ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Sasse commencement speech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tgat was bad. When he runs for POTUS in 2024 its gonna come back and bite him in the ass.

Other than the psychologist stuff it was fine. He kinda crossed a forbidden line when he invoked mental health though. I loved the comments about the big rope.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Tgat was bad. When he runs for POTUS in 2024 its gonna come back and bite him in the ass.
He cannot run for president after exposing himself like that. Big money donors are not going to waste their time on him. Sasse may be feeling all fat and happy about his job security in the Senate, but this is an election year. If ever there was a time for a Republican to run as an independent to beat that 48 year old child, now is the time. It would basically come down to whether the Republican national committee wanted to back him for six more years or make an upgrade.

Our state can do so much better than that. Sasse should be back selling Runzas or working for Uber next year.

I don't really see him as a politician, more of just an elitist nerd who can't relate to any other human being on earth because he's so inside his own head.

I thought he recovered near the end, but by that time most people would probably have tuned him out. It's like he had 10 candidates for opening-joke-about-the-lockdown, and decided to use all of them.

Heard him speak at the Farm Bureau convention in December and I was surprisingly impressed by him-- fyi I'm not a registered dem or rep so I keep a pretty open mind. Not a good speech but I don't think its going to effect him long term. Let's face it, the media will wait for any slip up from a republican and pounce on them.

Let's be honest, he's not going to run successfully for anything higher than where he already is. He doesn't fit the reality TV star profile needed for President.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
This country was in a lot better place back when people didn't get so butt-hurt about every joke someone told - good or bad. I have heard plenty of lawyer jokes at speeches over the years, but it never triggered me to go fire off a letter to the editor. Not going to go listen to the whole speech just so I can be triggered also, but I didn't see anything in the OWH indicating he stated anything racists, sexist or misogonistic, so exactly how was he "exposed"?

I'd rather have dr. tom or cruz in his place...but he's better then the nut job who ran against Omaha's current mayor in the last election, or ernest chambers

I'd rather have dr. tom or cruz in his place...but he's better then the nut job who ran against Omaha's current mayor in the last election, or ernest chambers

Nut job? Why? Because he doesn't have the same outlook or remedies that fill your head?

What a sad and toxic way to think but go ahead and label away.

He cannot run for president after exposing himself like that. Big money donors are not going to waste their time on him. Sasse may be feeling all fat and happy about his job security in the Senate, but this is an election year. If ever there was a time for a Republican to run as an independent to beat that 48 year old child, now is the time. It would basically come down to whether the Republican national committee wanted to back him for six more years or make an upgrade.

Our state can do so much better than that. Sasse should be back selling Runzas or working for Uber next year.
I definitely agree. He's a sanctimonious prick but the big money donors love him. Paul Singer the vulture capitalist who gutted Cabelas and sold them to Bass Pro has given tons to Sasse.

This country was in a lot better place back when people didn't get so butt-hurt about every joke someone told - good or bad. I have heard plenty of lawyer jokes at speeches over the years, but it never triggered me to go fire off a letter to the editor. Not going to go listen to the whole speech just so I can be triggered also, but I didn't see anything in the OWH indicating he stated anything racists, sexist or misogonistic, so exactly how was he "exposed"?
Haven't heard the whole thing, but after working in public education for many years, that is a tough crowd (hierarchy) to try jokes out on. He might have been dressed-up, above the waist. His legs were covered in Bad Idea jeans, however.

Nut job? Why? Because he doesn't have the same outlook or remedies that fill your head?

What a sad and toxic way to think but go ahead and label away.
actually I think I made a mistake, it was some women running against out current mayor, she was a serious radical lib.

I like Sasse it was just a poor attempt at humor. Its not easy to do and the setting wasnt really appropriate either. The biggest issue we are facing is that the bar has been lowered politically so much since 2016 that simply speaking in coherent and semi-intelligent sentences is mistaken for competency. 2020 wont be any better. We can do much better but cant seem to get out of our own way.

Last edited:
I speak in front of high school students and their parents/teachers/administrators on a regular basis. I've learned that, at age 58, the last thing they're going to think of me is that I'm funny, no matter what I say.
Actually I think any one or two of his jokes (with the exception of the Jeremy thing) would have gone over just fine. He just went on too damn long, like a standup comedian dying on stage.

But, a whole lot worse gaffes have happened. I suspect it will soon be forgotten.

Actually I think any one or two of his jokes (with the exception of the Jeremy thing) would have gone over just fine. He just went on too damn long, like a standup comedian dying on stage.

But, a whole lot worse gaffes have happened. I suspect it will soon be forgotten.
Speaking to a group of people without the audience actually being there cant be easy either.You could be saying the funniest things ever but with zero crowd reaction its really tough.

Have higher standards for elected officials. We have one who constantly uses the vocabulary at about a 4th grade level (documented) and another who is so out of it they dont allow him to speak in public since getting the nomination. We can and should demand more of our elected officials.....Sasse included.

Trouble is the establishment - corporate media - has been electing our candidates and the people finally said enough, that's how you get Trump and Sanders. The Bushes/Clintons were the same side of the corporate media mafia.

Reactions: 8675309husker
Have higher standards for elected officials. We have one who constantly uses the vocabulary at about a 4th grade level (documented) and another who is so out of it they dont allow him to speak in public since getting the nomination. We can and should demand more of our elected officials.....Sasse included.
you dont know the be best words are.

I watched this last night. WOW. At least shave, button your shirt, sinch up your tie & put on a jacket. Give the kids the respect they deserve especially since that was your graduating school. He recovered a little bit at the end but it was a major fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT