ADVERTISEMENT

April 18, 1996: Brook Berringer

Man, that’s tough to think about still to this day. I was 6 years old and I had gotten a Husker football jersey and helmet set. It had number 18 on it and I was so proud to wear that thing everywhere I went. Little did I know how special that number 18 would turn out to be. I hope as a parent now, I can raise my sons to have the character and faith of that man Brook Berringer.

Man, that’s tough to think about still to this day. I was 6 years old and I had gotten a Husker football jersey and helmet set. It had number 18 on it and I was so proud to wear that thing everywhere I went. Little did I know how special that number 18 would turn out to be. I hope as a parent now, I can raise my sons to have the character and faith of that man Brook Berringer.
Can still vividly remember neighbors gathered in the street as I came home from a friend's house. Asked why some people were crying. My mom said Brook Berringer died. Sawyer Brown song is still tough to listen to 20 + years later.

Posted this a few times over the years but I got up at 3:00 AM on April 22nd and drove from Omaha to Goodland and back the same day for the funeral services. Pretty sad day and in my opinion not a wise choice to have a dual funeral. I thought it was a great disservice to Toby Lake. Everyone knew who's funeral they were there for and it was not Toby (Brook's sister's boyfriend). At the cemetery almost everyone was gathered at Brook's graveside, while very few were at Mr. Lake's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT