ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else’s respect for Pelini go up?

When Pelini was here, I thought he was a decent but not great coach. I despised his out of control behavior, lazy/mediocre recruiting efforts, arrogance, attitude towards fans, and trend of worsening defenses. By the end he had burned a lot of bridges and many disliked him, including me.

When he was fired I was surprised, however, as he had won 9-10 games every season. I was aghast when we followed him up with Mike Riley.

The Riley and Frost years have made me realize that Pelini was a better coach than I gave him credit for. He is a flawed individual, but it is too bad a way forward with us was never found.

Anyway, I hope he gets another head coaching gig because I think he deserves it. 7 straight years of 9-10 win seasons looks damn good right now.
Fuk No. Just because the Scott Frost era was a total dumpster fire and Smiling Mike’s was a little better but still embarrassing, doesn’t mean Pelini did a great job.
Would I love 9 wins a season? Yes. But I want the teams to look disciplined and dominant. I don’t want teams that struggle to barely beat crappy teams and get their asses handed to them by teams like Wisconsin.

I thought the hate and vitriol shown toward him was just plain stupid. He won a lot of games, ran a clean program, and never had any legal issues. That's all you can really ask for. I was on the fence about firing him, but the moment we hired Riley, I knew it was a mistake letting him go with no real plan to move the program forward.
He didn’t have any legal problems because Tom ran interference for him. Tom sidetracked 2 staff lawsuits against the Pelinis and the university. I don’t know if there was a quiet cash settlement but there were some serious charges by female NU employees that would have made national news.

Fuk No. Just because the Scott Frost era was a total dumpster fire and Smiling Mike’s was a little better but still embarrassing, doesn’t mean Pelini did a great job.
Would I love 9 wins a season? Yes. But I want the teams to look disciplined and dominant. I don’t want teams that struggle to barely beat crappy teams and get their asses handed to them by teams like Wisconsin.
People soon forget. There was no silver lining.

…but he also went:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

The last 3 seasons had nothing to do with Callahan’s recruits.

I went through the latter Riley and Frost years just desperate to win a game and hoping the players wouldn’t give up.

I am not saying I want Pelini back here, but he shouldn’t be unemployed.
He should be unemployed!!?!
He proved it by coaching at Youngstown and by going back to LSU as D coordinator…

Realize Hugh Laurie GIF

If he wasn’t an out of control jerk, I think he would still be here.

When everyone was sick of his antics and few liked him, he became expendable. He burned bridges with the fans and administrators with his bs, but 9-10 wins for 7 seasons straight looks better and better. Hopefully Rhule can do that or better while being likable.
He wouldn’t still be here. Why people only look at numbers but don’t look at everything that went into his record is beyond me.

Do you not get that his teams barely beat shit teams and got smoked by average to better competition.

Do you not get the BIG was going through a lot of issues when Bo first took over. Michigan had a couple bad HC’s, Rich Rod and Brady Hoke. PSU had the baby raper and the limited scholarship penalty, (although they should’ve had much harsher penalties). OSU had some issues.

The BIG was ripe to be controlled but Bo couldn’t do it. OSU, Michigan, and PSU are day and night different than back then. Purdue’s Rondale Moore would have ran all over a Bo D.

He wouldn’t still be here. Why people only look at numbers but don’t look at everything that went into his record is beyond me.

Do you not get that his teams barely beat shit teams and got smoked by average to better competition.

Do you not get the BIG was going through a lot of issues when Bo first took over. Michigan had a couple bad HC’s, Rich Rod and Brady Hoke. PSU had the baby raper and the limited scholarship penalty, (although they should’ve had much harsher penalties). OSU had some issues.

The BIG was ripe to be controlled but Bo couldn’t do it. OSU, Michigan, and PSU are day and night different than back then. Purdue’s Rondale Moore would have ran all over a Bo D.

He was caught on tape calling husker fans "f$&@king fair weather fans". He wasn't good enough to get away with that

Reactions: Clevinger
…but he also went:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

The last 3 seasons had nothing to do with Callahan’s recruits.

I went through the latter Riley and Frost years just desperate to win a game and hoping the players wouldn’t give up.

I am not saying I want Pelini back here, but he shouldn’t be unemployed.
I don't know - our season ending rankings in the AP poll for those last three seasons: #25, unranked, unranked. The pollsters weren't fooled by nine wins a year against weak, unranked opponents (the only wins against ranked opponents in those entire three years were #20 Michigan in 2012 and a disinterested #23 Georgia in the 2014 Gator Bowl). If you had any ambitions of NU being a ranked team more often than not, Pelini wasn't going to get you there.

He didn’t have any legal problems because Tom ran interference for him. Tom sidetracked 2 staff lawsuits against the Pelinis and the university. I don’t know if there was a quiet cash settlement but there were some serious charges by female NU employees that would have made national news.
Lol sure.

Actually, Pelini was calling for investments in a beefed up recruiting operation, but was rebuffed. Those resources came after he was canned. Bo was an angry dick, but his admins were passive aggressive dicks.
This is completely false

Pelini to this day speaks resoectfukky about Nebraska and has moved on.
He changed his tune pretty quickly after he took that Youngstown job. He and his D line coach Kaz both quickly realized how badly they screwed up a sweet deal.

It’s kind of too bad he landed at LSU as a DC instead of in the NFL as a position coach.

He changed his tune pretty quickly after he took that Youngstown job. He and his D line coach Kaz both quickly realized how badly they screwed up a sweet deal.

It’s kind of too bad he landed at LSU as a DC instead of in the NFL as a position coach.
He could have easily coached until the day he died in the NFL. Instead he insisted on playing a victim, and coaching in college. Something he didn’t really like doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT