ADVERTISEMENT

Bama lost its 5 star QB

I mean to people NOT from the South, West Virginia is total hillbilly country but to people FROM the South I am guessing it is not "southern"

Kansas is another interesting one. I send a lot of students to KU and they like the "Southern" feel to it. I don't really look at KU as all that "south"

Reactions: rgrachek
People think it's cool to be southern these days. Probably because country music singers think you have to be from the south to be country. Which is funny in itself because alot, maybe even the majority, of country singers are from cities that are larger than the middle of the country even has.

So, just to be clear:

A) You think the majority of people in the South view someone from West Virginia the same way they view someone from South Dakota? (Not to mention, one who won a NC at LSU and one who never won a NC and the closest he's ever come to coaching in the South is Indiana).

B) You think having two 5 star QBs on your roster is worse than having just one?

That's the context of this conversation and I just want to give you a chance to clarify.
I'm not sure you're capable of being clear, so hear goes anyway:

Yes, many many people in the South (i.e. the former confederate states) consider anyone from north of these confederate states as a Yankee. I've lived in the South for 30 years, and have experienced this attitude countless times, both personally and in the old institutions from 30 years ago to this day. Just because you don't want to believe something doesn't make it not true.

For God's sake, I still see klansmen from time to time here raising money for their charity. A guy in Kennesaw owns a Civil War Surplus store and has a sign out in front celebrating "White History Year". You can't see that unless you live here, and if you live here and don't see that, then you have your head in a hole. Now, to be CLEAR, most people down here who consider you a Yankee are OK with you being here and are friendly, but they still identify you as such. I have a friend I coached with from West Virginia who played at the University of West Virginia, and some people here call him a Yankee.

2nd, TO BE CLEAR, there's nothing wrong with having 2 five star QBs on your team (one older and one younger). What I said was that having 2 five star QBs coming in as freshmen the same year wouldn't work out because a five star player wants to be the guy and be the guy early. If that were to occur, one will always leave to play somewhere else. You think it would be good for an NFL team to have Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen on the same team? How about Joe Montana and Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Roger Staubach? It's a non-issue today and what I said above is why.

The advantage to your team of having a GREAT QB on the bench is marginal and only works in the event of major injury to the starter. Also, the "GREAT" backup gets minimal reps in practice once the season starts, making him not as "GREAT". No five star QB wants to be an insurance policy.

West Virginia literally left Virginia to be on the Union side.
So you’ve been to WV? You’ve talked to folks there? You don’t get a lot of “yankee pride” there man. I’m well aware of WV’s textbook role in the civil war. But ppl there are quite a bit more culturally aligned with the south than the north

Reactions: huskerfan66
I'm not sure you're capable of being clear, so hear goes anyway:

Yes, many many people in the South (i.e. the former confederate states) consider anyone from north of these confederate states as a Yankee. I've lived in the South for 30 years, and have experienced this attitude countless times, both personally and in the old institutions from 30 years ago to this day. Just because you don't want to believe something doesn't make it not true.

For God's sake, I still see klansmen from time to time here raising money for their charity. A guy in Kennesaw owns a Civil War Surplus store and has a sign out in front celebrating "White History Year". You can't see that unless you live here, and if you live here and don't see that, then you have your head in a hole. Now, to be CLEAR, most people down here who consider you a Yankee are OK with you being here and are friendly, but they still identify you as such. I have a friend I coached with from West Virginia who played at the University of West Virginia, and some people here call him a Yankee.

2nd, TO BE CLEAR, there's nothing wrong with having 2 five star QBs on your team (one older and one younger). What I said was that having 2 five star QBs coming in as freshmen the same year wouldn't work out because a five star player wants to be the guy and be the guy early. If that were to occur, one will always leave to play somewhere else. You think it would be good for an NFL team to have Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen on the same team? How about Joe Montana and Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Roger Staubach? It's a non-issue today and what I said above is why.

The advantage to your team of having a GREAT QB on the bench is marginal and only works in the event of major injury to the starter. Also, the "GREAT" backup gets minimal reps in practice once the season starts, making him not as "GREAT". No five star QB wants to be an insurance policy.

1) I get all of that. But you didn't really answer my question, did you? Very few people in Alabama are looking down at Saban for being a damn yankee, whereas I can see several doing so with someone like DeBoer. Again, context of the thread.

2) So, no benefit to a team in having 2 five stars compete with one another and letting the cream rise to the top? You know, keeping the better of the two and letting the lesser of the two transfer? Call me crazy, but that would seem better for the team than rolling the dice with one guy and having all your eggs in that basket.

3) You're getting awfully wound up about a kid, from California mind you, who didn't say anything about Alabama's new "yankee" coach. Settle down. And maybe try to use a little more common sense when you post and talk shit to other posters.

1) I get all of that. But you didn't really answer my question, did you? Very few people in Alabama are looking down at Saban for being a damn yankee, whereas I can see several doing so with someone like DeBoer. Again, context of the thread.

2) So, no benefit to a team in having 2 five stars compete with one another and letting the cream rise to the top? You know, keeping the better of the two and letting the lesser of the two transfer? Call me crazy, but that would seem better for the team than rolling the dice with one guy and having all your eggs in that basket.

3) You're getting awfully wound up about a kid, from California mind you, who didn't say anything about Alabama's new "yankee" coach. Settle down. And maybe try to use a little more common sense when you post and talk shit to other posters.
1) How do you know who's looking down at who? Did you do a poll and determine that more people have called him a Yankee than Saban? Your opinion is based on "what you can see" and no one knows what that means. What facts make you see that Deboer is an unwelcome Yankee? Did you read an article where someone was quoted calling him a Yankee and from that you base your whole thesis?

2) Dude, this is getting hysterical. Give me an example during the last 10 years where a team brought in 2 or more five star QB freshman the same year and they battled it out over an extended period of time to be the starter. If the Alabama commitment were to be signed by Nebraska tomorrow, DR would be in the portal the next day. All of these type of players have agreements when they're being recruited now.

You might as well ask "wouldn't it be best if Iran and Israel would would just fairly compete and work together for a collective better future"? The answer to that question is obviously "YES", but the problem is that it's NEVER going to happen.

3) Don't really know what the hell you're talking about. I was making a general comment that refuted the claim that people in the south don't act a certain way anymore. What I was saying is completely removed from the fake comment allegedly from the recruit.

BTW, It's unclear what "question" I didn't answer. Man, you're kind of approaching douche territory here with your responses, kind of like the guy in Office Space who wanted more flair.

So you’ve been to WV? You’ve talked to folks there? You don’t get a lot of “yankee pride” there man. I’m well aware of WV’s textbook role in the civil war. But ppl there are quite a bit more culturally aligned with the south than the north
This is pretty accurate.

There is a difference from "fighting for the North" 180 years ago...and current day hillybillyness.

WV is more similar to SW/Eastern Ohio and Western PA than anything in the South.
Oh I am not arguing that at all. I am just saying that to most people in the "north" WV is hillbilly country.

Just like people from the northeast think that Nebraska is a bunch of necks and farmers.

Oh I am not arguing that at all. I am just saying that to most people in the "north" WV is hillbilly country.

Just like people from the northeast think that Nebraska is a bunch of necks and farmers.

Hate to break it to you, but so do people from the south....

WV is full of uneducated hillbillies. Yes some of the cities probably have some excellent people as does every state. WV however, along with MS and Bama typically rank at the bottom of most everything good in this country.

WV is full of uneducated hillbillies. Yes some of the cities probably have some excellent people as does every state. WV however, along with MS and Bama typically rank at the bottom of most everything good in this country.
California has lowest literacy rate in the United States and New York is right behind at #2.

Reactions: baseball31ne
California has lowest literacy rate in the United States and New York is right behind at #2.
Close, but not accurate according to this:

When I was a kid we lived in Colorado for a number of years. We drove to Orlando to go to Disney when I was 12.

We stopped somewhere in Georgia to get gas. The pump wasn't turning on. My Dad asked me to go inside to ask the clerk to turn on the pump.

I'll never forget it. Probably a 350 lb woman behind the counter sitting on a stool. Greasy grey hair pulled back in a pony tail. Looked like she had just got done eating a lemon. Asked her to turn on the pump.

"I seen you pull in and it's stayin off. You goddamn Yankees can get your gas somewhere else. Git out of here now!"

Okey dokey. I never knew I was a Yankee, but I got out of there. Now.

Went out and told my Dad. He went back in. Came out about 15 seconds later and he was red and lathered up. Don't know what was said exactly, but we did, in fact, get our gas somewhere else.
Nicest people in the US live in the South….from Texas to Fl and up thru the Carolinas. I’m a brown guy with property in the reddest county in FL. Where they still fly the Stars and Bars. Never a single issue….unlike what I hit in Northeastern or out West. The longer I live the more it’s apparent the wrong side won.

Nicest people in the US live in the South….from Texas to Fl and up thru the Carolinas. I’m a brown guy with property in the reddest county in FL. Where they still fly the Stars and Bars. Never a single issue….unlike what I hit in Northeastern or out West. The longer I live the more it’s apparent the wrong side won.
You are a brown guy who thinks the side who wanted slavery should have won? The side that executed freed slaves who fought for the North?

rhule did good with the portal..
I would of probably got a 5 star rb instead of a 4 star..
and I would have probably got that A&M d-lineman to go with 0 and 9..
but hindsight is 20/20

Close, but not accurate according to this:

Nope California and New York have been last for quite awhile now.

• Wow
Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Nope California and New York have been last for quite awhile now.
Send me a link that refutes this?

This was easy to find, dated 2023, and if you bothered to look, very deep in details.

One thing I found surprising was Alaska at #2, as literates, I knew I was, but am proud.
California last, New York 7th. New Mexico #2
Both surprising as well until you account for immigration.

Alabama, and Mississippi, right at bottom as well, West Virginia is 16th worse, If I did my math right.

What are you trying to say anyway?

You proved you do not have a real clue about what you are talking about.

Probabaly from California.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Send me a link that refutes this?

This was easy to find, dated 2023, and if you bothered to look, very deep in details.

One thing I found surprising was Alaska at #2, as literates, I knew I was, but am proud.
California last, New York 7th. New Mexico #2
Both surprising as well until you account for immigration.

Alabama, and Mississippi, right at bottom as well, West Virginia is 16th worse, If I did my math right.

What are you trying to say anyway?

You proved you do not have a real clue about what you are talking about.

Probabaly from California.

Literacy Rates by State 2024

I’m not @nick614 but here’s one that confirms his claim.

Yep same with Kentucky

If tOSU already has a 5 star QB signed, why would another 5-star QB want to go there?
The one who gets beat out will probably transfer out. Ohio State had cj stroud and Kyle McCord yet top rated recruit quin ewers still went there. When he realized he wasn't going to play he went to Texas

Because people are notoriously bad decision makers? I agree, it makes no sense.
It's about competition. Ohio State did the same thing with Stroud, Ewers, and Jack Miller three years ago. Yes they will lose one, but with what happened this past year, they learned you can't just expect a five star to succeed. BTW it worked for them with Fields as well. Despite already having 5 star Tate Martell.

Alabama, Georgia, Texas, USC, and Oregon do this as well. Don't tell me you forgot about how Nebraska was so dominant back in the day. Yesterday's preferred walk-on is today's transfer portal. Iron sharpens iron. Get the best to compete, you pick who wins. Let the loser move on. Yeah you lose talent, but you get to see that talent first hand.

It's about competition. Ohio State did the same thing with Stroud, Ewers, and Jack Miller three years ago. Yes they will lose one, but with what happened this past year, they learned you can't just expect a five star to succeed. BTW it worked for them with Fields as well. Despite already having 5 star Tate Martell.

Alabama, Georgia, Texas, USC, and Oregon do this as well. Don't tell me you forgot about how Nebraska was so dominant back in the day. Yesterday's preferred walk-on is today's transfer portal. Iron sharpens iron. Get the best to compete, you pick who wins. Let the loser move on. Yeah you lose talent, but you get to see that talent first hand.
I think you misunderstood me. It makes no sense for the players. Team? Absolutely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT