ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona State to the B1G?

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
I just saw that Arizona State has become an AAU member. Could Arizona State be planning on making a move to the B1G? It would make a lot of sense for a couple of different reasons.

1st and foremost, Arizona State would get the B1G network into the Phoenix market. 2nd, it would give USC and UCLA another travel partner, although it would likely mean that they would add another team from out west to balance out the number of teams in conference. Perhaps Stanford, Cal, Oregon, or Washington would be the other team that would get added in addition to ASU.

That has not been one of the rumors so I'm not expecting it. I'm also not sure though why there is such hate on this board for adding Arizona State. There are a ton of Nebraska people living in the Phoenix area and Phoenix is an important media market.
It honestly wouldn't shock me. The problem for Oregon and Washington is that the BIG 10 is really the only option. So there isn't a rush to grab them before the SEC does. Now I would never expect the SEC to add ASU but they do have a lot of attractive measurables. Only so many major tv markets left to grab.

ASU has lots of positive attributes (6th largest university enrollment in the country, warm climate, good local high school football, fun campus scene in Tempe), but over the years they've made some questionable coaching hires that have kept them from being a consistently good football team. Their latest coach is 33 years old with no previous HC experience. He's a native Phoenician, so maybe he understands the area well and can tap into the local recruiting.

ASU has lots of positive attributes (6th largest university enrollment in the country, warm climate, good local high school football, fun campus scene in Tempe), but over the years they've made some questionable coaching hires that have kept them from being a consistently good football team. Their latest coach is 33 years old with no previous HC experience. He's a native Phoenician, so maybe he understands the area well and can tap into the local recruiting.
Well I guess us Nebraska fans should be able to empathize with having made some poor coaching choices. We've got some things in common with them. :)

Last edited:
Both Ariz and State suck, and should be better at football than they are..., but then consider we added Maryland and Rutgers so there goes that argument.

It's not the dumbest idea I guess.

Reactions: BleedRed78
How much value do they add????? What people are saying about ASU you can say the same for Houston as far as market size.

And I hear ALL the girls at Arizona State are HOT! Well, at least one way or another. Ha.
ASU has a major party scene at the sprawling Tempe campus. They usually show up in the top party schools lists and they have a student enrollment of 75K. The problem is they can't convert their size and party atmosphere into football enthusiasm. Their football attendance has averaged less than 50K since 2018. Much of the student population just doesn't care about football and many of the area locals that do care about football are transplants that root for Midwest teams or LDS that root for BYU or Utah.

How much value do they add????? What people are saying about ASU you can say the same for Houston as far as market size.
Houston isn't the same. Already 2 SEC teams in the state. I suppose technically the Big 10 would add Houston cable subscribers. ASU is the largest university in the state. Geographically it ties in with USC/UCLA. A lot of Big 10 alums in Phoenix too. I don't think Houston is the school you take as a geographic outlier in an area with divided loyalties.

ASU has a major party scene at the sprawling Tempe campus. They usually show up in the top party schools lists and they have a student enrollment of 75K. The problem is they can't convert their size and party atmosphere into football enthusiasm. Their football attendance has averaged less than 50K since 2018. Much of the student population just doesn't care about football and many of the area locals that do care about football are transplants that root for Midwest teams or LDS that root for BYU or Utah.
Kind of like how people love to travel to Vegas for football games I bet a ton of transplants + visitors would fill ASU's stadium if they had a BIG 10 schedule.

We'd play them at 1:30 p.m. MST in early September. Brutal there for two months of the football season.
The heat definitely plays a factor in fan enthusiasm and attendance. The average high temperature for Phoenix in September is 101 and 90 in October.

I just saw that Arizona State has become an AAU member. Could Arizona State be planning on making a move to the B1G? It would make a lot of sense for a couple of different reasons.

1st and foremost, Arizona State would get the B1G network into the Phoenix market.
Nothing personal because we’ve all talked about this over the years in possibly over 100 threads, but am I the only one who thinks it’s kinda dumb that we’re discussing tv markets?

Nothing personal because we’ve all talked about this over the years in possibly over 100 threads, but am I the only one who thinks it’s kinda dumb that we’re discussing tv markets?
No maybe we need to discuss recruiting markets. How many D1 football players does AZ put out a year???

We'd play them at 1:30 p.m. MST in early September. Brutal there for two months of the football season.
Is that true? I thought one of the points in adding western teams was Big 10 games from noon eastern all the way until the evening. Early September would most often be non-conference.

Kind of but it's what the Big 10 is all about. Tv markets equal money. Big 10 likes money.

Not that it would play much of a factor but having a rotating Big 10 championship in Phoenix, the Rose Bowl, and Indy sounds pretty good to me. Cheap, accessible flights to Phoenix. ASU makes more sense then Oregon the more I think about it.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
They put out a lot. The #7 pick in this year's draft is from AZ.
Not that many. They only had 36 kids sign D1 offers Indiana had 45 kids sign D1. AZ would not help tap into new talent pools. Miami , FSU, UNC, UVA would. Oregon only had 10 kids sign D! Washington 30 kids. Not a lot of talent there to draw from. So not only should the BIG be looking at TV sets but new talent pools. AZ, OR, WA, are not it. TX, FL, NC, VA are

Last edited:
Not that many. They only had 36 kids sign D1 offers Indiana had 45 kids sign D1. AZ would not help tap into new talent pools. Miami , FSU, UNC, UVA would
UNC would be a true prize. FSU would be good but I think they see themselves as too Southern for the Big 10. Miami I don't know.

Reactions: BleedRed78
UNC would be a true prize. FSU would be good but I think they see themselves as too Southern for the Big 10. Miami I don't know.
I live in NC and if you go to Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Asheville, Wilmington, there are a ton and I mean a ton of people from PA,NJ, OH, MI, MD, IND here. Fayetteville is a military town so I would assume a lot of people there are from BIG states, So yea NC does fit. VA is split between the North and the south. A lot of VA is very much like a Northern State. Miami would fit but I think FSU would like to be BIG. Just a feeling on that. I do think that the BIG would really go after UNC and UVA if and when the ACC folds. After that I can see FSU or Miami and I do think Clemson will be in play

Last edited:
B1G wants Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, UNC. Oregon and Washington could happen but they likely won't be full members for many years.

Reactions: Redblood23
The B1G is focused on their academic brand almost as much as their football acquisitions. I think they would have to fall down their wish list before adding ASU

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Virginia
4. Washington
5. Oregon
6. Miami
7. Stanford
8. Cal

After that, ASU, Arizona, Colorado, Utah are the next tier they would go after.

That being said, I’d love to see ASU in the B1G.

Easier road trips, more of a Midwest culture than Cali, a regional partner for USC/UCLA, and huge market in Phoenix that would bring a ton of TV money. ASU’s academics have come a long way the last 20 years too. It’s no longer just the party school of the 90-2000s.

The B1G is focused on their academic brand almost as much as their football acquisitions. I think they would have to fall down their wish list before adding ASU

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Virginia
4. Washington
5. Oregon
6. Miami
7. Stanford
8. Cal

After that, ASU, Arizona, Colorado, Utah are the next tier they would go after.

That being said, I’d love to see ASU in the B1G.

Easier road trips, more of a Midwest culture than Cali, a regional partner for USC/UCLA, and huge market in Phoenix that would bring a ton of TV money. ASU’s academics have come a long way the last 20 years too. It’s no longer just the party school of the 90-2000s.
I don't know that Oregon is the simple pick that everyone thinks they are. They took us for football and we shit the bed. No guarantee Oregon doesn't fall off too. Then what did they gain? An isolated university in a relatively small population state 2 or 3 time zones away. ASU is the better choice. Washington could pair with ASU if needed.

I don't know that Oregon is the simple pick that everyone thinks they are. They took us for football and we shit the bed. No guarantee Oregon doesn't fall off too. Then what did they gain? An isolated university in a relatively small population state 2 or 3 time zones away. ASU is the better choice. Washington could pair with ASU if needed.
I can definitely see that argument.

Arizona / Phoenix are growing at a much faster rate than Oregon / Portland too, and it’s a much more sports friendly city.

I’m with you and I would be much happier with ASU than Oregon. But it doesn’t seem like they’re as high of a priority target, based only on rumors.

Reactions: salsa red
I can definitely see that argument.

Arizona / Phoenix are growing at a much faster rate than Oregon / Portland too, and it’s a much more sports friendly city.

I’m with you and I would be much happier with ASU than Oregon. But it doesn’t seem like they’re as high of a priority target, based only on rumors.
Big 10 has been pretty unconventional in expansion so I wouldn't rule ASU out.

Reactions: HuskerMania257460
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT