ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona State to the B1G?

More success in football by far. Houston was once a bottom feeder in bad conferences like the WAC/C-USA.
Houston's trophy case boasts a Heisman, in addition to the same amount of conference titles over the past 30 years.

Houston also was never a member of the WAC.

Houston's trophy case boasts a Heisman, in addition to the same amount of conference titles over the past 30 years.

You are right, they weren't part of the WAC. However, C-USA is just as bad and Houston was at the bottom of C-USA for many years.

You place the same amount of weight for a conference title against SMU or whoever as against USC, Oregon, and Washington?

I honestly can't even tell you who Houston plays against. Jog my memory. I'm sure it's some juggernauts.

For what it's worth...

Academically, ASU ranks #121 according to US News and World Report while Houston ranks #182. This surprised me as ASU has a party school reputation. ASU has almost a 90% acceptance rate while UH has a 65.5% acceptance rate.

You place the same amount of weight for a conference title against SMU or whoever as against USC, Oregon, and Washington?

I honestly can't even tell you who Houston plays against. Jog my memory. I'm sure it's some juggernauts.
they're in the conferences they're in. they have no choice. get over it.

(Houston, of course, plays a Big 12 schedule today. So, they play the team that never trailed for a single second against the mighty B1G champs in the national semi-final last year, among others.)

Since 2005 that's almost 20 years Houston is 145-84 . Arizona St is 119-101. Now the PAC is better than the AAC and Conf USA But Houston wins a lot more than they lose. And "IF" they had BIG $$$$$$ what could they do

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
Since 2005 that's almost 20 years Houston is 145-84 . Arizona St is 119-101. Now the PAC is better than the AAC and Conf USA But Houston wins a lot more than they lose. And "IF" they had BIG $$$$$$ what could they do
also - 2 national titles in hoops and currently boast a streak of 4 straight Sweet 16s

last year the B1G had 8 teams in the field, with nary a 1 making the Sweet 16

Reactions: sammyk
I like the potential that Houston has. Huge TV market , arguably the best recruiting area in Texas.
3rd biggest TV market in the country

bumped off the home of the B1G's HQ, Chicago, a few years back

(Houston, of course, plays a Big 12 schedule today. So, they play the team that never trailed for a single second against the mighty B1G champs in the national semi-final last year, among others.)
Oh, I totally agree. I place the same amount of weight for NDSU winning titles as Bama. I think we should consider Mount Union too. They consistently beat who they play. Competition doesn't really matter.

And could you at least give me a few of these powerhouses that UH is dominating?

Anybody been to Houston's campus? What's it like? ASU has an enrollment of about 75K while Houston is 45K.
yes. downtown, urban setting. pretty old & nothing special.

I'd bet if they were in the B1G they could pretty easily access the Texans stadium for football and the Rockets stadium for hoops, both of which are modern and good.

Reactions: Long Time Lurker
I wonder what the setting would be like "IF" Houston played schools like Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Iowa , ILL on a semi annual basis. And by no means am I arguing about ASU ,that is a good school in an attractive area. But Nebraska would do better if they could get back into Texas this would help with that

Reactions: king_kong_
yes. downtown, urban setting. pretty old & nothing special.

I'd bet if they were in the B1G they could pretty easily access the Texans stadium for football and the Rockets stadium for hoops, both of which are modern and good.
So are they going to to that when they officially join the Big 12 ?

And could you at least give me a few of these powerhouses that UH is dominating?
they're 20-7 in football over the last 2 seasons despite losing a Heisman contender at QB. beat an SEC school in their 2021 bowl game.

they were the #2 overall national seed in basketball last year

the list of B1G schools in both sports over the past 2 years to accomplish similar feats would be pretty short

I feel that Nebraska and Penn state are the same in the BIG. No natural rivalries. Penn State does not play Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, Notre Dame like they used to. Nebraska Does not play Colorado, Oklahoma , Oklahoma St, Mizzou, any schools in Texas. And it has hurt the Cornhuskers. If they could actually get a real Rival other than Iowa that was in either TX or OK it would help with recruiting and possibly get Nebraska back to being Nebraska. I am a Penn St fan and the Move to the BIG has not hurt us as much as it has Hurt Nebraska but Nebraska needs to find more inroads into TX. Going to Houston and the Houston area it's not that hard of a sell saying you will play in front of your home town every other year.

I feel that Nebraska and Penn state are the same in the BIG. No natural rivalries. Penn State does not play Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, Notre Dame like they used to. Nebraska Does not play Colorado, Oklahoma , Oklahoma St, Mizzou, any schools in Texas. And it has hurt the Cornhuskers. If they could actually get a real Rival other than Iowa that was in either TX or OK it would help with recruiting and possibly get Nebraska back to being Nebraska. I am a Penn St fan and the Move to the BIG has not hurt us as much as it has Hurt Nebraska but Nebraska needs to find more inroads into TX. Going to Houston and the Houston area it's not that hard of a sell saying you will play in front of your home town every other year.
Michigan and Ohio State were supposed to become our rivals when we joined the B1G, because we were supposed to be competing with them on a regular basis for conference championships.

Not to double post so please forgive me but if Nebraska got back to being Nebraska could you imagine the BIG then??

BIG East
Ohio St-top 5 team year in and year out.
Michigan top 5 team last couple of years and that does not look to stop anytime soon
Penn State-top 10 team and looks to be strong for the next couple of years
Michigan St- since 2010 100 wins

BIG West
USC- about to be the old USC
UCLA- same about to be a 8-10 win team annually
Nebraska-IF they get back to being a top 5-15 team again
Wisconsin- Has been very good for 20+years

Now you are talking a conference that is loaded every year with multiple teams that have a chance to get into the playoffs. Think of it a 7-0 USC team coming in to face a 7-0 Nebraska team.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
much as it pains me to say, I agree with you wholeheartedly, pennst fan

Reactions: sammyk
If we start winning the B1G like we should, the rivalries with Michigan and Ohio State will soon follow.
I want to win the BIG every year but even if we ran off a string of BIG titles Michigan and Ohio St would not look at us as a rival. Just a team they need to beat to win the BIG. Ohio st sees Michigan as a rival and always will and vice versa. Penn Stat's rival resides in the 412 area code

If we start winning the B1G like we should, the rivalries with Michigan and Ohio State will soon follow.
this comment is rooted in fantasy, not reality

michigan fans, especially, will tell you a 1-11 season is a success so long as they beat ohio

and I highly doubt ohiost fans will start X'ing out their Ns during Husker game week no matter how many B1G titles we win in a row

I'm not sure Nebraska has one true rival. If you asked Gen X Husker fans, many would say Colorado or KSU. If you asked most older Nebraska fans, they would say Oklahoma is our rival. If you asked most Oklahoma fans, it would probably be 1/3 Nebraska (only older fans would say this), 1/3 Texas, and 1/3 OSU.

Reactions: moralvictories
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT