ADVERTISEMENT

B1G quarterfinals Nebraska MBB +4.5 vs Michigan

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
This is what it all boils down to. Many here and nationally say Nebraska needs this win and maybe more to get into the tourney. Some (me) say they’re already in.

Hopefully we won’t have to find out as the Huskers leave this important Matchup with a win.

In my opinion, Nebraska’s performance against Michigan the first time around was no fluke. I saw Beilien was commenting that they gave up early and pulled starters when it was apparent they wouldn’t win. I think he was trying to get the team to believe it was their choice to lose by 20 instead of owning that Nebraska just drilled them.

I’m calling for another, though tighter victory for the Huskers. I’ll be there.

In my opinion, Nebraska’s performance against Michigan the first time around was no fluke. I saw Beilien was commenting that they gave up early and pulled starters when it was apparent they wouldn’t win. I think he was trying to get the team to believe it was their choice to lose by 20 instead of owning that Nebraska just drilled them.
I didn't take Beilien's comments that way at all. I think he essentially said, "We played a lot of really good teams this season and the only one who truly put a lopsided ass-whipping on us was Nebraska."

I don't think he was suggesting that the score was lopsided because he gave up and pulled his starters. He was just making the point that it was the only game all season in which he threw in the towel. The discussion was on whether Nebraska is a tournament-worthy team, and he was helping make the case.

In 1994. NU entered the Big 8 tournament as a bubble team, needing to at least beat OU in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament, and maybe two wins to secure their spot in the NCAA tournament.

The beat OU that day; #3 Missouri the next day; and the Big 8 title against OSU the next.

That’s how you get off the damn bubble!

In 1994. NU entered the Big 8 tournament as a bubble team, needing to at least beat OU in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament, and maybe two wins to secure their spot in the NCAA tournament.

The beat OU that day; #3 Missouri the next day; and the Big 8 title against OSU the next.

The Missouri game will live in infamy as the day Danny Nee dropped an F-bomb on Norm Stewart at the scorer's table. Even if Nee had accomplished nothing else at Nebraska, that cemented his place in NU basketball lore.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I don’t remember the f bomb story - do tell.
Can't remember the exact circumstances, but...

Norm clearly went into the tournament thinking the officials would give him the same star treatment he had received all season, and he was was outraged that the crew that day seemed to be calling an even-handed game. He confronted a couple of the refs near the scorer's table to give them a good stern finger-wagging, and after a few minutes Nee came over to join the discussion. Norm must have told him to go back to the bench (or something like that), and Danny - with the TV camera squarely on him - said, "Eff you, Norm!"

Watching the Wisconsin Vs Michigan state game...boy I hope the officiating doesn’t influence Nebraska’s game like this. Wisconsin is getting hosed and I fear the same could happen to Nebraska

Considering the calls that Wisky got for the last 20 years...I am okay with them getting jobbed a bit.

Watching the Wisconsin Vs Michigan state game...boy I hope the officiating doesn’t influence Nebraska’s game like this. Wisconsin is getting hosed and I fear the same could happen to Nebraska
The second foul on Happ was a ticky tack call, but the two calls on Davison were absolutely correct. There's no way either was an offensive foul.

The foul in the post on the wisky big man was the worst and most game changing. The first blocking foul was absolutely a charge and a no call at worst. The MSU guard lowered his shoulder and initiated the contact. The second one...debatable and I wouldn’t have had a problem with it if the first hadn’t happened.

The foul in the post on the wisky big man was the worst and most game changing. The first blocking foul was absolutely a charge and a no call at worst. The MSU guard lowered his shoulder and initiated the contact. The second one...debatable and I wouldn’t have had a problem with it if the first hadn’t happened.
I would have been okay with either of them being a no-call. But just because Davison flops to the floor and then squeals about the call afterward, it doesn't mean a charge should have been called.

I agree that either could have been a no call but a blocking foul on the first one was absurd IMO. Contact initiated by MSU, so even if it’s a flop how is it a blocking foul?

The Big Ten should want us to win, to potentially get a 5th team in the tournament

I agree that either could have been a no call but a blocking foul on the first one was absurd IMO. Contact initiated by MSU, so even if it’s a flop how is it a blocking foul?
I didn't think Davison had good enough position to get a charge call on that play, but I agree that a no-call would have been more appropriate. In general I wish more flops were treated as no-calls. We would likely see fewer of them if the professional floppers know they are taking themselves out of an active play.

My memory is fading but IIRC, we won that OU game like 115-110 in OT after overcoming a huge deficit at the end of regulation. Ahhh the early 90s Nee years, good times.

My memory is fading but IIRC, we won that OU game like 115-110 in OT after overcoming a huge deficit at the end of regulation. Ahhh the early 90s Nee years, good times.
Different year. That was the 1991 team that finished 2nd to Missouri in the conference tourney and earned a #3 seed in the NCAAs. I believe the 1994 team did beat OU in the first round, but it was in less dramatic fashion.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Different year. That was the 1991 team that finished 2nd to Missouri in the conference tourney and earned a #3 seed in the NCAAs. I believe the 1994 team did beat OU in the first round, but it was in less dramatic fashion.

Cool, thanks for helping my remembrance. I was younger back then. :D

The first call on Davison absolutely should have been a charge call. When an offensive player lowers the shoulder and initiates contact it is an auto charge. Not sure how anyone can see that play differently. The second one was probably correct but also could have been a no call!

Can't remember the exact circumstances, but...

Norm clearly went into the tournament thinking the officials would give him the same star treatment he had received all season, and he was was outraged that the crew that day seemed to be calling an even-handed game. He confronted a couple of the refs near the scorer's table to give them a good stern finger-wagging, and after a few minutes Nee came over to join the discussion. Norm must have told him to go back to the bench (or something like that), and Danny - with the TV camera squarely on him - said, "Eff you, Norm!"

"SIT DOWN, NORM!!" was a staple chant at the Devaney Center.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Yeah, the Badgers just can't get a break from this crew.

We look terrified out there. We beat them by 20 last game good grief

We see the advantage of having played the day before. Michigan is already up to speed. NU looks like they normally do in the conference tournament

Reactions: TheNewNU
Awful start but only down 6. Plenty of time to right the ship.

This will become a blowout, unless we start making bunnies. These misses at the rim are unreal.

This will become a blowout, unless we start making bunnies. These misses at the rim are unreal.
No kidding. Making those shots a lot tougher than they need to be. No need to shoot a teardrop when there's no defender - just make a layup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT