ADVERTISEMENT

Babcock recalling California recruiting..

I remember dad taking me to my first corn husker game in 71. I was out of school and building my cow herd up while working for dad. We finished weaning calves and for all my hard work dad took me to the ball game. Terrio was a man among boys and my faverite player.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Why isn't Nebraska hitting JUCO's harder these days? Maybe it is the fact that I binge-watched "Last Chance U." last week, but I have been wondering about that.

Nebraska won championships with the help of some Prop 48, partial-qualifier, JUCO-transfer types who normally wouldn't have gotten in the front door the traditional way. With the NCAA sliding-scale qualification standards, the non- and partial-qualifiers are no longer an option.

Moving from the Big XII to the Big Ten, Nebraska suddenly makes home far away from some of its traditional recruiting locations. Recruits from Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas knew their parents would be able to see them at least once a year in the home state. That has shifted to the B1G footprint, but recruiting has yet to take off there.

Which leads me back to the JUCO's. Obviously they're not a cure-all, and with only two years on campus, they have to be physically and mentally ready to play right away. Still, we obviously have some talent gaps that potentially been filled with JUCO transfers. Why is Nebraska suddenly too good for them?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT