ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Baseball Tournament

Bolt idiocy strikes again. Why you bunting Columbus in that situation

Seems like a 50-50 call on bunt vs hit away. No reason to think the game is going to be anything but a pitcher’s duel. First chance to get a run and tie it up would give NU more options in later innings. If the decision is to try to get 1 run, a coach can’t wait for the best bunters to be at the plate. A ground ball if hitting away results in an inning ending DP. It backfired, but was a reasonable strategy.

Last edited:
Not a fan of this move. If NU needed to win to make a regional, or to secure a better seed - sure. Just not enough on the line here to play this card.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Sharpe says he would throw in the bullpen either way.
Oh sure. I’m not screaming “Bolt is nuts and should be canned!” I just wouldn’t have done it, because if a couple of runners reach and the inning gets extended, you have to go get him.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Bullshit. Big 10 tourney

Sharpe says he would throw in the bullpen either way.
I completely get the other side of the argument. The issue is you are going to throw much harder in a game with adrenaline flowing than you would in a bullpen session with no crowd or batter. Sears admitted he didn’t have his best stuff on Wednesday and his velocity was down. Big picture, it’s more important that he is fresh for next weekend. But again, I understand those who think winning the title today was more important. Tough decision and hopefully I am completely wrong.

I completely get the other side of the argument. The issue is you are going to throw much harder in a game with adrenaline flowing than you would in a bullpen session with no crowd or batter. Sears admitted he didn’t have his best stuff on Friday and his velocity was down. Big picture, it’s more important that he is fresh for next weekend. But again, I understand those who think winning the title today was more important. Tough decision and hopefully I am completely wrong.
At least he only threw 13 pitches and wasn’t stressed by any baserunners. Shouldn’t affect his next performance

I completely get the other side of the argument. The issue is you are going to throw much harder in a game with adrenaline flowing than you would in a bullpen session with no crowd or batter. Sears admitted he didn’t have his best stuff on Wednesday and his velocity was down. Big picture, it’s more important that he is fresh for next weekend. But again, I understand those who think winning the title today was more important. Tough decision and hopefully I am completely wrong.
Sears barely broke a sweat, so it all worked out perfectly. I just wouldn't want a guy out there that I have to pull if the inning gets extended.

Cool to win a tournament title though, especially with a big home crowd.

Actually... I think Christo would play game 2 on Saturday

The more I think about this... They have a decent setup to make it to Sunday if our Pitchers bring their good stuff. Meaning we only use two pitchers each game

Friday - Mason McConnaughey-Daiss/Worthley/Sanders/Cleavinger

Saturday Game 1 - Will Walsh and One of the 3 left from this group Daiss/Worthley/Sanders/Cleavinger

Saturday Game 2 - Drew Christo(Only threw 27 pitches last night) and One of the 2 left from this group Daiss/Worthley/Sanders/Cleavinger

Sunday - Brockett and anyone else available

The key here is having our starter go for 6 or more each game, if that doesn't happen I don't see us making it to Sunday
I nailed the starters. I wonder if Childress needs an assistant?

Sears barely broke a sweat, so it all worked out perfectly. I just wouldn't want a guy out there that I have to pull if the inning gets extended.

Cool to win a tournament title though, especially with a big home crowd.
The odds of this team making a run in the NCAA tourney to get to Omaha are very slim. You go for the win here IMO and worry about a regional later. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT