ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else’s respect for Pelini go up?

I am so surprised at some of our poster's bad memory. Bo was a real embarrassment to the university and the whole state of Nebraska. His shameful behavior and his uncontrollable anger on the sidelines got him what he deserved. Winning 9 a year isn't worth his employment. I'm glad he's gone.

My memory is fine. I thought he was a complete a—hole and couldn’t stand him. He was a better coach than I gave him credit for at the time though.

I want him to be a successful coach again far away from us.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Pelini needed to realize he needed Nebraska and Nebraska needed to realize they needed him. Maybe it could have worked then. Maybe the ceiling goes higher.

I was skeptical when he couldn't find a DT after Suh, hell, even Crick
Maliek Collins and Vince Valentine say hello.

He did, Vincent Valentine and Maliek Collins.
Maliek Collins and Vince Valentine say hello.

Wooooow, two whole guys out of 4 years post-Suh.

The 2010 DL/DE recruiting class:
Tobi Okuyemi who?
Chase Rome meh
Walker Ashburn who?
Donovan Vestal meh
Jay Guy meh
Jake Cotton was listed as OL/DL, obviously played OL, most famous for false-starting by falling over.

2011:
Joe Carter meh
David Sutton meh
Todd Peat meh (had a famous brother)
Kevin Williams played some IIRC, but not great

2012 finally got some decent recruits:
Avery Moss wasted potential
Greg McMullen meh
Vincent Valentine
Aaron Curry meh

2013:
Dimarya Mixon who?
Ernest Suttles meh
Randy Gregory good pickup
AJ Natter meh
Maliek Collins
Kevin Maurice meh

This list sucks outside of 3 guys.

Yeah, he didn’t seem to have aspirations to improve to the next level and was pissed when people were pushing him to do so.
Actually, Pelini was calling for investments in a beefed up recruiting operation, but was rebuffed. Those resources came after he was canned. Bo was an angry dick, but his admins were passive aggressive dicks.

Better results but he was a massive bag and the attitude and distractions were progressing with each season. It was time to make a move. Unfortunately it was a horrible one.

Reactions: Clevinger
When Pelini was here, I thought he was a decent but not great coach. I despised his out of control behavior, lazy/mediocre recruiting efforts, arrogance, attitude towards fans, and trend of worsening defenses. By the end he had burned a lot of bridges and many disliked him, including me.

When he was fired I was surprised, however, as he had won 9-10 games every season. I was aghast when we followed him up with Mike Riley.

The Riley and Frost years have made me realize that Pelini was a better coach than I gave him credit for. He is a flawed individual, but it is too bad a way forward with us was never found.

Anyway, I hope he gets another head coaching gig because I think he deserves it. 7 straight years of 9-10 win seasons looks damn good right now.
Uh....NO

Better results but he was a massive bag and the attitude and distractions were progressing with each season. It was time to make a move. Unfortunately it was a horrible one.

If he wasn’t an out of control jerk, I think he would still be here.

When everyone was sick of his antics and few liked him, he became expendable. He burned bridges with the fans and administrators with his bs, but 9-10 wins for 7 seasons straight looks better and better. Hopefully Rhule can do that or better while being likable.

If he was worth a shit, he'd be a head coach today instead of fired from his last gig, almost fired by his hometown school, and fired from the job before that.

Nobody has any use for a defensive coach that doesn't know shit about defense.

If the question was 'how much money does Bo Pelini owe Ndamukong Suh for making people believe he could coach defense?" it's double digit millions.

9-10 wins sounds like heaven these days. But I will say from living in Nittany Lion country fans won't tolerate that forever. Half the fanbase wants James Franklin gone after every loss and even some wins. Lol.

As soon as Nebraska stops reaching for it all and starts settling for just better than avg. I will stop caring.

I am glad he has found greener pastures and Nebraska has moved on.

Now just waiting to see if Nebraska will hire winners at HC instead of unwinners and losers.

When Pelini was here, I thought he was a decent but not great coach. I despised his out of control behavior, lazy/mediocre recruiting efforts, arrogance, attitude towards fans, and trend of worsening defenses. By the end he had burned a lot of bridges and many disliked him, including me.

When he was fired I was surprised, however, as he had won 9-10 games every season. I was aghast when we followed him up with Mike Riley.

The Riley and Frost years have made me realize that Pelini was a better coach than I gave him credit for. He is a flawed individual, but it is too bad a way forward with us was never found.

Anyway, I hope he gets another head coaching gig because I think he deserves it. 7 straight years of 9-10 win seasons looks damn good right now.
Don’t misunderstand me I definitely want to get back to winning 9 plus games every year and you are correct Bo did that. I for one thought Bo was up coming hot commodity young coach but I was wrong but at least he wasn’t the failure Scott lost. Bo just had to many inner demons

Firing Pelini wasn't a mistake, hiring Riley was the mistake

If rumor is true that Eichorst blew off Kyle Wittingham because he wanted the anti-Bo in Smiling Mike then THAT is the real turning point

Reactions: Bigred_b1624

His record was good but he never won any games that truly mattered. Lost badly in the BIG-10 Championship game against Wisconsin (a team that got there only because Ohio St and Penn St were on probation).

In 50 more years he will only be remembered for winning 9 or more games.

Firing Pelini wasn't a mistake, hiring Riley was the mistake

If rumor is true that Eichorst blew off Kyle Wittingham because he wanted the anti-Bo in Smiling Mike then THAT is the real turning point
Riley was most certainly the anti-Bo. We were trying to give an enema to our program. Sure, we wanted to win, but Bo went scorched Earth when he left. He poisoned the well. I would have loved to have hired a Coach Rhule back then, but an exorcism was needed.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie

#NeverAgainBo

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I don't really like any coaches since solich...and I wasen't too thrilled about solich.
the jury is out on rhule

Reactions: phoenix4nu
I don’t understand why people keep bringing up that clown, he won with Callahan players he hated recruiting was insecure and paranoid
He won for 7 seasons. Hardly Callahan's players. But he's gone, so no point in doing anything other than reminiscing.

I've just let it settle in my mind that he was crass, didn't really rep NU well, won at least 9 games, 10 twice, and it was a mistake to fire him for that clownshoe Riley.

Water under the bridge. But it was dumb to do without a ringer in place.

Would love to see an alternate timeline for Nebraska. What would have the last 25 years looked like for Nebraska if…

What if TO coached 5 more years?

What if Bill Byrne could have had HIS choice and gotten Mack Brown as coach?

What if Callahan would have had a better Defensive staff?

More recently…What if someone other than Mike Riley was hired? Would they still be here?

Reactions: Mack In Motion
A bigger question...is riley the only NU coach since TO that no fan can say (or make up) anything at all about him?

I can't think of anything that was made up about Callahan but maybe there was?

I don't really like any coaches since solich...and I wasen't too thrilled about solich.
the jury is out on rhule
The Jury is still out on Rhule? So you are saying our minds shouldn't be completely made up on a guy who hasn't coached a single game and was just announced as coach a few days ago?

what do you mean made up about?
I mean, made up. Look at all the stuff about Frost the last 3 months. It can't ALL be true, we know that.

Bo was "physically removed" from two middle school games while head coach, I mean, come on.

Frank ****ed a bunch of cheerleaeders, I mean...did he?? Didn't he also say he was drugged? ha

But for Mike, I can't think of anything, real/made up that was "bad".

• Haha
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
…but he also went:

9-4
10-4
10-4
9-4
10-4
9-4
9-3

The last 3 seasons had nothing to do with Callahan’s recruits.

I went through the latter Riley and Frost years just desperate to win a game and hoping the players wouldn’t give up.

I am not saying I want Pelini back here, but he shouldn’t be unemployed.
It's the 4 losses each yr that got him on the hot, then all his baggage he brought on like Carl was his down fall. Along with "f you fire me"

200w.gif

I
My memory is fine. I thought he was a complete a—hole and couldn’t stand him. He was a better coach than I gave him credit for at the time though.

I want him to be a successful coach again far away from us.
iMO a great deal of any success he had was his assistants and the support staff Tom put in place for him. He failed miserably at Youngstown when he didn’t have those things.

Bo is absolutely cancer for any program. His shtick is outdated and football has evolved to make his style trash. Bo is washed up and will be working cashier at your local hardware store.

• Haha
Reactions: RaulJones
He had some weak assistants too.
The best defense I saw us play was the half where they took Pelini to the hospital at halftime because he was having heart issues from drinking too much Redbul

That offensive staff was MUCH better than they got credit for and they had enough guys who had worked for Tom or Frank to know the ropes. Bo was lost on his own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT