ADVERTISEMENT

Is California recruiting all but over?

3fingershomer

Walk On
Feb 8, 2022
Certainly don’t know the history of every future coach on HCMR’s staff at this point, but will the emphasis on Texas HS recruiting come at the expense of any footprint established in the past in the state of California?
Might this be a ROI scenario? Hope we keep a major presence in AZ though.

Reactions: Wasker77
I doubt it's over but it sounds like their focus will be the central part of the US, Mostly Big 10 country with forays into the northeast and Florida. Im sure they will still try to pull the top targets no matter where they are. But MR made reference to visits being multiple schools in one state in one day. That tells me that they will be investing a lot of time building relationships in particular states amongst a lot of the major schools and their coaches. Texas being one of them.

I know in Nebraska UNL recruiting has been abysmal. That is about to change.

The number has waxed and waned, but there are always at least a few CA kids on the roster. A number of all-time type guys are from Cali.

It's possible to get spread too thin. Pick your spots and mine them for gold. I don't think you ignore an area completely, but you also need to spend your time where it's going to produce results. For example, let's say you have five kids in the roster from Dallas-Fort Worth. That carries weight with other prospects

The number has waxed and waned, but there are always at least a few CA kids on the roster. A number of all-time type guys are from Cali.
The Mike Riley era ruined CA recruiting for me. Seemed like so many soft, prima dona recruits who didn't like to work hard. Lazy. My impression of CA recruits is negative, West Coast, 'can't you just give me the starting position', vibes. I can think of so, so many flame-outs.

Get me some names, refresh my memory on top CA recruits in the last, let's say, 10 years.... or before I guess. Trip down memory lane here....

The Mike Riley era ruined CA recruiting for me. Seemed like so many soft, prima dona recruits who didn't like to work hard. Lazy. My impression of CA recruits is negative, West Coast, 'can't you just give me the starting position', vibes. I can think of so, so many flame-outs.

Get me some names, refresh my memory on top CA recruits in the last, let's say, 10 years.... or before I guess. Trip down memory lane here....
I will start. Some are more than 10 years for sure. T.Mart. Marlon Lucky. A.Mart, ..........

No, maybe not this year but I think the addition of USC and UCLA to the B1G means California recruiting is NOT over.
Hopefully true RedCap. Absolutely would be a mistake not to recruit CA, playing games out there should revive our CA recruiting. Coaches can tell families we will play out here & you'll be able to attend without going out of state.

personally, I think Utah is a hotbed just based on HS Rugby talent alone......similar to Nor CAL, but more who may come here vs the cali kids.

Great names. Yes, thinking back that far. Great talent.
I was born in Nebraska but grew up in Southern California. When I was in high school back in the 90s, there were three big schools that all the players wanted to go to across the Southland: USC, UCLA and NU. Special mention to Notre Dame.

I feel like a lot of people today don't realize there used to be an absolute pipeline of talent from SoCal to Nebraska. All you have to do is go look at NU's rosters in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Ya know, when Nebraska was one of the premiere programs in the country.

Reactions: BleedRed78
personally, I think Utah is a hotbed just based on HS Rugby talent alone......similar to Nor CAL, but more who may come here vs the cali kids.
ef8.jpg

Reactions: leodisflowers
International Recruiting Strategy:

Send Mickey Joseph to Samoa, Tonga and Fiji and hand out free Husker gear and $$$$.

Let's get the Pacific Islanders pipeline going.

Reactions: Anegada1

TMart, Roy, Quincy E, Cam Meredith, Damion Stafford as some recent guys. An all time CA set of starters is here.

SoCal, Texas, Fla, GA, anywhere with a metro bursting with yutes. And of course the backyard.

Certainly don’t know the history of every future coach on HCMR’s staff at this point, but will the emphasis on Texas HS recruiting come at the expense of any footprint established in the past in the state of California?
Might this be a ROI scenario? Hope we keep a major presence in AZ though.
No. Starts back up Dec 5th

I was born in Nebraska but grew up in Southern California. When I was in high school back in the 90s, there were three big schools that all the players wanted to go to across the Southland: USC, UCLA and NU. Special mention to Notre Dame.

I feel like a lot of people today don't realize there used to be an absolute pipeline of talent from SoCal to Nebraska. All you have to do is go look at NU's rosters in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Ya know, when Nebraska was one of the premiere programs in the country.
When you win, that is what happens. That's why my initial question was last ten years as that's been an awful stretch all around. But yes, all time, we had kids all over who wanted to be here, maybe that was even before scholarship limits.

Nebraska has always got good recruits from the West. Going back to Bob Devaney days.

With USC and UCLA entering the conference I would think the Cali footprint would increase since NU will have games here probably every year. We'll see.
Yes, and their families and friends can see them play every week on BTN. 😎

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT