commitment that differentiates. Seriously, it's not even close (historically - as NW is on an infrastructure binge suddenly) over the past forever. There's a reason why ND has asked Fitz to be their coach every chance it's had. Including I'd guess, the next one. Seriously the weather in SB is worse than Evanston. Unless you're considering the absence of an indoor facility, it could not be less relevant.

Notre Dame and Stanford have a history in their football program. If Fitz were to go to Notre Dame I'm sure he'd have more wins and better recruits too.

Take Kell my from Notre Dame and put hit at Northwestern and they flop.

It's really early to say this but I'm going to go with Chris Peterson.

Evidence A) the Oklahoma bowl game which was just ridiculous. I'm 37 and I can't remember seeing a game like that where scheme and creativity overcame such a wide, talent gap.

Evidence B) last year: stud WR and solid #2, really good secondary, star college QB (probably a clipboard holder in the league,) stout defensive line, solid but unspectacular OL and solid college RB. Some decent pieces, but those guys had no business putting up the season that they did last year IMO.

Last edited:
I assume your talking about Pat Fitzgerald?

I think he milks out about as much success as you possibly can at a school like Northwestern. If he leaves they return to be a bottom dweller of the Big Ten. He probably isn't paid enough for what he does for the program at Northwestern.
You may be correct but he is overrated, especially as an in game coach.

Case in point is the year Taylor Mart led a comback against them. They consistently broutht 3 rushers in the 4th despite obvious examples from earlier in the game (and earlier in the season) that he cant handle pressure and throw...back foot guy.
He also decided to play that simeon -( think thats his name?) too much at qb againt us when it was obvious to everyone that our defense was much less sturdy against the dual threat of kain coulter, especially considering the year before it was coulter who beat us. I felt we were gifted that game and it was also one of the few times i genuinely felt our staff under Bo outcoached another team for a win. (They were also shaky with clock management if i remember)
Fast forward to the hail mary game. We turned the ball over a lot that game and their rb Green was gnashing us up the middle-Rose had a horrendous game-and i remember asking why they didnt give him more carries. I looked it up he had 19 for 150 yards and three tds. They were 8/21 passing that day.
I remember that game feeling like two poor teams both trying to lose. What a great ending though.

Moral of the story Im not sure NW could do any better than Fitz and i think they have a good relationship. But he is entirely overrated as a coach. Doesnt mean he is bad, just overrated. Good motivator and chemistry guy, not the best game planner.

Notre Dame and Stanford have a history in their football program. If Fitz were to go to Notre Dame I'm sure he'd have more wins and better recruits too.

Take Kell my from Notre Dame and put hit at Northwestern and they flop.

Kelly does suck...needs to be a coordinator in the NFL instead of murdering interns as the HC in college.

Back to the OP though, Mike Gundy is legit, especially with the amount of turnover at OC he has to deal with. No doubt a top-10 HC.

Back to the OP though, Mike Gundy is legit, especially with the amount of turnover at OC he has to deal with. No doubt a top-10 HC.
I do think he is legit. They have been good for quite a long time. They haven't made it to a national championship game (they were robbed a few years back), but he takes low level recruits and wins.

P.S. In 2011 they were 12-1 with their one loss coming on a fluke loss after a plane crash the night before killing the basketball coaches. They smoked OU 44-10, beat a top 10 A&M team, and scored at will against almost anybody. They were left out for a team that didn't even win their conference division.

Last edited:
Not to rain on your parade, but during the era you are lamenting about, Nebraska had always recruited talent. Wisconsin has never been Nebraska (Osborne years) in terms of talent on the roster.
Not exactly true yes we recruited some talent especially at the skill positions, however most times the cores of an Osborne team was developed talent that was not highly recruited.

Wisconsin today resembles NU of the past very much. Strong running game and great defense year in year out

Not exactly true yes we recruited some talent especially at the skill positions, however most times the cores of an Osborne team was developed talent that was not highly recruited.

Wisconsin today resembles NU of the past very much. Strong running game and great defense year in year out
That's the point, that's what we are saying. Resembles, yes. But they aren't pulling the top end guys like we did. That means no LP, no Frazier, no Fryar, no Gill, no Peters, and I could keep going forever. The core was development, but the high end guys are what pushed us to greatness.

Reactions: timnsun
That's the point, that's what we are saying. Resembles, yes. But they aren't pulling the top end guys like we did. That means no LP, no Frazier, no Fryar, no Gill, no Peters, and I could keep going forever. The core was development, but the high end guys are what pushed us to greatness.
This.

Snohomish, Osborne played in 6 or so national championship games. You don't do that without high end talent at skill positions. When we didn't have the high end talent, those were Wisconsin like years...

a lot of the time the lines were made up of Nebraska kids, for sure... but when we were at our best, it isn't a coincidence that we had gill, rozier, fryar, Frazier, Phillips, Green on the team...

Wisconsin has never sniffed a national championship game. When they do, you will see high end talent taking them there.

Reactions: SOHusker11
This.

Snohomish, Osborne played in 6 or so national championship games. You don't do that without high end talent at skill positions. When we didn't have the high end talent, those were Wisconsin like years...

a lot of the time the lines were made up of Nebraska kids, for sure... but when we were at our best, it isn't a coincidence that we had gill, rozier, fryar, Frazier, Phillips, Green on the team...

Wisconsin has never sniffed a national championship game. When they do, you will see high end talent taking them there.
A few of those you mention werent highly recruited...........

This.

kind of the chicken or egg - what comes first - Osborne built his base on development and then he went after some skilled players - it wasnt til later he pulled in great classes - So I believe the development came first which brought a level of success then the highly sought players followed even then many of players that contributed the most were Nebraska or surrounding kids coming to NU because of the reputation he had

Reactions: timnsun
Berry himself has stated many times he used the Nebraska blueprint when he built his program. He didn't borrow a page, he stole the whole damn book! I think we ended up tossing ours into the can.
I guess I've never seen him State this.

It's always been pretty obvious and widely discussed that barry Alvarez, after coaching at Iowa, patterned his program after Iowa. The similarities are still there after all these years. Very similarly to how Mark dantonio used the Iowa blueprint to build Michigan State

It's always been pretty obvious and widely discussed that barry Alvarez, after coaching at Iowa, patterned his program after Iowa. The similarities are still there after all these years. Very similarly to how Mark dantonio used the Iowa blueprint to build Michigan State

Iowa sucks.

Nebraska built the model for Badgers' success

Completely disagree. Those 90s teams had multiple players on both sides of the line that had offers from coast to coast. We had substantially more talent on those teams than Wisconsin has ever had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT