ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball: This board versus huskermax

Husker Husker

Jul 27, 2018
I don't get the negativty for Erstad. Huskermax is the exact opposite. Isnt it supposed to be we'll all stick together in all kinds of weather?

This board doesn't support baseball at all, i don't understand. HM has a way different outlook, why? because its a pay board?

their is a guy on there, shortside option, who always explains why the deck is against erstad winning in the big 10, and it makes sense. can't we give the guy a break? He IS a former husker.

winning in this conference is tough to do, why not cheer them on instead of cut them down?

I don't get the negativty for Erstad. Huskermax is the exact opposite. Isnt it supposed to be we'll all stick together in all kinds of weather?

This board doesn't support baseball at all, i don't understand. HM has a way different outlook, why? because its a pay board?

their is a guy on there, shortside option, who always explains why the deck is against erstad winning in the big 10, and it makes sense. can't we give the guy a break? He IS a former husker.

winning in this conference is tough to do, why not cheer them on instead of cut them down?

You could always join Huskermax and have a discussion with him directly. Winking

You are saying that if someone is questioning the coach they cutting him down. Is that not saying they are not fans? Cause that is what that means to me! Maybe I am wrong. Will not be the first time!

Why is winning in this conference tough to do? I'm not necessarily arguing with you, but obviously the Big 10 is not considered much of a baseball conference.

Perhaps most people on this board prefer to look at Erstad’s performance objectively. If you would rather hang out with slobbering fanboys who go weak in the knees at the sight of his World Series ring, who’s stopping you? There are plenty of them to be found.

I have a hard time lowering expectations for a coach because he is a former Husker. I like Erstad. I like Husker Baseball. I don't like that we have trouble hitting the baseball, we don't play great defense and we may not make the tournament. I don't like going 0-2 at the Big Ten Tournament, 0-2 or 1-2 in a regional, if we even qualify.

Call me spoiled but I believe the right coach can make any school a winner. Oregon St is not a Baseball Meca, Nebraska pre-Van Horn was not known for baseball, but somehow he consistently had us playing at the highest level and we improved while he was here. I don't see the same improvement and I wonder how many years would we give a coach not named Erstad? 7 would seem to be enough to me.

Obvious question-if the B1G recruiting rules are hurting Erstad so much, why aren't they hurting other teams in the B1G who are beating his teams on a regular basis and going to regionals(and actually winning once in awhile)? Look at a guy like Rick Heller at Iowa who has thoroughly dominated Erstad since he's been there. Imagine what a guy like that could do at a place like Nebraska that actually gives a crap about baseball?

Last edited:

How is the deck stacked against him in the big10? All the big10 schools have the same restrictions, so that argument holds no weight in conference.

and that world series ring is impressive. can't say that i go weak in the knees, but slobber, yep, done that when he let me wear it at a event

.258 team batting average at last check. He apparently replaced himself as hitting coach, which is good, but he did it with Curtis Ledbetter as a volunteer with, to my knowledge, no experience outside of director of ops. If a coach replaces a very good assistant (Will Bolt) with himself, fails at it, then replaces himself with somebody who is, to be fair, probably not qualified, he would probably be removed from almost any other job in the world.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
tenor.gif

Too bad Mike Riley wasn’t a Husker through-and-through. He could have let groupies touch his Grey Cup and had a job for life.

(Note: I did capitalize “Grey Cup” but the way this thread is going it would have worked either way.)

I actually think Erstad has done quite well considering he had never been a coach before he got hired by his former coach. However, I don't even think he's a good coach, he's a bad one. Nebraska was competing for XII championships and going deep in the post season when Van Horn and Childress were here. Once Childress left we cratered with Mike Anderson. However, we still had the infrastructure, facilities and fanbase to be a top 25 college baseball program. Yet here we are season after season, year after year hoping the team gets hot in the B1G tournament so we can be a 4th place seed in a regional. Now that Moos has dealt with Riley and Miles, Erstad should be next on the chopping block.

This team is 23-16 and on pace to win 28 or 29 games in the regular season. Without a major run in the B10 tourney(or possibly even winning it) they are in danger of missing a regional again. They have a couple series left against ASU and Michigan to make a statement to end the regular season. I was underwhelmed when Osborne went on the cheap to hire Erstad and I’m still not convinced he is going to get it done here. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
This team is 23-16 and on pace to win 28 or 29 games in the regular season. Without a major run in the B10 tourney(or possibly even winning it) they are in danger of missing a regional again. They have a couple series left against ASU and Michigan to make a statement to end the regular season. I was underwhelmed when Osborne went on the cheap to hire Erstad and I’m still not convinced he is going to get it done here. Hope he proves me wrong.

Osborne going cheap to hire a mediocre coach. Shocker!

Here's how I look at Erstad specifically.... forget what I think or what any other fan thinks. Let's speculate on how Erstad himself thinks about the job he's doing. Me? I say there's no way he feels good about where our baseball program is. I keep waiting for him to seek to a mutual parting of the ways.

Reactions: tdierberger
I don’t hate Erstad, I just didn’t see where he was even remotely qualified for the job, except he played college ball at nu and was a pro player, he had no prior coaching experience except the one year he was a volunteer, and imo it’s showing

Too bad Mike Riley wasn’t a Husker through-and-through. He could have let groupies touch his Grey Cup and had a job for life.

(Note: I did capitalize “Grey Cup” but the way this thread is going it would have worked either way.)
Mike Riley never got anywhere close to winning any kind of conference title. Erstad won one 2 years ago.

Reactions: saluno22
Mike Riley never got anywhere close to winning any kind of conference title. Erstad won one 2 years ago.
Mike Riley made a bowl game in 2 of 3 seasons.
Darin Erstad has made the NCAA tournament in just 3 of 7 completed seasons.

Also, Big Ten football and baseball are apples and oranges.

EDIT: Erstad also caught a few scheduling breaks when he won the regular season conference title. In that sense, football and baseball are similar.

I don’t hate Erstad, I just didn’t see where he was even remotely qualified for the job, except he played college ball at nu and was a pro player, he had no prior coaching experience except the one year he was a volunteer, and imo it’s showing

Thing is, there’s like 9000 D1 baseball jobs. There’s plenty of Erstads outs there, though they likely don’t have as much MLB experience.

We are in our 8th year in the BiG TeN.
Over the last 7 years, we have one 1 conference championship and no tournament championships.
That's 1 out of 14.

Year - Conference - Tournament
2012 Purdue (NU-4th), Purdue (NU: 1-2)
2013 Indiana (NU- 3rd), Indiana (NU: 4-2, runner-up)
2014 Indiana (NU-2nd), Indiana (NU: 3-1, runner-up)
2015 Illinois (NU-8th), Michigan (NU: 0-2)
2016 Minnesota (NU-2nd), Ohio State (NU: 0-2)
2017 Nebraska (NU-1st), Iowa (NU : 1-2)
2018 Minnesota (NU-10th), Minnesota (NU: N/A)

SSO says that we have dominated the conference the past six years. I'm not seeing it.

And followed up that backdoor championship with a 1-4 postseason record that included 2 loses to Ivy League schools, which don’t give out athletic scholarships. Then he rode that momentum to a 10th place conference finish and no postseason the next year.

Other than wowing boosters with his World Series ring, is there any aspect of coaching at which Erstad actually excels? Recruiting? Player development? In-game management?

I don't really view him as above average at any of these tasks, but he's still a dadgum good coach. Because he is. So there.

I do give Erstad credit for scheduling quality opponents. In that respect, he isn't completely following the John Sanders this-is-my-job-for-life model.

So I watched the Fyre documentary on Netflix, and to me it seems as if Husker Husker is what we call in social media circles and "Influencer".

Erstad is a good guy, and I want him to be successful. But he hasn't been.

If the goal is to win 35 games, finish 3rd in a garbage conference, and lose in a regional, then mission accomplished.

Unfortunately, Nebraska invested a ton of money in facilities when DVH was here, and the ROI has been poor since DVH left.

In seven years, how many of Erstad's players have played a single game of MLB? Answer, ZERO. He hasn't even had a guy back in by accident. That says to me he's not recruiting guys who can play, and he's not developing them into potential pros.

Is it harder to recruit to the Big Ten than the Big XII? Of course it is. Texas players aren't going to have a set number of games within driving distance of Mom and Dad. Nebraska no longer has guaranteed series with baseball royalty like Texas every year. The respect isn't there. But rather than dominate the worthless Big Ten, he's getting dominated by it. It's pathetic.

Van Horn is one of the best college coaches of the last 30 years. He fell into our lap and then left us...we are a northern school with awful weather for 40% of the year...our regional kids only play baseball from March 15th through August 15th...and then they play other sports. Baseball is a repetition sport and needs full year round attention...florida, cali and the southern states not only have the climate but the player base to build a full baseball roster full of elite talent...Nebraska can no longer do it...

Van Horn is one of the best college coaches of the last 30 years. He fell into our lap and then left us...we are a northern school with awful weather for 40% of the year...our regional kids only play baseball from March 15th through August 15th...and then they play other sports. Baseball is a repetition sport and needs full year round attention...florida, cali and the southern states not only have the climate but the player base to build a full baseball roster full of elite talent...Nebraska can no longer do it...
I always LOL at defeatist posts like this. If the admin would have attitudes like this, we may as well pack it up and shut down baseball here. Are we at a disadvantage? Yes we are, but it doesn’t mean we just stop trying. And BTW, most kids that are serious about baseball play more than March-August. Most play fall baseball into October and then go indoors during the winter for cage and station work. Most are touching a baseball year around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT