ADVERTISEMENT

Any AirBnB hosts round these here parts???

litespeedhuskerfan

Nebraska Legend
Aug 27, 2006
Trying to cancel a rez for Sept in a normally very hard to get place...felt fortunate we got it at all, back in Feb Ithink it was??? Well since then my amazing neighbor set our house on fire and we're displaced for a few months during the rebuild..we are trying to cancel the rez but host is giving us some flack...normally there is a 50% forfeit or penalty...whatever you want to call it. We paid for half the rez months ago and are asking them for some grace and the entire amount to be refunded due to our situation ...house will be getting done about then and we need to be here to make some decisions..etc etc.

We've decided we are going to live with whatever they decide, but it has me wondering if there is a clause in AirBnB somewhere that if your renter suffers a catastrophic event like we did....if they get their entire amount back? Any ideas?

Trying to cancel a rez for Sept in a normally very hard to get place...felt fortunate we got it at all, back in Feb Ithink it was??? Well since then my amazing neighbor set our house on fire and we're displaced for a few months during the rebuild..we are trying to cancel the rez but host is giving us some flack...normally there is a 50% forfeit or penalty...whatever you want to call it. We paid for half the rez months ago and are asking them for some grace and the entire amount to be refunded due to our situation ...house will be getting done about then and we need to be here to make some decisions..etc etc.

We've decided we are going to live with whatever they decide, but it has me wondering if there is a clause in AirBnB somewhere that if your renter suffers a catastrophic event like we did....if they get their entire amount back? Any ideas?
Wow they won’t refund you? You are giving them like a two month notice.

I hate airBnB.. they charge you a hefty cleaning fee and then make you do chores like load the washing machine and dishwasher

Last edited:
Millard Park

We’ll stay though and we’re swingers. I gotta assume your old lady is hotter than mine.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
We had to cancel a bunch of reservations once when our dog got sick and we couldn't leave town. No problems. They are just trying to screw you over and then they will rent it to someone else.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I’ve stayed at three different locations in the last month, primarily because of the number of people in my party. Two of the three were great. The third… Not so much. You just have to look really closely at the reviews and understand how to read between the lines. Figured that out the hard way.

I'm not a Host but we frequently stay at airbnb's. My wife does most of the selection process and then shows me what she thinks I'll like.

It seems to me each Host can roughly have their own cancellation policy? So I would reread that and see if you are within their time frame and criteria for a 100% refund.

Sorry to hear about your fire. Good luck!

There is a wide variety of cancelation policies that we hosts can set. Ranging from no refunds at all to full refunds the day before or partial refunds whenever. Unfortunately it does tell you that when you book, so it’s sort of a contract in that way I guess, but that person is just being a dick with their policy since they know it will get booked anyways.

I have mine set for full refunds until 5 days before. I’ve only had 2 cancellations this year, around the 5 day mark, both were booked back up the next day. All you can do is contact air BnB and explain your situation. I know there are special circumstances they will fully refund you for.

My wife had to cancel an air bnb in Arizona due to Covid lockdowns in 2020. The host said no refund, she talked to air BnB and threatened to get the California attorney general involved. Air bnb is headquartered in San Fran. She got a full refund. Something to try for sure.

Interesting fact: I am currently hosting a family in one because their house caught on fire.

Last edited:
There is a wide variety of cancelation policies that we hosts can set. Ranging from no refunds at all to full refunds the day before or partial refunds whenever. Unfortunately it does tell you that when you book, so it’s sort of a contract in that way I guess, but that person is just being a dick with their policy since they know it will get booked anyways.

I have mine set for full refunds until 5 days before. I’ve only had 2 cancellations this year, around the 5 day mark, both were booked back up the next day. All you can do is contact air BnB and explain your situation. I know there are special circumstances they will fully refund you for.

My wife had to cancel an air bnb in Arizona due to Covid lockdowns in 2020. The host said no refund, she talked to air BnB and threatened to get the California attorney general involved. Air bnb is headquartered in San Fran. She got a full refund. Something to try for sure.

Interesting fact: I am currently hosting a family in one because their house caught on fire.

.....and wherebouts do these people currently rent from you? Be a pretty small world it it was off the interstate by 114th & Center St

If they won’t give any refund at all, then might as well say then alright we will go in some form with perhaps a different set of people. And then no show without cancelling. Should save the cleaning fee, and not let them book double revenue for being douchebags.

I did the airbnb hosting thing for a year in Puerto Rico, I was going to say that you just contact Airbnb directly and they should help you out.

I rarely stay at airbnb's.. most of the time, they are nightmares, because whomever is running it, doesn't usually know what they are doing, or just threw things together because they needed some quick money.

The place I rented out was setup for it, and had to tweak the advert and such in the beginning because lots of guests were trying to take advantage of the place. I was onsite in a third room on a separate floor.

Once I weeded out the wrong type of people, it ran fairly smoothly, but single unaccompanied women were the biggest headache of all. Always trying to twist the rules.. I had 2 young girls that wanted to bring back a small kiddie pool and set it up on the second floor balcony. This was a hard no, as I didn't own the property, but I can tell you there were lots of people trying to break the rules, sneak in extra guests, trying to throw massive parties, parking in the neighbors lawn, all a bunch of headaches.

Anyway, you're better off staying in a hotel/motel, at least they know how to run a business and they aren't tearing apart your bathroom sink 2 days in like a host did to me in Singapore. (they needed the sink fixed and didn't have the money, so became a host and while there, they got the funds and proceeded to have the vanity ripped apart during my stay.

If you have to do it, stay with super hosts only.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I would like to hear more about your arson neighbor
445e9922-b530-4732-b011-140768ace9fb_text.gif

I would like to hear more about your arson neighbor

Haha...good dude, just made a silly mistake. We have forgiven him and wish him well. It is what it is as they say...and what it is, is a royal PITA...but our needs have been met and its been an amazing experience. So much kindness being shown to us by so many different people. Warms the heart to see a community show out to help.

"...you're better off staying in a hotel/motel, at least they know how to run a business..."

I've had the opposite experience in staying at airbnb's. Frankly, I'm amazed at the Hosts we've dealt with in that they seem to know exactly what they're doing and are very personable without hovering over us like a parent.

I couldn't be a Host myself. One bad renter and I would be done.

I’ve used VRBO instead of AirBnB. Kind of the same thing, but I’ve never had VRBO ask me to mow the lawn. Never had a problem with what I would call bad hosts.

What is annoying is seeing a property listed for $200/night. So I think $600 for a 3 night stay. But no. After fees and taxes, it often ends up being $1137.

The best justification for a VRBO is if you are a large group, can really utilize a house with a full kitchen, and staying for more than a couple days. Otherwise, hotels are better.

Reactions: king_kong_
Just stayed in a vrbo in Carmel. Super nice — so nice that I was mortally afraid I’d knock over some heirloom and have my wages garnished for a year, or wash the towels inadequately. Gardeners came at 6 am every day, poor bastards, should have given em the day off of rose trimming and invited em in for a beer. Not worth it, gimme Best Western

I last used an airBnB like a year ago. The host had a lock box on the thermostat. wtf…

I also had to take my trash to the local dump. Ridiculous .. only hotels for me now.
you can always find properties on AirBnB (which sucks) or VRBO (better) and go straight to the owner or property management company and book directly so none of the horseshit blanket policies/cleaning fees apply

these are generally much better run properties than renting from some schmo who wants to pawn off his mortgage while living in the basement

couldn't recommend this approach more for longer term stays in places like Maui

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
.....and wherebouts do these people currently rent from you? Be a pretty small world it it was off the interstate by 114th & Center St
Nah it’s near downtown. Omaha has around 1400 air BnBs. So you are in one now then temporarily also? Was it a fireworks fire?!

I have been to Kent Pavelka’s house who lives near that area 😄

Last edited:
I have used VRBO 15-20 times all over the US and a stay in Canada over the last 10 years and have had great luck. Maybe we have been lucky, but really do our research and you can find out what the real total cost is before you book. We are usually a group of 4 or more and will use the kitchen, but my wife and I have stayed in smaller one-bedroom ones and feel it is still the best deal.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
"...you're better off staying in a hotel/motel, at least they know how to run a business..."

I've had the opposite experience in staying at airbnb's. Frankly, I'm amazed at the Hosts we've dealt with in that they seem to know exactly what they're doing and are very personable without hovering over us like a parent.

I couldn't be a Host myself. One bad renter and I would be done.
I didn't mean to imply all my experiences were bad, as I've had a few good ones, but most of the time it's been more hassle than it was worth.

Had a great experience in PR with a host that drove me around to look a properties to rent, and I didn't ask him to do that, he just offered to help and had the spare time. Super cool guy.

Also, my very last guest was a woman in her late 40's, by herself, with the most smoking body you've seen on a woman that age.. she walked around in a bikini and is asking for hugs while she is waiting for her uber to arrive. That was a memorable one.

There was a pair of swingers that stayed for a night.. so that was pretty interesting, but by and large I don't recommend airbnb.. next time, I'll try the vrbo

Oh that reminds me of another host in PR.. I stayed for one night and the pot smell coming from downstairs literally almost got me in trouble. I had my clothes out for the next morning to fly out of San Juan.. and what do you know, the drug dog sniffs my jeans, and then comes back and there is this awkward pause while the handler tells me to wait, and the dog gives me another go around.. I immediately knew what that dog could smell the pot on the jeans from just being in light contact. Luckily, it did not alert on me and I made out of there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT