ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching the USA and LaCry James!

Maybe it is because I am old and like to yell at people to get off my lawn, so take things for what they are worth. Generally, the rules have changed so much that making comparisons between eras is very difficult. The top stars in any era (dating back to the 1960's) would be top stars no matter when they are playing. There is also a huge difference in that the league has trended toward placating individuals and is less of a team approach (which is why I find the NBA boring). There is also a difference between "skills" and "players" (as there is in any sport). Lots of people have skills, very few people are players. If NBA dudes are so much bigger, faster, and stronger than why does it rarely translate to improved metrics over a long period of time? Below is some FG % data I found from basketball-reference.com and summarized by decades.

2020 - 2024 = 46.9%
2010 - 2020 = 45.5%
2000 - 2010 = 45.1%
1990 - 2000 = 46.0%
1980 - 1990 = 48.5%
1970 - 1980 = 46.3%
1960 - 1970 = 43.9%

So, despite all the "skills" and supposedly being much better shooters, the FG percentage as a league so far in the 2020s is no better than it was in the 1970s.

Just my perspective.
Did you account for the variance in shot selection (3 pt vs 2 pt shots) between these different eras?

• Love
Reactions: kakdawg
Did you account for the variance in shot selection (3 pt vs 2 pt shots) between these different eras?

No. I am sure there are many more 3pt shots taken in the 2 1/2 decades of the 2000s, but it doesn't seem like there has been a vast difference in overall percentage. For what it's worth, the 3 point FG percentage is below.

2020 - 2024 = 36.2%
2010 - 2020 = 35.6%
2000 - 2010 = 35.6%
1990 - 2000 = 34.4%
1980 - 1990 = 28.3%

I'm sure there are statisticians on the board, but if I viewed things correctly for every 1,000 3pt shots taken the 2020s would make only 6 more shots over the 2010s and 2000s. That doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Ego mattered and that’s why he was drafted at all. GM/HC James made the decision. His ego, much more than his son, it appears needs to be
Sure they placated their star. Picking him up undrafted or at 55 really didn't matter though. There were 58 picks in the draft and unless Kevin mcullar becomes a star they weren't picking bronny over someone of value.

Maybe it is because I am old and like to yell at people to get off my lawn, so take things for what they are worth. Generally, the rules have changed so much that making comparisons between eras is very difficult. The top stars in any era (dating back to the 1960's) would be top stars no matter when they are playing. There is also a huge difference in that the league has trended toward placating individuals and is less of a team approach (which is why I find the NBA boring). There is also a difference between "skills" and "players" (as there is in any sport). Lots of people have skills, very few people are players. If NBA dudes are so much bigger, faster, and stronger than why does it rarely translate to improved metrics over a long period of time? Below is some FG % data I found from basketball-reference.com and summarized by decades.

2020 - 2024 = 46.9%
2010 - 2020 = 45.5%
2000 - 2010 = 45.1%
1990 - 2000 = 46.0%
1980 - 1990 = 48.5%
1970 - 1980 = 46.3%
1960 - 1970 = 43.9%

So, despite all the "skills" and supposedly being much better shooters, the FG percentage as a league so far in the 2020s is no better than it was in the 1970s.

Just my perspective.
Might want to consider the evolution and volume of 3 point shooting and how that effects FG% overall.
Most sports fans prefer the era that shaped their sports fandom, so I would never try and convince anyone that todays game is better…in any sport, Guys like Wilt would undoubtedly still be great in this era, but the mid tier 60s/70s ‘NBA dude wouldn’t likely see the floor in todays game.

Sure they placated their star. Picking him up undrafted or at 55 really didn't matter though. There were 58 picks in the draft and unless Kevin mcullar becomes a star they weren't picking bronny over someone of value.
The ego is being forever having the word drafted by your name. The small percentage of people who’ve had the honor is small. Having a son drafted is an ego boost. Can’t say otherwise.

2020 - 2024 = 46.9%
2010 - 2020 = 45.5%
2000 - 2010 = 45.1%
1990 - 2000 = 46.0%
1980 - 1990 = 48.5%
1970 - 1980 = 46.3%
1960 - 1970 = 43.9%

Just my perspective.

Two words for you ..shot selection.

Holla

So understanding the game and not just being an athletic dude???
Shot selection not in terms of good vs bad, but in terms of 3 pt shots. Posting near-equal FG % from different eras is not indicative of equal performance. It’s like comparing Shaq’s FG % to Steph Curry’s and concluding that Shaq is a better shooter.

When the proportion of 3pt shots is so much greater now, it demonstrates the superiority of shooters today.

NBA.com has some amazing tools to look at and compare this stuff for anyone that wants to look. You can apply all kinds of filters to shooting data, not just by 2pt and 3pt, but by various distances and shot types. But what you will find is that players today are better in all respects, and it’s not even close. The discrepancy is most apparent when you go further down the list. The 50th best dude today is a lot better than the 50th best dude 30 years ago. The gap just grows and grows the further you go down.

Shot selection not in terms of good vs bad, but in terms of 3 pt shots. Posting near-equal FG % from different eras is not indicative of equal performance. It’s like comparing Shaq’s FG % to Steph Curry’s and concluding that Shaq is a better shooter.

When the proportion of 3pt shots is so much greater now, it demonstrates the superiority of shooters today.

NBA.com has some amazing tools to look at and compare this stuff for anyone that wants to look. You can apply all kinds of filters to shooting data, not just by 2pt and 3pt, but by various distances and shot types. But what you will find is that players today are better in all respects, and it’s not even close. The discrepancy is most apparent when you go further down the list. The 50th best dude today is a lot better than the 50th best dude 30 years ago. The gap just grows and grows the further you go down.
Interesting to look at. Will look as time allows.

Reactions: 90sman
The Lebron hate here is unreal. Bailed Team USA out twice in a row, and the losers on this board who have never even stepped on a basketball court are still dishing out stupid nicknames for him. Lebron and AD, the two Lakers, are by far the best players on Team USA right now. The only reason the Lakers haven't won a championship since 2020 is their front office can't put together competent role players around those two, but they are hands down the best duo in the league and are proving it in this world circuit.

Reactions: baseball_23
The Lebron hate here is unreal. Bailed Team USA out twice in a row, and the losers on this board who have never even stepped on a basketball court are still dishing out stupid nicknames for him. Lebron and AD, the two Lakers, are by far the best players on Team USA right now. The only reason the Lakers haven't won a championship since 2020 is their front office can't put together competent role players around those two, but they are hands down the best duo in the league and are proving it in this world circuit.
Yeah the Lakers' front office is definitely messed up. Just look at how they ended up with a HC with no coaching experience at any level and blew $8 million guaranteed on a 2nd round draft pick.

Why didn't they consult LeBron on these decisions? He surely would have set them straight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT