ADVERTISEMENT

Beating Michigan State would...

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
be the highlight of the season and it would do wonders for the program. Right now, I've got 8-4 and the Huskers headed to San Diego again. Only this time, I got the Huskers winning there with a 9-4. Riley is 6-2 in bowl games.

My point is that any team trying to rise to the top of the ranks has to show recruits something, not just 90,000 crazy fans. This something will be the Michigan State game. If Riley wants to have any type of momentum going into next season, he needs to win this game (and a bowl game) IMO, for the future of next season and the program he is trying to build.

Look back at Baylor and RGIII in 2011. How did they get to where they are now? Beating a #5 Oklahoma team in 2011. Art Briles has taken that program from the ground up. Baylor has recruited extremely well ever since. In reference to this example, I think that by the time the Huskers get around to Sparty week, something tells me they can pull it off. Riley has done it before back at OSU against top 10 teams like Oregon, USC and Arizona. And contrary to popular belief, I may be crazy but I think the defense will improve enough to win. Connor Cook is great but he is not invincible. And keep in mind, that game is still a month and a half away. Plenty of time. All experienced linebackers will be back. Tommy, Westy and DPE are gonna have some fun that night. Memorial will be rocking. Call me crazy but I can see it happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hskerhd and arf_man
I see what your saying about Baylor. MSU as I see it is about 30/70 right now at best. DPE at 100% could make this season special, despite the 2-2 non conference record.

I would really like to see wins against Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, and Purdue first. There is just a lot of football to be played before I even want to think about Michigan State.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
MR has several signature wins on his resume. It's totally possible!

Look back at Baylor and RGIII in 2011. How did they get to where they are now? Beating a #5 Oklahoma team in 2011. Art Briles has taken that program from the ground up. Baylor has recruited extremely well ever since. .

I know Art Briles. Art Briles is a friend of mine. Mike Riley is no Art Briles.

I know Art Briles. Art Briles is a friend of mine. Mike Riley is no Art Briles.
And Thank God for that. Art Briles is the benefactor of some interesting recruiting success, and I don't for one second credit it to just hitting the streets harder than the other coaches. There is too much money flowing into that program and way too much sudden success in all major sports for me to buy that this little unknown school is now all of the sudden competing for championships in football, and men's and women's basketball with the caliber of players they are bringing in. I'm actually shocked probation hasn't hit that program yet.

I have to think the program has somehow distanced itself from some boosters who must be making this possible. I have no evidence, other than the fact that this type of accelerated success has almost never been seen before.

I'll take Mike Riley over Art Briles every day of the week.

And Thank God for that. Art Briles is the benefactor of some interesting recruiting success, and I don't for one second credit it to just hitting the streets harder than the other coaches. There is too much money flowing into that program and way too much sudden success in all major sports for me to buy that this little unknown school is now all of the sudden competing for championships in football, and men's and women's basketball with the caliber of players they are bringing in. I'm actually shocked probation hasn't hit that program yet.

I have to think the program has somehow distanced itself from some boosters who must be making this possible. I have no evidence, other than the fact that this type of accelerated success has almost never been seen before.

I'll take Mike Riley over Art Briles every day of the week.
If you are correct about Baylor, wouldn't you expect their recruiting classes to be ranked pretty high? Over the last four or five years they are 40 something in recruiting.

Reactions: huskerbux
You are dead on, Mich State would be a big win for us and could make this a lot better going into our bowl game and hopefully Big 10 champ game. Riley is know for his big upsets he manages to pull off, we have that type of coach. Top that off, we seem to usually play MSU very well, even under Bo. And MSU style of play matches our stengths on defense and offense. So far the biggeat concer to me this season is pass coverage defense. Under Bo we seemed better at pass defense but worsw at run defense. Niw it has seemed to flip. I wish we could have kept our pass defense to the same level as last year to this year. But then again, we are missing Gregory, he have tooken plays off but his presences alone demanded the Oline to double his way and leave Collins and Valentine singled. This year thay will be different.

MSU win would be great, but we have to be realistic. We have to play well against other teams and get wins. If we have a losing record, or a .500 record, that win diminishes in value in my opinion. I don't think we will have a losing record, or be .500, but with how we have played thus far, it is possible. If we finish with 8-9 wins and beat MSU, without any meltdown games, it's a huge win, and recruits will notice.

Briles is at the top of the list for potentially ruining college football...I absolutely hate the brand of football the Baylors and Oregons play...its awful to watch and barely real football

Reactions: FlintTown
You are dead on, Mich State would be a big win for us and could make this a lot better going into our bowl game and hopefully Big 10 champ game. Riley is know for his big upsets he manages to pull off, we have that type of coach. Top that off, we seem to usually play MSU very well, even under Bo. And MSU style of play matches our stengths on defense and offense. So far the biggeat concer to me this season is pass coverage defense. Under Bo we seemed better at pass defense but worsw at run defense. Niw it has seemed to flip. I wish we could have kept our pass defense to the same level as last year to this year. But then again, we are missing Gregory, he have tooken plays off but his presences alone demanded the Oline to double his way and leave Collins and Valentine singled. This year thay will be different.

This is a joke, right? You are either 6 years old or you are clowning us....

As far as his big wins are concerned..yes he has had some nice upset wins in his career...but don't forget he has lost to more than one FCS team...one of which was a 4-7 FCS team--so hopefully this staff takes it one game at a time.

A win over Michigan State could happen...but based off of what we have seen so far this season, it certainly does not look likely. To be honest, Nebraska doesn't need to upset Sparty to have a good season. Wiscy and Northwestern are likely toss up games. Michigan State is likely a loss and I_wa and Minnesota are likely wins...everyone else Nebraska plays sucks. So say Nebraska goes 1-1 in toss up games, has a loss to Sparty and beats who they should beat...that is 8-4 with a possible BIG champ game for national recognition and a bowl game to get to 9 wins. That would be a solid first season and would not hurt recruiting at all. Right now Nebraska is not selling a finished product...it is selling early playing time and a promising future.

Last edited:
be the highlight of the season and it would do wonders for the program. Right now, I've got 8-4 and the Huskers headed to San Diego again. Only this time, I got the Huskers winning there with a 9-4. Riley is 6-2 in bowl games.

My point is that any team trying to rise to the top of the ranks has to show recruits something, not just 90,000 crazy fans. This something will be the Michigan State game. If Riley wants to have any type of momentum going into next season, he needs to win this game (and a bowl game) IMO, for the future of next season and the program he is trying to build.

Look back at Baylor and RGIII in 2011. How did they get to where they are now? Beating a #5 Oklahoma team in 2011. Art Briles has taken that program from the ground up. Baylor has recruited extremely well ever since. In reference to this example, I think that by the time the Huskers get around to Sparty week, something tells me they can pull it off. Riley has done it before back at OSU against top 10 teams like Oregon, USC and Arizona. And contrary to popular belief, I may be crazy but I think the defense will improve enough to win. Connor Cook is great but he is not invincible. And keep in mind, that game is still a month and a half away. Plenty of time. All experienced linebackers will be back. Tommy, Westy and DPE are gonna have some fun that night. Memorial will be rocking. Call me crazy but I can see it happening.
I agree that a win vs Sparty would be big for the program and can happen. Don't ask me why but I think it's a good matchup however I don't want to lose a game that we should win in the process such as Illinois or Iowa. I think a sign of a good program in any sport is beating the teams you should in your average days and raising your game to another level against the elite teams.

Dantonio usually has MSU playing better in November than September. I'm hoping that the case again this year because so far we haven't played up to our playoff expectations. I think Nebraska would stand a better chance of pulling the upset if the game was earlier in the season.

As far as his big wins are concerned..yes he has had some nice upset wins in his career...but don't forget he has lost to more than one FCS team...one of which was a 4-7 FCS team--so hopefully this staff takes it one game at a time.

A win over Michigan State could happen...but based off of what we have seen so far this season, it certainly does not look likely. To be honest, Nebraska doesn't need to upset Sparty to have a good season. Wiscy and Northwestern are likely toss up games. Michigan State is likely a loss and I_wa and Minnesota are likely wins...everyone else Nebraska plays sucks. So say Nebraska goes 1-1 in toss up games, has a loss to Sparty and beats who they should beat...that is 8-4 with a possible BIG champ game for national recognition and a bowl game to get to 9 wins. That would be a solid first season and would not hurt recruiting at all. Right now Nebraska is not selling a finished product...it is selling early playing time and a promising future.

Pretty much exactly what I thought about recruiting. We aren't selling a finished product right now--only early playing time. Like you said, couple toss ups between Wisc and N'Western. Should be able to handle Iowa and Minnesota. 9-4 is my gut feeling too with a nice bowl win in either southern Cali or northern Florida.

Last edited:

We have a close to 0% chance of beating MSU. With our pass rush D, Cook will sit back and destroy our secondary all day long. Cook getting a bad flu is our only shot, even then their backup would only give us a 40% chance.

Utah showed that maybe Michigan State might not be as elite as everyone thought a few weeks ago. They haven't exactly blown the doors off people and Oregon isn't even ranked right now

Utah showed that maybe Michigan State might not be as elite as everyone thought a few weeks ago. They haven't exactly blown the doors off people and Oregon isn't even ranked right now

Sparty is flying high right now and rightfully so.

Their record and ranking is a testament to the overall excellence and mental toughness that Dantonio and his staff have instilled in MSU football.

However, some may be surprised to see how poorly Sparty is doing statistically:

Stat______________________________Rank_Value
Total Offense_____________________93___372.30
Rushing Offense___________________80___162.80
Passing Offense___________________84___209.50
Team_Passing Efficiency___________34___151.52
Scoring Offense___________________56____33.30
Total Defense_____________________77___395.80
Rushing Defense___________________32___118.80
Passing Yards Allowed____________107___277.00
Team Passing Efficiency Defense___86___136.18
Scoring Defense___________________46____20.80

It certainly surprised me and this against a soft schedule where their opponents sport a cumulative record of 6-9 with only 2 of those wins coming against FBS opponents.

Of course the only statistic that counts is 4-0 so if Sparty is getting a little extra love from the pollsters, I have no complaint as they have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Were Nebraska to face Sparty this weekend...in Lincoln...I would say the Huskers have a fair chance at a win.

But I think LRob hit it on the head with his thoughts on Spartan Football in September vs November.

Unfortunately for Nebraska November 7th is a long way away giving Dantonio plenty of time to work the kinks out (assuming he can with Narduzzi gone).

Go Blue!

Thread should be titled :

"Beating Illinois would....." No reason to look that far ahead at all. If Huskers lose to Illinois, Wisky, Minny and NW then beating Mich State means zip to recruits IMO.

Reactions: nebcountry
Briles is at the top of the list for potentially ruining college football...I absolutely hate the brand of football the Baylors and Oregons play...its awful to watch and barely real football

As everyone said about the triple option...its not ruining (mind you Im not a huge fan of it either) its evolving. Soon defenses will catch up to it and there will be a new offense that "ruins" college football

Art is lucky that Texas has stunk for 6-7 years.

And you think its just a coincidence that Texas has stunk while Baylor and TCU and A&M have gotten better?Its called outrecruiting from the same recruiting bed. Not sure Baylor is just "lucky" Texas is bad...they are 1/3 the reason they are bad.

I don't think 2011 Baylor is necessarily a great comparison to the 2015 Huskers. Nebraska is a blueblood program with history of national championships and heisman trophy winners that is struggling to find itself in 21st century college football. Baylor is an upstart program that sucked until all of this random money started pouring in. They have become too good too quickly in every major sport for me to believe they are doing it legally. If recruits are watching Mike Riley's team play they should be ecstatic to come and play for him. Quarterbacks especially. Riley has taken a self proclaimed "Running back that throws" and turned him into an all B10 QB candidate and if TA continues to progress over the next couple of years he in all likelihood will be drafted. Freshman are getting play early and often in an offense that actually transitions to the NFL and any high school recruit can see that they can come in and play right away on our defense. Riley is doing all the right things to bring the Huskers back to the top. The championships may not happen as quickly as everyone hoped but they will be here before we know it.

Thread should be titled :

"Beating Illinois would....." No reason to look that far ahead at all. If Huskers lose to Illinois, Wisky, Minny and NW then beating Mich State means zip to recruits IMO.

That's pretty much how I'm looking at it. I suppose if we're a 2-loss team and MSU is undefeated when that game rolls around, the game will have high interest.

There's been all kinds of threads concerning winning and recruiting. I think that winning can help recruiting, but it's not the end-all.

No i wasnt joking anyone and not 6 years old, im 35. Now i admit i see the positives and not the extreme worst like most on here do.
I look at what he has pulled off compared to his worst case games. So far i see a strong run defense and a pour pass defense. I also an improvement in Armstrong when it comes to the pass game and a nice drop off in are running game but i expexted that because i never expected any of our backs to be Abdullah or even close to him.
When it comes to that MSU game IN LINCOLN i think Tommy the gamer he is and being a huge stage the rest of the team SHOULD but fired up, on there game and ready to roll. And yes i think Riley will have a good plan layed out for the team and with all the hype going into the game (assuming we win games like we are suppose to that is), our boys and FANS will be ready. I honestly love our chances against a pro style QB and there running game.

Obviously I didn't quite get the record correct but this post and people who posted were spot on! Also, who knew Io_a would be undefeated? Let's get the next 2 games!! One at a time everyone!! GBR!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT