ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else’s respect for Pelini go up?

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
When Pelini was here, I thought he was a decent but not great coach. I despised his out of control behavior, lazy/mediocre recruiting efforts, arrogance, attitude towards fans, and trend of worsening defenses. By the end he had burned a lot of bridges and many disliked him, including me.

When he was fired I was surprised, however, as he had won 9-10 games every season. I was aghast when we followed him up with Mike Riley.

The Riley and Frost years have made me realize that Pelini was a better coach than I gave him credit for. He is a flawed individual, but it is too bad a way forward with us was never found.

Anyway, I hope he gets another head coaching gig because I think he deserves it. 7 straight years of 9-10 win seasons looks damn good right now.

When Pelini was here, I thought he was a decent but not great coach. I despised his out of control behavior, lazy/mediocre recruiting efforts, arrogance, attitude towards fans, and trend of worsening defenses. By the end he had burned a lot of bridges and many disliked him, including me.

When he was fired I was surprised, however, as he had won 9-10 games every season. I was aghast when we followed him up with Mike Riley.

The Riley and Frost years have made me realize that Pelini was a better coach than I gave him credit for. He is a flawed individual, but it is too bad a way forward with us was never found.

Anyway, I hope he gets another head coaching gig because I think he deserves it.
Um no. I think he would maybe handle it better if given another shot somewhere but he won at NU despite himself. He proved his short comings at Youngstown State. He should have never been elevated beyond position coach and should have stayed in the NFL.

Anyway, I hope he gets another head coaching gig because I think he deserves it. 7 straight years of 9-10 win seasons looks damn good right now.

200w.gif

He was fired bc Perlman didn’t like him and his AD got rid of him and poor recruiting was the post hoc justification that has been used. Yet Pelini hadn’t failed on the field. Given what has transpired after he left, I’d say he was pematurely let go. The thing is, Bo probably continues to win 9 as long as Tommy was taking snaps. I doubt they wanted to wait that long.

Um no. I think he would maybe handle it better if given another shot somewhere but he won at NU despite himself. He proved his short comings at Youngstown State. He should have never been elevated beyond position coach and should have stayed in the NFL.
Pelini needed to realize he needed Nebraska and Nebraska needed to realize they needed him. Maybe it could have worked then. Maybe the ceiling goes higher.

I was skeptical when he couldn't find a DT after Suh, hell, even Crick

Reactions: Clevinger
I don’t understand why people keep bringing up that clown, he won with Callahan players he hated recruiting was insecure and paranoid
…but he also went:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

The last 3 seasons had nothing to do with Callahan’s recruits.

I went through the latter Riley and Frost years just desperate to win a game and hoping the players wouldn’t give up.

I am not saying I want Pelini back here, but he shouldn’t be unemployed.

…but he also went:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

I went through the latter Riley and Frost years just desperate to win a game and hoping the players wouldn’t give up.

The three losses were usually straight up beatdowns though. That was the part that hurt

He was a solid coach here, I don't think anyone has said otherwise. He also seemed to have no urgency to be better than 9-4/10-4. He also failed at Youngstown State.

He was a solid coach here, I don't think anyone has said otherwise. He also seemed to have no urgency to be better than 9-4/10-4. He also failed at Youngstown State.
Yeah, he didn’t seem to have aspirations to improve to the next level and was pissed when people were pushing him to do so.

Reactions: Hford
I don’t understand why people keep bringing up that clown, he won with Callahan players he hated recruiting was insecure and paranoid
You could have started and stopped with "he won." That’s far and above anything else I care about.

Reactions: RaulJones
He went 9-3 his last year in year 7. It was time to move on from him, but he was much better than Callahan. Problem was Mike Riley who was a bad hire. If you fire a 9-3 coach you better have a Kirby smart ready to go

He was fired bc Perlman didn’t like him and his AD got rid of him and poor recruiting was the post hoc justification that has been used. Yet Pelini hadn’t failed on the field. Given what has transpired after he left, I’d say he was pematurely let go. The thing is, Bo probably continues to win 9 as long as Tommy was taking snaps. I doubt they wanted to wait that long.
They got rid of him because he was a belligerent cock bag.

I think the flaming wreckage of the Frost era has just made me appreciate the guy more.

Reactions: loper and Laner2
I remember the consensus was a monkey could win 9 at NU when they got rid of him

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Pelini needed to realize he needed Nebraska and Nebraska needed to realize they needed him. Maybe it could have worked then. Maybe the ceiling goes higher.

He did, Vincent Valentine and Maliek Collins.

I remember the consensus was a monkey could 9 at NU when they got rid of him
More broadly, I appreciate things about Solich, Callahan, and Pelini more than I used to.

Rhule is probably catching our fan base at a good time. I still want to win championships, but this is the most patient I have ever felt about a coach. The Riley and Frost years were a complete nightmare.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Pelini might have been worse than Frost in recruiting/developing QB talent or at least his equal, and your ceiling is inherently going to be limited when you can't recruit to the most important position on the team. He signed 9 QB recruits in his tenure, and only 3 of them saw meaningful time on the field (TMart, Green, and Armstrong). TMart wasn't even recruited as a QB - his recruiting profile listed him as an "athlete." It's a reason we were rolling out walk-ons like Ryker Fife When TMart or Armstrong got hurt.

When Pelini was here, I thought he was a decent but not great coach.
Not me. His won-loss record looks good compared to Frost, but he was too unprofessional for my liking. But there was other stuff too, little things that just didn't look right. Like in 2009 when we had the game in hand, Bo would go berserk at his defensive coaches if they subbed starters out and our opponents score late. I always thought Bo's priorities at those moments were more about his defensive stats looking great for his own personal glory.

I thought the hate and vitriol shown toward him was just plain stupid. He won a lot of games, ran a clean program, and never had any legal issues. That's all you can really ask for. I was on the fence about firing him, but the moment we hired Riley, I knew it was a mistake letting him go with no real plan to move the program forward.

Reactions: zrob and Clevinger

He was an OK coach. I'll give him credit for being consistent. I loved the aggressiveness the defense played at that time

I thought the hate and vitriol shown toward him was just plain stupid. He won a lot of games, ran a clean program, and never had any legal issues. That's all you can really ask for. I was on the fence about firing him, but the moment we hired Riley, I knew it was a mistake letting him go with no real plan to move the program forward.
He had enough problems where there was a case to fire him, but NOT if we didn’t have an amazing upgrade in waiting. Riley had failure written all over him from go.

…but he also went:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

Look at his big game blowouts and his embarrassing sideline antics like I’ve said numerous times eventually Bo would have went full woody Hayes on a official

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Look at his big game blowouts and his embarrassing sideline antics like I’ve said numerous times eventually Bo would have went full woody Hayes on a official

Yeah, he had a close call swinging his hat at that official.

Yep. Had his faults, but ya can’t ignore the contrast in talent…

Actually I’ll give him some credit for some of the guys after Crick. He had several really good DTs just not quite enough. Recruiting was pretty hit or Miss with that crew.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT